What is Rosen worth and to who?

dll2000

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'll put it like this - the Cardinals could very well select Murray and trade Rosen this Thursday. If they do, they are in line for an 0-16 season (because it's not like Murray is going to do any better with that Arizona offense) and somebody just got a top 10 QB for peanuts and will look incredibly smart in 2-3 years.

lol

I'll give you the fact that we cant really evaluate Rosen based on the bad team he was on with poor coaching, but proclaiming him as a top 10 QB is jumping the gun as well. 

Seems like Rosen is getting a case of confirmation bias. Those who like him, are going to overlook the bad stuff. People who hate him see the poor play and think hes trash. Its probably somewhere in the middle. I think his absolute upside is Cousins with a slightly worse arm, or maybe he will be Eli Manning. He will probably be a viable starter for someone, but I really don't see why he will ever be an 'elite' QB without an elite supporting cast (cough Goff cough)

Murray will give them a better chance to win games in year one for the simple reason he is mobile. Rosen moves like Eli Manning without as good pocket awareness. That is a horrible combination to have with a terrible OL like the cards have. With Murray, at least he will be able to scramble and make plays downfield. He has a much better arm than Rosen does. 

As a niners fan, I hope they keep Rosen. The absolute best version of Rosen is much easier to beat than the best version of Murray imo.

In my mind he's worth a late second. If last year he was worth a 1st round pick under the assumption that he was controlled for five years, and last year was essentially a wash, I think you take one round off his value for four years of control, and slot it towards the later half of the round for poor performance.  I think the Dolphins would be a fit.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Everyone who suggest the Cardinals should wait until camp and trade him once a team's QB gets injured, "Look it works for the Eagles sending Bradford to the Vikings".

Bradford had years of experience at this point as a starter who was a former #1 pick. 
Rosen on the other hand has started 7 games, looked bad for the most part even if it wasn't all on him, and was the 4th QB taken in his draft class. There's no way that if Rosen is going to be good enough to carry your team to the playoffs, yet. That's why the Vikings were so desperate. Bradford did have that ability and experience to back that up. Rosen has shown neither. It's in the Cardinals best interest to trade Rosen straight up for a 2 between now and the draft.

I think a big thing to remember was Bridgewater got hurt right before the season began. I'm sure that drove the price up due to our desperation/need to get a QB.

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

I think a big thing to remember was Bridgewater got hurt right before the season began. I'm sure that drove the price up due to our desperation/need to get a QB.

That's what I'm assuming is happening for things to play out the Cardinals want them to. Even IF that happens, Rosen doesn't offer the same immediate relief and ability to step in right away and them where they want to go that Bradford did, even if Bradford had already peaked in his career. 

tl;dr, that post was stated with someone getting hurt similarly to Bridgewater as a given. If that doesn't happen, then the chances of them getting decent value in return go from slim to none.

Edited by Danger

Just now, Danger said:

That's what I'm assuming is happening for things to play out the Cardinals want them to. Even IF that happens, Rosen doesn't offer the same immediate relief and ability to step in right away and them where they want to go that Bradford did, even if Bradford had already peaked in his career. 

I would agree with you there on that same scenario then. No way Rosen would fetch a 1st towards the start of the season ala Bridgewater/Bradford.

Well if an NFL team (albeit the Card) valued him enough to move up spaces to get him in the top 10, what has a year of [inconclusive] done to dent him so far that he'd be worth less than a first?

OR it was only Arizona that valued him that highly in the first place - in which case why trade up to get him, he'd have been there anyway? And...if they DID value him that high, they surely still do. Unless he's terrible to work with.

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

Well if an NFL team (albeit the Card) valued him enough to move up spaces to get him in the top 10, what has a year of [inconclusive] done to dent him so far that he'd be worth less than a first?

OR it was only Arizona that valued him that highly in the first place - in which case why trade up to get him, he'd have been there anyway? And...if they DID value him that high, they surely still do. Unless he's terrible to work with.

QBs are like cars. The moment it leaves the lot, it's value depreciates. (Unless some amazing level of play happens).

Essentially his value has fallen due to his draft slot not being realized thus far.

Edited by Danger

27 minutes ago, N4L said:

I'll give you the fact that we cant really evaluate Rosen based on the bad team he was on with poor coaching, but proclaiming him as a top 10 QB is jumping the gun as well. 

Ok, I'll admit that I overstated this. I think I was trying to say top 10 selection, but got my wires crossed.

My bad. :$

• Like 1

At this point the cardinals best shot, if they take Murray is to hope someone jumps up to grabs Haskins. That could push a qb needy team to feel the pressure to make a move for Rosen. Say the giants move up and grab him, that  could force teams like Miami, Washington, Jacksonville, and Tampa to be more aggressive, especially since banking on getting their guy in the second will be a very risky gamble with teams like denver, San Diego, new England, the saints and Pittsburgh all with older qbs that could decide to take their heir apparents with late firsts or early seconds.  

7 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Agreed. Not just QBs, any player. 

It's moreso with QBs in my eye because of the process that over inflates their draft stock. Once things have played out, their draft stock holds no value and their judged... more fairly.

I just can’t see why any team would look at the available options and think “yeah I’d rather burn this first rounder on Drew Lock or Daniel Jones than Josh Rosen”.

Murray and Haskins I guess I get, or can at least understand why someone would prefer them, but the other two?  Not so much.

• Like 3