Are You Smarter Than an NFL GM (Make Your 2017 Picks Here!)

y2lamanaki

For the results from 2014 (with previous years' linked), click here: 

The idea behind this is to wait the three years that are typically given to draft classes before analyzing the results, and then seeing how our own personal draft classes (previously, I used mock drafts) stack up against our own GM's. It had been a fairly easy task to outdo the GM in previous drafts (thanks Baalke), but it's a new regime and this will hopefully provide some interesting results (down the road). 

Last year there was only one draft day trade, so everyone was able to choose between keeping the one trade, or keeping the original picks. This year - this became a lot more complicated by frequent moves during the draft. So, without creating a series of endless options of trades, I created what would likely be the five most popular options (basically - you either keep the 3rd day moves with other trades and deal with it, or you get no trades). 

What you do in this thread, is pick ONE of the following five draft options, and select a player at each spot. You may keep the player the 49ers selected at that spot (or if you pick an option where we have picks we ended up trading, you may pick the player the other team selected at that spot), or you may select anyone that was available on the board at that draft slot. If you skip over a player the 49ers picked, you CAN NOT draft them at a later spot, nor can you pick a 49ers player selected at a spot later than where they were drafted. For example - if you choose Option B and have only the Solomon Thomas trade, you may not draft Reuben Foster at #34. You also may not make additional trades. You MUST select one of the five options. 

Here are the options: 

Option A – The Original Picks: 

1) #2 overall 
2) #34 overall 
3) #66 overall 
4) #109 overall 
4) #143 overall 
5) #146 overall 
5) #161 overall 
6) #186 overall 
6) #202 overall 
7) #219 overall 

Option B – The Solomon Thomas Trade Only: 

1) #3 overall 
2) #34 overall 
3) #66 overall 
3) #67 overall 
4) #109 overall 
4) #111 overall 
4) #143 overall 
5) #146 overall 
5) #161 overall 
6) #186 overall 
6) #202 overall 
7) #219 overall 

Option C – Solomon Thomas & Reuben Foster Trades: 

1) #3 overall 
1) #31 overall 
3) #66 overall 
3) #67 overall 
4) #109 overall 
4) #143 overall 
5) #146 overall 
5) #161 overall 
6) #186 overall 
6) #202 overall 
7) #219 overall 

Option D – All 49ers Trades 

1) #3 overall 
1) #31 overall 
3) #66 overall 
3) #104 overall 
4) #121 overall 
5) #146 overall 
5) #177 overall 
6) #198 overall 
6) #202 overall 
7) #229 overall 

Option E – All 49ers Trades Minus the Trade for a Future 2nd: 

1) #3 overall 
1) #31 overall 
3) #66 overall 
3) #67 overall 
3) #104 overall 
4) #121 overall 
5) #146 overall 
5) #177 overall 
6) #198 overall 
6) #202 overall 
7) #229 overall

Please use this format when replying (Comments optional): 

1) #3 - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio St. 
1) #31 - Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama 
3) #66 - Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama 
3) #104 - Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M 
4) #121 - Desmond King, CB, Iowa 
5) #146 - Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise St. 
5) #177 - Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami (Fl) 
6) #198 - Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech 
6) #202 - Elijah Qualls, DT, Washington 
7) #229 - Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia 

Some quick thoughts: 

-Love the Solomon Thomas pick, but I have to go with my #2 on my Big Board in this scenario (Hooker). For me, Ward stays at CB, Hooker at FS, Reid at SS. 

-Foster is one of the best draft value picks in some time, as far as I’m concerned. Never would have guessed this would be possible. 

-Also love Witherspoon, but I love Williams more. This gives me three guys with a first round talent grade on my board. I think Williams will have a nice career as a mid-range sack producer (8-10 sacks/season) 

-I view King and Ward similarly. Can play CB/S, and would not need to do a lot of either early on. But I think he was a much better player than his draft status, so to find him in the 4th is big. I got my WR last round, and while I’d love a RB, there are a lot of guys still on the board at this spot and I’d pass – assuming that my top back (McNichols) would be gone by the next pick. 

-Except he’s not – so McNichols. 

-Shocked to find Kaaya so low (thought for sure he’d be a 3-5 range guy), so I pick him as the 3rd QB, and one of the few guys in this draft that I’d feel comfortable with at QB. 

-Not a lot of explanation needed on the last guys. I once advocated for Orlosky at #66, and I think he’s far closer to that spot in the draft than the undrafted player he ended up as. So I take him late.

