Rock the first Mock

Rockice_8

Gonna try and keep this one short and sweet.  I'll do a quick write up regarding why for each player.  This is based on a mix of what I think we will do and what I want to do but more so what I think Mac will do.

Free agency comes first so lets go.

FA Offense: 

Roger Saffold - He is the best OG on the market and I think Mac knows he needs to protect is new investment.  At 31 I think he has 2-3 good years left and we overpay to secure him.

Mitch More - I hear a lot about Paradis but I like Morse better.  I think we throw a huge offer at him to lure him from KC.  He's younger than Paradis and hasn't allowed a sack in like 3 years.

Le'veon Bell - After landing two very good OL players I think we turn out attention to the best RB in football.  I doubt Mac wants to pay this much for a RB but he is forced by upper management.

Danny Amendola - I see Humphries mocked here quite a bit but I see us getting Amendola.  This would be Gase bringing in his guy to help the Wr core with his offense.  Not thrilled that we only land a guy like this for the WR core. 

FA Defense:

Preston Smith - Smith flies under the radar and isn't a 10 sack guy but he'll get you 7-9 and play the run well.  He'd be the perfect DE/OLB hybrid rusher.

Bryce Callahan - I think we pay big to land Callahan who is a really solid slot CB.  This is our big splash defensive signing.

Olivier Vernon - I think the NYG cut him and knowing Mac he'll look for a value signing for a guy he liked a few years back.  Vernon can handle the strong side in our defense and bring another 7=9 sack type guy.

Jamie Collins - I think we look to add LB depth and Collins is a value signing.  He's not the same player he was but I think Williams brings him as his guy who knows the defense and can rush/cover. 

NOW on to the DRAFT:  (only did the first 4 rounds because after that it's pointless)

With the #3 pick in the NFL draft the NY Jets select:  Quinnen Williams (DT) - Early on I was worried that we'd miss out on Bosa/Allen and be stuck with WIlliams.  After watching more film I'm not 100% sure Williams gets to us.  He is disruptive in the passing game and a flat out run game wrecker.  If there is one thing Williams loves to do that is let his DL attack gaps.  A Williams duo will be something we can build a defense around for a long time.

#68 - Connor McGovern (OG/C) - Versatile OL player that could probably start from day 1 but would be best served as a backup to Saffold/Morse for a 1-2 years before becoming the long term solution at one of those two spots.  I expect a ton of revamping coming to the OL look no further than the next pick  

#93 - Tytus Howard (RT/RG) - Small school player big time talent.  Big man with plus athleticism.  A versatile OL player who can sit behind Winters/Shell and eventually take over as the RT/RG down the road.  Would need a 1 year to sit and learn as a backup but the payoff could be huge if he is a long term RG/RT prospect we can mold.

#105 - Miles Boykin (WR) - My pick for steal of the draft.  At 6'4" 220 he is an imposing figure at WR.  He is very much in the mold of Kenny Goliday, big strong fast.  He has fluid hips and is quick in and out of his breaks and not just a straight line guy.  Will need some seasoning on his technique and concentration but the talent here is too hard to pass up.  

Depth Chart:

Offense:

QB: Darnold
RB: Bell, Crowell, McGuire
WR: Q, Anderson, Amendola, Boykin, Burnett
TE: Herndon, Sterling, Leggett
LT: Beachum, Qvale
LG: Saffold, McGovern
C: Morse, Harrison
RG: Winters, Dozier
RT: Shell, Howard 

Defense (3-4 Base):

DE/OB: Smith
DT: Q. Williams
DT: Leo
DE/OLB: Vernon
ILB: Williamson, Lee, Collins
CB: Johnson, Jones, Callahan, Roberts, Nickerson
SS: Adams
FS: Maye 

I was working up a mock but I’ll just stuff away. It is very similar to yours.

The draft: I know a large amount of us want to trade down, but I don’t see it any more. I see us getting one of Bosa, Allen or Q. I’m projecting Bosa to be gone. And of the remaining prospects, Q seems like the pick all parties will get behind. 

I like double dipping along the OL and getting a receiver in the 4th. 

Looking at your depth chart, this is a team we can behind. That front 4 will cause havoc. Darnold would have enough to not be forced to carry the team. 

