Texans tag Clowney

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

but the hype with him was crazy

Yeah. It was always going to be tough to see him actually match the hype. Little rough that two other guys from that same class turned into the player he was supposed to be though. 

I think the only problem is that his sack total should be 15 instead of 10. Other than that I see the most complete DE the last couple of years in the NFL. Clowney is elite creating pressure and stuffing the run. 2nd in TFL among DEs last 3 years I believe behind Chandler Jones who had 2 more. If Flowers is getting 15-18 on the market I would easily pay 20-22 for Clowney. Very underappreciated.

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

I think the only problem is that his sack total should be 15 instead of 10. Other than that I see the most complete DE the last couple of years in the NFL. Clowney is elite creating pressure and stuffing the run. 2nd in TFL among DEs last 3 years I believe behind Chandler Jones who had 2 more. If Flowers is getting 15-18 on the market I would easily pay 20-22 for Clowney. Very underappreciated.

Clowney is very polarizing. Looking at his numbers from a season to season view, this "complete" tag is totally justifiable. However, watching game to game and snap to snap - he's so hot and cold. One minute he looks half Predator/half Alien, crushing through everything in his way and knocking over everything that touched the ball on that play - it's impressive, and fun to watch. Other plays (probably the majority of them) he's getting washed by a TE, or taken out of a blitz by some small RB in pass protection.

If Clowney was truly a product of his skills, his numbers would be much higher.

17 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Clowney is a good player, maybe even great, but I can’t help but feel like he’s still been a massive disappointment.  Injuries have certainly slowed him down, but the hype with him was crazy.

I end up saying it in every Clowney thread, but they should have picked Mack  -  much better fit in their scheme.

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

I end up saying it in every Clowney thread, but they should have picked Mack  -  much better fit in their scheme.

Hindsight is 20/20 - Khalil Mack had questions on how he'd perform against top level talent, given his college career at Buffalo. 

He's disproved those questions, but let's not pretend they didn't exist when the Texans were on the clock in 2014.

Archived