Archiving other replies from old forum: 

GEEK: 

1) #3 overall Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford 
1) #31 overall Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama 
3) #66 overall Akhello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado 
3) #104 overall Dorian Johnson, OG, Pittsburgh 
4) #121 overall Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina 
5) #146 overall George Kittle, TE, Iowa 
5) #177 overall Joe Williams, RB, Utah 
6) #198 overall DJ Jones, NT, Ole Miss 
6) #202 overall Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami 
7) #229 overall Josh Harvey-Clemons, S, Louisville 

I loved the first three picks of our draft, they were all A+ for me. I would really have been ok with 3-4 other prospects at third overall too, so as long as we snatched one of them (we did) then it would have gotten high marks from me anyways. 

I skip out on Beathard to grab Johnson instead. I see him as someone who will be a solid starter in the league and that is too valuable to pass up at the end of the third round. Plus it would help solidify our interior line for the next five years. 

Switzer is just too good to pass up here. He's going to be a stud. 

I liked the Kittle pick. I think he will fit in great here. 

The Joe Williams pick might be cheating a little. If hypothetically we didn't pick him earlier and he fell here, I'd love to grab him. He's going to be a great scheme fit for us and a solid change of pace back for Hyde. 

Really couldn't figure out who else I'd pick here instead of Jones, so he stays. 

Kaaya is still available? Oh, [inappropriate/removed] yeah. He'll be a great player to develop for Shanny and we get really good value. He could be something one day. 

Josh HC is a big fast guy, so why not take a shot. At worst we get a good special team gunner.

48 1/2ers: 

1) #3 overall - Solomon Thomas DE 
1) #31 overall - Reuben Foster LB 
3) #66 overall - Fabian Moreau CB 
3) #104 overall - CJ Beathard QB 
4) #121 overall - Jake Butt TE 
5) #146 overall - Joe Williams RB 
5) #177 overall - Sam Tevi OL 
6) #198 overall - DJ Jones DT 
6) #202 overall - Robert Davis WR 
7) #229 overall - Josh Harvey-Clemons SS 

- I'll stay with these first couple picks as I was a moderate fan of Thomas but a huge fan of Foster. I think with the trades and players available it couldnt have been better. 

- I think Foster will have a bigger impact than Thomas but both will be competing for All Pro spots by year 4. 

- Moreau was a 1st round cb and should not have still been available in the 3rd, his torn pectoral issue is a freak incident that I cant see limiting him in his career. I think he is a better player than Witherspoon right now and gives the option of moving to safety later in his career. 

- You know I liked a few qb's but something about the conviction from Shanahan gives me confidence in his opinion Beathard so while I may be smarter than the GM i'm not smarter than our coach when it comes to assessing qb talent. 

- I think Butt will be one of the top 3 TE's from this class which is loaded. His knee issues are concerning but thats really a risk worth taking here in the 4th round if he's a complete prospect across the board. 

- JoeWill's off the field issues look better when the details emerge. Talent wise there was not a better back available at this point in the draft and I while I dont hate Hyde after him we are thin so I like this pick. 

- I think we should have addressed the o-line this draft and Utah had a lot of talented guys it put out this year with Tevi being one of them. Physically he has everything you look for in a swing tackle and did well in blocking for the guy we picked right before. 

- I stayed with DJ Jones I love this pick by Lynch, a stout DT in the 4-3 who doesnt need to rack up statistics to make an impact. 

- Robert Davis is a 6'3 220 big bodied receiver with 4.4 speed 41 inch vert and 6.8 3 cone is not something you see often from guys in the 6th round. He's a project but we dont have this physical receiver on our roster right now and he could contribute of ST immediately until he develops as a WR. 

- Lastly Harvey-Clemons is Kam Chancellor esque, the type of player who would have been picked much earlier but 3 failed drug test in his college career caused him to fall. If i'm GM I make this pick then immediately use that cap room have to hire the most expensive babysitter money can buy for him and foster.

Melbourne 9er:

1) #3 overall - Jamal Adams S 
3) #66 overall - Jordan Willis LEO 
3) #104 overall - Tedric Thompson FS 
4) #121 overall - Joe Williams RB 
5) #146 overall - George Kittle TE 
5) #177 overall - Trent Taylor WR 
6) #202 overall - Brad Kaaya QB 
7) #229 overall - Kyle Fuller C 

Kept a few of the same players as Lynch and Shanny as I will defer to their judgement on the offensive skill players. 

Also no problem with Foster or Jones as they are BPA at positions of need. 

In this scenario we keep Jimmie at CB where he improved on a week by week basis. We then strengthen the back 3rd with the best player in the draft in Adams along with Thompson in the late 3rd. 

