Clowney gets Franchise Tag

mse326

1 hour ago, amazingandre said:

This Clowney deal is getting worse by the minute. Reports are coming out that Houston agreed to pay Clowney 7 Million dollars (splitting the franchise tag amount with Seattle)

Yeah, just saw that. O'Brien REALLY got bent over on this, and for what? He didn't like Clowney? That's it?

It's just an incredibly immature thing to do, he literally cut his nose off to spite his face. It's something I'd expect myself to do with my Fantasy team. I should be besides myself after landing a franchise LT. But, this deal really kills the mood.

• Like 1

just started listening to SotT emergency pod but someone pointed out from it: 

• Clowney knew he wasn't sticking around in April.
  • Texans had a deal in place with Clowney that he'd play out the year on the tag. But he wouldn't be traded. Gaine ruined this by looking for trades.

https://mavensports.io/texans/news/episode-4-17-texans-gm-bill-o-brien-the-bull-in-a-china-shop-19NHcn57-ki10ZdhUSQMUg/ 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 9:10 AM, amazingandre said:

This Clowney deal is getting worse by the minute. Reports are coming out that Houston agreed to pay Clowney 7 Million dollars (splitting the franchise tag amount with Seattle)

O'Brien is stupid.  I have a feeling this is going to bite us real bad starting this season.

8 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

O'Brien is stupid.  I have a feeling this is going to bite us real bad starting this season.

So many questions have gone unanswered. Why did a trade have to get done? Why not just play him on the franchise tag this year if there was no other value. If you're the coach, why can't you repair this fractured relationship because "it's best for the team". Why are you pretending to be a GM? Would any team in their right mind fire their coach and elavate their GM to coach/GM of the team? Hell no. So what makes O'Brien think he's qualified?

I just want answers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaytrajik said:

So many questions have gone unanswered. Why did a trade have to get done? Why not just play him on the franchise tag this year if there was no other value. If you're the coach, why can't you repair this fractured relationship because "it's best for the team". Why are you pretending to be a GM? Would any team in their right mind fire their coach and elavate their GM to coach/GM of the team? Hell no. So what makes O'Brien think he's qualified?

I just want answers. 

From what I have read, after Clowney heard about the trade rumors in April, he refused to sign the franchise tender. 

So I’m not sure him playing for us this year was going to be an option. He seemed willing to sit out games over it. 

Its not great value but we did add two back up OLB, which we basically had no depth there at all. Martin has potential to be a decent 6-8 sack guy. We got a 3rd rounder to use, which next off season we are going to need a running back and possibly an OLB, both of which can be found in the 3rd round. 

It was botched from the start but getting depth and a pick as opposed to him sitting out part of the year and being a distraction is worth something.  

18 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

From what I have read, after Clowney heard about the trade rumors in April, he refused to sign the franchise tender. 

Couldn’t O’Brien say this was the doing of the now fired GM and that he wasn’t going to trade him? Maybe he did try and do that and Clowney wasn’t buying it still but it seems like that would have been a reasonable pitch to make.

This line of reporting kind of seems like it’s coming from someone close to O’Brien that wants to make him look like less of an idiot by being like he HAD to trade him because Gaine messed up the relationship beyond repair. However, if the relationship was beyond repair in April, why was he still held on to for so long? Why wasn’t he traded before the extension deadline? 

• Like 2