What is Rosen worth and to who?

dll2000

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001020910/article/is-qb-josh-rosen-worth-more-than-a-thirdround-pick

What is the trade market for Rosen if traded?  Article per sources say he should go for a third. 

Who wants him and how bad?

Teams that need QBs off top of my head are:

1. Jacksonville - reportedly going to sign Foles.

2. Redskins - reportedly interested in Rosen.

3. Denver - Rosen reportedly wasn't even on their draft board last year.

4. Miami - No reports.

5.- Giants - Apparently going to roll with Manning one more year.

6. All teams with aging QBs: NE, Pitt, SD, GB, NO.

Just one team rumored to have even a little bit of interest is the Redskins.  Be kind of silly to bid against themselves.  I think you start talking 3rd round as the cost and more teams would take a chance on Rosen with a 3rd rounder hoping to parlay him into either a future high pick with some good pre season showings or perhaps he develops into a good QB behind your starter.  May take at least a 2nd to get it done even with no other teams expressing interest.  

I only saw Rosen play once last year and he was awful, but his team was awful and he was a rookie.  Kind of hard to judge without more.  Weird for a team to give up on a first round player after one year, but best time to do it is when you are at top of draft and its not like old days when first round pick would have been making a fortune.

If they are willing to move on from him after just one year that has to be a red flag to any team trading for him.  That has to be at the very least an embarrassing move for the GM.

Edited by dll2000
Forgot something

I just posted this in another thread regarding the Giants.

However, according to Bleacher Report lead draft analyst Matt Miller, the Giants may have another means for finding a young quarterback to groom behind Manning. Per Miller's anonymous sources, the Giants would have interest in trading for Cardinals second-year quarterback Josh Rosen if he is made available via trade. On the 'Stick to Football' podcast, Miller named the Giants as the team who would have "serious interest" in trading for Rosen.

This is tempting because you get to keep the sixth pick and probably get rid of Eli's cap hit this year. 

• Like 3

I know every GM makes mistakes, but its funny how in the same offseason Keim signed an extension, he hires a head coach that they give up on after one year and drafted a QB who they will (or so the speculation says) give up on after not even a full 16 game season.  Usually messing up at two of the most important positions on a team that severely, not to mention all of their other problems, would get a GM fired.

Personally, even if they draft Murray, I don't see any reason to not hang onto Rosen unless they are that cap-strapped.  Never know, maybe he sees the field for the Cards again (assuming Murray doesn't start immediately in this hypothetical) and manages to raise his stock.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I know every GM makes mistakes, but its funny how in the same offseason Keim signed an extension, he hires a head coach that they give up on after one year and drafted a QB who they will (or so the speculation says) give up on after not even a full 16 game season.  Usually messing up at two of the most important positions on a team that severely, not to mention all of their other problems, would get a GM fired.

Personally, even if they draft Murray, I don't see any reason to not hang onto Rosen unless they are that cap-strapped.  Never know, maybe he sees the field for the Cards again (assuming Murray doesn't start immediately in this hypothetical) and manages to raise his stock.

At least he isn't wasting time correcting mistakes to save face.  Still embarrassing.

1 hour ago, AlNFL19 said:

If I'm Bill Belichick and the Cards start shopping Rosen for a third I'm all over it.

A lot of teams would probably make the move for a third.  It's a decent gamble.  First rounders always get a second chance somewhere.  

If he looks good filling in for injury or pre season at any point he suddenly becomes a hot trade commodity for any QB needy team of the moment in the future.  

Or maybe he becomes your guy.

You just can't wait too long after he is hot.  He is either your new guy or you get rid of him and sell high. 

Rosen was clearly the worst rookie QB last year. But with that being said he still has a ton of potential. He was my 2nd favorite QB coming out besides Baker for me. I think going to a place where he could sit a year will do wonders for him.

3rd seems cheap, almost to the point of not even being worth it. Might as well keep him to backup Kyler until his contract runs out or trade him when a) need the cap room or b) his value shoots up (Kyler goes down a few games, Rosen looks good. Boom, suddenly we're talking 2nd at minimum, maybe a 1st). Obviously if they think he has that much of an attitude/ego that he will be a distraction if he's backing up a younger QB then you have to move him, but otherwise I'd say hold onto him, assuming Cards even do go Kyler.

However, I feel like he could fetch more than a 3rd. Wait until after the draft or after a few top QBs are off the board, and you'll see the leverage turn in your favor.

17 minutes ago, Danger said:

No higher than a 2nd round pick. He was by far the most disappointing of the Rookie QBs due to supposedly being the most pro ready. David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald don't make for a lack of weapons.

He was working behind the worst OL in the whole NFL though, so he was thrown into the deep end in that regard. I don't think Rosen is anything special, but Goff didn't in his first year. 

I think he would be a good choice for any team with an aging QB who are looking for a potential replacement, especially for a third, although I think it would take more than that though. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

If I'm Bill Belichick and the Cards start shopping Rosen for a third I'm all over it.

If I'm Belicheck, I'm going as high as a 1st. Overpay, sit Rosen for two/three years, unleash him when Brady gets to 45.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Usually messing up at two of the most important positions on a team that severely, not to mention all of their other problems, would get a GM fired.

There's only two GMs to ever survive drafting a QB bust in the top 10. Ozzie Newsome, and Dave Caldwell. And Caldwell has 0 business being the second one, but here the Jaguars are giving him a second chance to find a QB this year too. Keim I guess could be the third if they really let him off the hook for Rosen.

• Like 1