Clowney gets Franchise Tag

mse326

1 hour ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I am so glad garbage like this is out there to help sift thru the obvious blind speculation by people who know absolutely nothing about this organization.  Stills is a Kaepernick supporting kneeling "activist" who just got done publicly ripping his owner over his Trump support.  He is at best on the roster bubble as any 37 catch / 553 yard receiver making $9.7 million should be.  His base salary is $8 mil which we would still be on the hook for which is why he will be released and clear waivers before anyone touches him.  As for Tunsil, I'd be all for it if I thought it made any sense for the Dolphins at all to ditch top 3 young LT for one year of Clowney when they are clearly rebuilding.

The simple fact of the matter is that it makes no sense for either party to trade Clowney right now.  If we weren't going to resign him then we would be in a far better position to leverage the tag into a sign and trade since we have boatloads of cap space to eat the bonus to maximize our return vs. teams assuming the risk that he just walks next year or holds out to force a distressed asset trade on them.  For him, Houston is a known quantity with a rock solid front 7 to draw attention away from him, so just play it out and if you still want out, force the trade next offseason when all 31 teams can bid for your services vs. risking signing and being dealt to an undesirable location (sorry the Dolphins are no where near South Beach, play in a humid half empty stadium, and are staring at a full rebuild with a ton of 2nd halfs where teams are just running out the clock on them). If it's personal with Bob, then just hang with RAC and wait Bob out as if we don't have a playoff run in us this year, he's gotta be out, right? If it's personal for Bob, then why on earth would you let Clowney "win" by sending him to a contender for pennies on the dollar or draft picks you may not be here to use. If Clowney holds out for the season, then he holds out and we go thru this whole exercise again while saving $16 million and having full "sign and trade" leverage again.  Grown men should be able to work this stuff out or to me it's clearly another nail in O'Brien's coffin as "does not work well with others" is a tough tag to overcome when looking for a new job, especially when you've gotten two GMs fired.

You can't "play it out" if he wont sign the franchise tender and show up for work....

4 hours ago, amazingandre said:

Yeah Clowney is a real "lazy" player ¬¬

He is an extremely lazy player. No one said he wasnt great when it turns it on....he just doesnt turn it on every game.

yall are acting like im the first person to ever say this. His motor has been discussed about since his college days. If we got JJ Watt type effort from him every game, I'd pay him JJ Watt money. He has all the tools, he just goes entire games where you cant even tell hes out there. 

8 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

He is an extremely lazy player. No one said he wasnt great when it turns it on....he just doesnt turn it on every game.

yall are acting like im the first person to ever say this. His motor has been discussed about since his college days. If we got JJ Watt type effort from him every game, I'd pay him JJ Watt money. He has all the tools, he just goes entire games where you cant even tell hes out there. 

Wasn't there a stat on ESPN that said Clowney beat his man 37% of the time compared to Watt at 26%. At least something to that nature. Although I think the comparison to Watt is ridiculous and should in no way determine Clowney's value. 

On 8/15/2019 at 1:58 AM, ET80 said:

I wouldn't say no to this...but I wouldn't jump at it either. I'd be happier with a 3rd, as a "cost of business" deal to move him inside the AFC. Dupree would be an adequate body in the front seven, perhaps he'd turn that corner he was supposed to turn in Pittsburgh.

Wouldn't say no, which is more than what I can say about most offers people have hypothesized about so far.

Pittsburgh doesn't have a 3rd. It could be like a conditional higher of ANY compensatory or PIT 4th rd pick. 

It's moot, though. Because Clowney is headed elsewhere. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It’s all a moot point. Clowney refuses to come back and NFL network is saying he’s willing to miss regular season games. Idk what he’s trying to prove. We can’t sign him long term right now anyway 

He's not happy he's being mentioned as a trade option. I don't honestly blame him, this entire process has been nothing short of amateur hour at The Apollo. Someone call Mr. Sandman, tell him to give BOB the hook...

I hope the rest of the locker room takes notice and stops the whole "I love BOB" regurgitation they're trained to do with the media. We need an Arian Foster or a Duane Brown - someone who isn't going to be afraid to call out coaching and FO/ownership for this absolute embarrassment of an off-season. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Clowney-trade-Dolphins-Seahawks-Eagles-Jets-14396505.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

So, based on this - Clowney is rejecting certain teams because he wants to win. Philly and Seattle probably don't have the cap space to give him Donald/Mack money next off-season, but he's wanting to go there because he wants to win.

I have a feeling that Clowney has never wanted Donald/Mack money. He wanted to stay, but the FO lowballed him to the point to where nothing was accomplished.

Great job handling the 2nd best defender in team history...

11 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It’s all a moot point. Clowney refuses to come back and NFL network is saying he’s willing to miss regular season games. Idk what he’s trying to prove. We can’t sign him long term right now anyway 

He's not trying to prove anything. If he signs the tender then he can be dealt to any team and doesn't want to be dealt to franchises in a mess (ie Washington and Miami). Why would he give up his only leverage?

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I have a feeling that Clowney has never wanted Donald/Mack money. He wanted to stay, but the FO lowballed him to the point to where nothing was accomplished.

Yeah, I get this feeling too which makes this even more frustrating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Clowney-trade-Dolphins-Seahawks-Eagles-Jets-14396505.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

So, based on this - Clowney is rejecting certain teams because he wants to win. Philly and Seattle probably don't have the cap space to give him Donald/Mack money next off-season, but he's wanting to go there because he wants to win.

Great job handling the 2nd best defender in team history...

I wouldn't rank him ahead of Mario Williams.... 

Just now, ET80 said:

I would.

because you have some kind of modern day bias. 

Williams played 6 seasons for us, Clowney 5 and he missed nearly all the 1st one and was not very good the 2nd one. 

I mean i could post all the statistics, but peoples hatred of our front office(well deserved) is manifesting in this irrationally over rating of Clowney. 

4 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

because you have some kind of modern day bias. 

Williams played 6 seasons for us, Clowney 5 and he missed nearly all the 1st one and was not very good the 2nd one. 

I mean i could post all the statistics, but peoples hatred of our front office(well deserved) is manifesting in this irrationally over rating of Clowney. 

2x All Pro > 0 All Pro as a Texan.

That's all I need. I'm a simple guy like that. :D

Im getting tired of this discussion and I know you guys are too, but its that dead period with nothing else to talk about but lets look at last season

After two weeks of Clowney doing absolutely nothing, 3 tackles, and 1 tackle for loss, no QB Hits to start the season, ET Said "his calling card in the league is that he can stop the run (it's the only thing he can do, to be honest)"

Then he blows up for a DPOY performance against the colts with multiple sacks, QB hits and everything

Then 2 games where he records a total of 3 tackles and .5 sack

Then he blows up on Jacksonville in DPOY fashion. 

Then in only 3 of the next 9 games does he get more than 1 QB hit

in the last 9 games he records 4.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery and just 7 tackles for loss

He lives off his monster games and they build a rep. He is a very solid run defender, but can cover very well, even for an OLB, and hes an average pass rusher. 

I mean come on 4.5 sacks and 7 tackles for loss in the final 9 games, with JJ WATT taking up so much attention?????

But yeah, top 5 in the NFL.....

6 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Yes, media voting is always so reliable.....I mean seriously, Williams had 2 seasons better than either of Clowneys all pro years

You claimed @Apollo Stallion was scouting the box score with him, and now you are. Mario never had a even a good season. He had a couple seasons where he showed up and feasted against about 3 terrible teams making his numbers look better than he was. There is not a single rational person that can have watched them both and come out saying Mario was better.

• Like 2