I like it. But I just can’t get behind Q for us. DT is so low on our list of needs unless he’s the next Aaron Donald... for me it’s a failed pick. Even if he’s as good as Leo it’s a failed pick for me, Bc it’s not a need. I’d rather an edge there or just take a OLineman or Metcalf. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I like it. But I just can’t get behind Q for us. DT is so low on our list of needs unless he’s the next Aaron Donald... for me it’s a failed pick. Even if he’s as good as Leo it’s a failed pick for me, Bc it’s not a need. I’d rather an edge there or just take a OLineman or Metcalf. 

I know where you stand we've talked about it.  I stated it was more what I think Mac will do with a little bit of what I want sprinkled in.

I just know if we have the best player in the draft sitting on the board at 3 that is a Mac pick if I ever saw one.  

We need pass rush and think with a front 4 of Smith, Q, Leo, Vernon that should be good enough.  Those two interior guys will wreak havoc since you know Williams is going to let them 1-gap in his system.  Even with mediocre edge players that is a scary DL.

Good teams build the trenches up and that's what we should be doing.  I signed two OL and 2 DL guys then used my first 3 picks on DL and OL players.  We need to do this thing right. 

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

I know where you stand we've talked about it.  I stated it was more what I think Mac will do with a little bit of what I want sprinkled in.

I just know if we have the best player in the draft sitting on the board at 3 that is a Mac pick if I ever saw one.  

We need pass rush and think with a front 4 of Smith, Q, Leo, Vernon that should be good enough.  Those two interior guys will wreak havoc since you know Williams is going to let them 1-gap in his system.  Even with mediocre edge players that is a scary DL.

Good teams build the trenches up and that's what we should be doing.  I signed two OL and 2 DL guys then used my first 3 picks on DL and OL players.  We need to do this thing right. 

I agree with a lot of what you have based on what you have done. Just think to go along with what you've done (which I like) is exactly why I think Q being drafted by us wont happen. We've let 3 star DLineman go via FA, trade or cut (Snacks, Sheldon and Mo). We haven't gotten a ton our of our top pick in Leo and just drafted Shepard with a valuable pick. We also will likely resign Anderson. All this has been done in Macc's tenure. Therefore I think the likelihood of him using that valuable of a pick on another DLineman is very far fetched. Just my opinion though. I'm trying to think what Macc will do and that's what I think. I think we go edge, Metcalf or OL at 3 or in a trade back.

54 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with a lot of what you have based on what you have done. Just think to go along with what you've done (which I like) is exactly why I think Q being drafted by us wont happen. We've let 3 star DLineman go via FA, trade or cut (Snacks, Sheldon and Mo). We haven't gotten a ton our of our top pick in Leo and just drafted Shepard with a valuable pick. We also will likely resign Anderson. All this has been done in Macc's tenure. Therefore I think the likelihood of him using that valuable of a pick on another DLineman is very far fetched. Just my opinion though. I'm trying to think what Macc will do and that's what I think. I think we go edge, Metcalf or OL at 3 or in a trade back.

I agree with a lot you said, except the part about Mo and Sheldon being star DL.  They had their moments but we let them go for a reason.  However, if I recall correctly, Mac stated two things when he was hired.  1.  Draft a pass rusher in every draft and 2.  be strong up the middle.  Number 2 is what he seemed to concentrate on his first couple of drafts (Leo, Lee, Adams and Maye).  Then he went for need with a QB.  This could very well be the year we get a legitimate pass rusher in the draft.  I have a hard time believing he would pass up Bosa or Allen.  However, I also think Q is definitely in play with our new DC whispering - no yelling - in his ear.  Barring a trade back, one of those three will be a jet at the end of April.

I can dig most of it.  I'd want us to do more to address WR.  Amendola is gonna be 34 years old during the season, and has never had a 700 yard season in his entire career.... and he has been on some good offenses.  Boykin lit up the combine, but man... he has a ton of work to do on his route running.  I know we are getting Bell but i really think we need to give Sam another top notch target.  

I like this off season and I agree that Boykin could be a steal. He might have been the star of the combine - 4.42 40, 6.77 3 cone, (best for WRs), 4.07 short shuttle (3rd among WR) 43.5” vertical (best for WRs) , and 11’8” broad (2nd for WRs)

Archived