Clowney gets Franchise Tag

mse326

What makes 0 sense about this is why did BOB take so long to trade him? He clearly knew he wanted to get rid of Clowney for a while. This wasn’t something that just happened. Why not trade him last year when he is actually under contract?

Instead they low ball him this offseason and franchise him and gave him all the leverage because as an unsigned player he can dictate where he goes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marco79 said:

What makes 0 sense about this is why did BOB take so long to trade him? He clearly knew he wanted to get rid of Clowney for a while. This wasn’t something that just happened. Why not trade him last year when he is actually under contract?

Instead they low ball him this offseason and franchise him and gave him all the leverage because as an unsigned player he can dictate where he goes.

Except that's not how leverage works.  Clowney's only BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement) was to just not play football and lose $1 million per week.  Come next year he would have gained nothing but sacrificing a year in his prime as Texans still held all the power to franchise him again and then his only choice is to throw another year and $16 away.   The only situation where he would have leverage on the Texans is if we were up against the cap and needed his $16 million in space, but we're already letting $36 million float away into the ether.  The only other situation is if we had assets that we coveted to compete this year or next and getting a pick back that is almost certainly worse than what we gave up to get the Browns 3rd string RB, a 6th round project LB which essentially replaces Duke Ejiofor, and a washout who would have been on the waiver wire today at 3p. 

If all we did was let Clowney walk this offseason instead of franchising him, we get a 3rd round comp pick which would be merely a few picks lower than whatever deep playoff run the 'Hawks make.  Getting a comp pick next offseason if we let Clowney walk after playing a year on the tag wouldn't be guaranteed as we likely will need to add more FAs than we lose, but it still could be managed with a competent front office that is ruled by strategic planning, not a petulant insecure child.  There is no possible objective reasoning for this other since "better than getting nothing" isn't even possible.  Let's just watch as the Hawks get Clowney AND their trade haul for Clark which was a 1st this year, and a 2nd next year and a swap of 3rds AND they get a 3rd round comp if they let Clowney walk.  Prepare to see this one alongside the Herschel Walker trade folks.  

Edited by Apollo Stallion

A lot of hawks fans liked Martin, so there is some potential there. An extra 3rd will be nice come draft day, we should have 3 of them now if we get a comp pick. 

It was obvious things had deteriorated between Clowney and the Texans and he didn’t have much value in his current contract state. 

I don’t think it tanks the season. It’s not gonna help but our secondary and o-line are still the keys to winning the division. 

I'm going to avoid any broad pronouncements about my fandom, but this certainly renders any rational discussions about franchise building completely pointless.   This franchise continues to build towards nothing while actively empowering individuals seeking to tear it down.  Hell, I include Clowney in that as for the 2nd time in 3 seasons we have essentially rewarded a guy who refused to play for us with a ticket to his dream destination.  As for O'Brien, this is a man with a high IQ and infinitesimal emotional IQ that has been granted unprecedented power for a man with so little tangible record of meaningful success and held in such low regard in his industry.  It's hard to find ownership you want to root for considering it's largely 1%ers who achieved their status thru family fortune, unscrupulous business dealings, or worse, but the Texans now boast 2nd generation Enron fraud fortune, clear evidence of racial bias, and in spending $50 million under the cap are not even trying to hide their blatant profiteering. 

There are individual players I will always root for like JJ, Nuk, and Watson, but as a franchise there is no wellspring of "good old days" to draw from like even Redskins, Raiders, or Dolphins fans can draw upon in dark days like this.   You can't be a fair weather fan, when the best you can hope for is a year without 118 heat indexes or debilitating flooding.  My pride in whatever that stupid longhorn/blue star ripoff helmet stands for or our retread unoriginal name that inherently limits our fanbase is at an all-time low.  Rooting for this team is like rooting for Applebee's as a favorite restaurant or Creed/Nickelback as your favorite band.  We exist as a pale imitation of greatness, settle for 3rd rate ingredients, abhor innovation, formulaic execution of an outmoded formula, and ultimately make a mockery of any of us who tried to believe outsiders were wrong about us.  We are a team that plays in a stadium with a retractable roof to let the real sun in, but like everything else with this franchise we are either too artificial, greedy, or incompetent to know how it works and they know the fans will come regardless. Until something drastically changes, there is no need for me to expend any energy expecting anything different when simply worse versions of "more of the same" is the reality.  This team no longer kindles joy, and will be put away in a box until I'm ready to leave it out at the curb hoping somebody picks it up, but more than likely just ends up in the landfill as it always meant more to me than most others anyway. 

I really don’t have any qualms about giving up two first round picks (that should be in the 20s) for a franchise LT. He has the potential to solidify Watson’s blindside for a decade.

Also, BOB probably would have blown the picks anyways, so I’m happy they got something worthwhile from them.