We get our LEO in the 3rd with Willis so we can use Armstead and Buckner in their best positions. 

We then get our developmental QB and extra OL depth at the end of the draft.

Fureys49ers:

I'll take option B - Solomon Thomas Trade Only 

I'll make sure as best as possible to note that next year I only have one 2nd rounder. 

1 (3) - Solomon Thomas, DE/3-Tech 
2 (34) - Budda Baker, FS/NB 
3 (66) - Akhelio Witherspoon, CB 
3 (67) - Derek Rivers, DE/OLB 
4 (109) - Chad Hansen, WR 
4 (111) - Marlon Mack, RB 
4 (143) - Jake Butt, TE 
5 (146) - Anthony Walker Jr., ILB 
5 (161) - Deangelo Yancey, WR 
6 (186) - Chase Roullier, C/OG 
6 (202) - Brad Kaaya, QB 
7 (219) - Elijah Lee, LB 

- Wanted Thomas all a long so I'm more than happy with that pick. 
- Baker and Ward basically provide the same capability allowing us to get two versatile, playmakers on the field at once while Reid plays in the box. 
- Witherspoon possess' a great skill set for what we'll be asking of our CBs in our new scheme, love the idea of him and Robinson on the outside. 
- Didn't think Rivers would drop this far and think he would develop very nicely as our SAM LB with the ability to play LEO as well. 
- Next four picks are offensive players I really like, I don't mind Williams, Kittle and Taylor but I prefer these other four more. Also like the size and skill set of both Hansen and Yancey as opposed to another slot WR in Taylor. Love Macks explosiveness and big play ability. 
- Walker and Lee provide different skill sets and physical abilities, Walker being more of a MIKE and Lee maybe more of a WILL or even SAM if he fills out a little more and becomes more physical. Either way they provide youth and depth behind probable starters in this scenario of Smtih and Bowman. 
- Roullier became a favorite of mine with his ability to play both OG and C effectively and his all around skill in both the run and pass game. Would be great guy to have as our swing interior OL on game days. Not a huge fan of Barnes and Kilgore can never stay healthy. 
- A little shocked that Kaaya lasted as long as he did but I like the fit in Shanahan's system. Arm isn't great but I like his game above the shoulder pads playing well in three different schemes in his three years at Miami. Would probably our back up QB for the future but I get a good feeling about this kid.

Gore Whore 21:

Option F – The Solomon Thomas Trade + The Trade for a Future 2nd: 
OK. So last year I did this, it was pretty much the 49ers draft with a few minor changes. After readin about these draft picks we make, it's very hard for me not to like them, and I really do with our guys; however I'm going to try and go back to when the actual picks and trades were being made and put down who I thought we should have draft (obviously with hindsight on my side for who went at what pick). 
*This draft includes me keeping Jimmie Ward at CB 

1) #3 overall - Leonard Fournette RB LSU 
2) #31 overall - Reuben Foster LB Alabama 
3) #66 overall - Daeshon Hall DE TAM 
4) #109 overall - Josh Malone WR Tennessee 
4) #143 overall - Jake Butt TE Michigan 
5) #146 overall - Roderick Johnson OT FSU 
5) #161 overall - Caleb Brantley DL Florida 
6) #186 overall - Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech 
6) #202 overall - Brad Kaaya QB Miami 
7) #219 overall - Malachi Dupre WR LSU 

big9erfan:

I'm ready to give this a try. To start with let me say I'm thrilled with our draft and like it more than any in years. Whether it turns out as well as I hope we won't know for years. Since it's not much fun to just say "OK, I'll just go with what we did", I'll make some changes As Forge already said, there are just so many ways to go with this draft. I still don't like being tied to the options given since it doesn't allow me to use each pick the way I want. So I'm going with that options and will just say what I would do with every draft pick we had going into the draft season. 

