Donovan Smith resigned: 3 years $41.25M ($27M guaranteed)

bucsfan333

1 minute ago, indifference said:

Bucs now have the 4th HIGHEST paid OL and they still cant run block for ****!

I love this franchise

About to find out the chicken versus egg argument or more appropriately was it the talent of the players or coaching.

9 minutes ago, indifference said:

Bucs now have the 4th HIGHEST paid OL and they still cant run block for ****!

I love this franchise

That’s a terrifying stat. 

I don’t hate this deal. 3 years is short enough that it gives us some flexibility and move on if this proves to be a huge mistake.

This deal is more about management. Letting Smith walk created additional problems for a position group that needed rebuilt anyway. We have enough holes on the roster as it is.

8 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

That’s a terrifying stat. 

I don’t hate this deal. 3 years is short enough that it gives us some flexibility and move on if this proves to be a huge mistake.

This deal is more about management. Letting Smith walk created additional problems for a position group that needed rebuilt anyway. We have enough holes on the roster as it is.

Yeah plus side is we are NOT committed long term to this mediocre player. He gets to play under a new coaching staff and if he cant turn it around we can let him go after year 2 with not much cap hit. 

19 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

That's crazy

4th highest? Yikes

Ryan jansen has the worst contract out the group but after next year he is gone and off the books as cap relief. Next year we wont be as high. Praying we draft a guard and next year move Marpet to C. Then 2020 go guard again via draft.

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

Could probably help ourselves here if we actually drafted/signed/fielded an above average RB...

Better yet draft a guard who does not let DL in the backfield literally one second after the qb that says hike. Smith is not benenoch bad of run blocker but the whiffs he has for a top 5 LT is out of this world. Maybe Warhop was the issue we’ll see.

Pretty clear this was always gonna happen. The LT market in FA is non-existent and the draft class isn't all that great, as mentioned above, no point in letting him go and creating another hole where there are clear holes all over the place. 

I like the deal from the perspective that its a prove-it type of extension. We can get out after two years and it gives Smith what he wants but still saves us a tad on this years cap. If he balls out he can get a big extension when he is 28. If he sucks, we will be in better position to cut bait in 2-3 years.

8 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Funny to look back at Smith's tweets from yesterday now...

He was literally tagged that day and then extended the next lol...

I have to imagine his agent's reaction to the contract the Bucs sent over. "You want to pay him how much???"

He probably thought the Bucs accidentally slipped in an extra 0 and called his client immediately to have him sign it before the Bucs realized their mistake.

This is a woeful signing. Just awful.

Archived