2 - Traded to Bears for 3 and 67 and 111. Brilliant trade! 
3 - Solomon Thomas. Love Thomas! 
31 - Reuben Foster (received in trade for 34 and 111). Love Foster! 
66 -Jordan Willis ... this spot is absolutely the hardest for me. I like Witherspoon a lot, and I might like Moreau even a bit more. But I also like Kupp, and Elfein, and Williams, and others. But pass rushing is the defense's equivalent of quarterbacking in terms of how important it is and I just don't see any guy at all with high potential on our team. So I'm taking a guy I think can be solid, even if not spectacular, here. My final choice came down to Willis or Williams. Willis is an inch taller, 10 pound heavier, faster, quicker, and more productive even though he wasn't surrounded by studs like Williams was. Still it's a really close call and I think Williams might become a double digit sack guy. 
67 - traded for 229 and NO's 2nd rounder next year. Excellent trade! 
104 - I am NOT making the move up to take Beathard 
109 - Beathard ... this might be cheating a bit since he could be taken by another team if we don't move up to 104 to get him. But I think he would have lasted and would take him here. I should add that this Beathard has grown on me. I actually remember his 2015 season and thought he had some nice potential. Then I saw 2016 and just kind of gave up on him. 
111- traded along with 34 for 31 
121 - I am not moving up for Williams so keeping 143 and 161. 
143 (kept not traded) - Jake Butt. Kittle could turn out better, but I've liked Butt for his whole career. 
146 - Desmond King - since I didn't take Witherspoon I'm finally taking a CB. Obviously he hasn't got the same potential as Witherspoon or Moreau, but he's solid and has really good ball skills. I like that in a CB. Also think he's got some potential as a S and I like that versatility too. 
161 (kept not traded for Williams) - Jeremy Mcnichols (since I didn't go with the Williams trade up). I've always liked Brian Hill, but with McNichols still here I'm taking a shot at him. 
177 - NO WAY am I trading next year's fourth (likely high) for a comp 5th rounder this year plus Bibbs. IMHO this was a very bad trade. To make a pick here, which I assume everyone else will do, I'll go ahead and stick with Taylor, without giving it much thought because I just would never make this trade. Next year I'll remember to give myself back that 4th! Edit - I just noticed that without Jones I don't have a defender in the middle in this draft so maybe I take Caleb Brantley here if I have to stick with a pick at 177. 
198 - Robert Davis having not done the trade to get Taylor I take a BIG receiver here. Davis is bif, fast, and incredibly productive. Raw as heck, but lots of potential and I'm tired of not having a big WR on this team.
202 - Pita why not another potential pass rusher; that's how important I think pass rusher is - and what I think of our current guys 
219 (I didn't trade this pick to move up for beathard) - Jalen Myrick doubling up on CBs since I didn't take one at 66 
229 - Chad Kelly. I'm tempted to take either Elijah Lee or Isaiah Ford here both of whom have a chance to make it in the NFL, which is all I hope for from a 7th rounder. But QB being as important as it is I'll go ahead and take Kelly here. Cut him fast if he gets out of line, and hope Shanahan can get something out of him. Little to lose here as anyone taken this late has marginal chances. In reality I might be afraid another team would sign Breida and take him here, but since I've got some hindsight I'll pick Kelly and sign Breida as a UDFA. 

Note about the Joe Williams trade- I think it's possible Willimas turns out to be our best pick of this draft. That's how hard this draft is for me to figure out. But in real life we got Kittle and Williams in my version we swap Butt for Kittle, although I could have taken Kittle. So what it really comes down to is Joe Williams vs McNichols plus Desmond King. I prefer the latter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2017 at 1:50 PM, y2lamanaki said:

Option C – Solomon Thomas & Reuben Foster Trades: 

1) #3 overall 
1) #31 overall 
3) #66 overall 
3) #67 overall 
4) #109 overall 
4) #143 overall 
5) #146 overall 
5) #161 overall 
6) #186 overall 
6) #202 overall 
7) #219 overall 

Just realized that you made this an option, so thank you for that, as this is the one I wanted on the previous board (though I would have been happy enough just doing the Thomas trade and making that work, as I would have taken Lamp in round 2). 

So my selections:

#3 - Solomon Thomas. This pick was somewhat hard, but not super hard. Admittedly, not my number 2 or 3 player on the board. Giving Adams serious consideration here, but in the end, drafting a safety here, particularly one that is not a true cover safety and is closer to Eric Reid in style than Earl Thomas, was just not something I could pull the trigger on. I loved Hooker, but just one year starting, the injury this offseason and concerns about future durability are an issue. His major tackling red flag is also an issue for a top 3 selection, whom are genrally guys who don't have a flaw as glaring as that one. Plus, positional value is important here, and Thomas has a monster ceiling. No reason to change this pick, in my opinion. (Others in consideration: Hooker, Adams)

#31 - Ruben Foster. Another pick that really doesn't need to be changed. For the record. Forrest Lamp is super hard to pass up on here, especially given the atrocity of our interior offensive line and Lamps ability to play both Center and Guard at the next level in my opinion. But Foster is definitely my top rated player left on the board, and a legit top 10 guy. There are absolutely concerns about durability, off the field, etc, but it's also worth the risk at this point. Foster has the talent to be an all pro, though. (Others in consideration: Lamp, Cam Robinson)

#66 - Chris Godwin. I thought he was a second rounder, so picking him up in the third would have been a coup. I also felt that there was a big drop off between he and the next tier of receivers. Our receivers going into this draft are not very good, so some true talent needs to be developed here. 67 and 68 were two of the hardest picks to make in this class I felt because I Thought there was an abundance of talent still available. (Others in consideration: Tarell Basham, Pat Elflein, Dan Feeney, Fabian Moreau, Derek Rivers)

#67 - Dan Feeney, Guard. Like Godwin, I had him ranked much higher than this. In another mock I did, he actually went to the Falcons with their first round pick. I really thought he was a second rounder with fringe first round potential. The choice is tough  given all the talent that was still available here, no doubt about that. While Elflein's versatility is big, we also signed 2 centers this off season in Barnes and Zuttah, whom along with Kilgore, may provide at least a decent center position for us. (Others in consideration: Derek Rivers, Elflein, Basham, Moreau, Anzalone, Antonio Garcia)

#109 - Tedrick Thompson - After bypassing Adams and Hooker at the top of round 1, we draft a personal favorite of mine at the safety position. He was a guy I took in almost every mock draft I participated in this year. A lot more Hooker than Adams, I think he's a legit rangy ball hawk type at the next level. This continues to also provide versatility with Ward, in being able to play him at either safety or corner. (Others Considered: Eddie Jackson, Dorian Johnson, Julien Davenport, Jaleel Johnson)

#143 - Damonte Kazee, CB - I thought I was going to follow a similar path in the draft to the 49ers in real life and go corner in the third round, though not Witherspoon (likely Moreau), but I couldn't pull the trigger. Moreau, like Godwin was a legit second round prospect, but with Moreau's injury, Godwin got the nod. Then with the second pick in round 3, I just couldn't pass on Feeney after bypassing Lamp. So in comes Kazee here - he's undersized, but so was Jason Verrett coming out. He doesn't have Verrett's pure speed, but Kazee was an underrated cover man. (Other's considered: Blair Brown, Desmond King, Kittle, Butt, Leggett)

#146 - George Kittle. No reason to change this pick. I was a fan of his during the off season, and I thought that there was a legit chance that he go in round 3. Getting him in round 5 was a steal in my opinion (Others considered: Brown, Roderick Johnson, Brian Hill)

#161 - Avery Moss, DE - This is a definite risk, and I'm bypassing one of my favorite running backs in the class to take him, but Avery Moss I could see being a stud as a pass rusher. Very athletic, definite character concerns. He needs serious coaching, and has to respond to that coaching, so that is the main question. Yes, he'll likely flame out, and I think it's much more likely that McNichols has a better career, but I love the upside on Moss, and at the time of the draft, there is serious concerns about our leo position. Armstead is a real question mark, and Dumervil hasn't been signed. Could be a similar situation to Lynch, to be honest, and I Think at this point, the reward far outweighs the risk to be honest. (Others Considered: Really only McNichols)

#186 - Adam Bisnowatty, T - HOnestly, wasn't in love of many of the options here, but you can't ever really go wrong with offensive line help. I was really, really tempted to double down on tight end and take Bucky Hodges. He has that height, weight, speed thing going for him. 

#202 - De'Angelo Henderson. Had to take a running back at some point, and he's the best of the remaining bunch. It's hard to have to make the sacrifices of other picks earlier on. I know a lot of people here took Kaaya, but meh, I'm okay with punting the quarterback position completely this year. Barkley and Hoyer are there, and anyone taken this far down is a crazy deep project, so I'd rather just stock up on someone next year in what I perceive to be a better class (Others considered: Kofi Amichia, Zane Gonzalez, Ruby Ford)

#219 - Elijah Lee. I have no idea how he was still available at this point. I had taken him as early as round 4 in some mock drafts this off season (Others considered: Ishmael Zamora, Zane Gonzalez, Malachi Dupre, Isaiah Ford, Kyle Fuller)

1) #3 overall - Solomon Thomas DE 
3) #66 overall - Fabian Moreau CB 
3) #104 overall - CJ Beathard QB  Joshua Dobbs QB
4) #121 overall - Jake Butt TE 
5) #146 overall - Joe Williams RB 
5) #177 overall - Sam Tevi OL 
6) #202 overall - Robert Davis WR 
7) #229 overall - Josh Harvey-Clemons SS 

1) #3 overall - Solomon Thomas
1) #31 overall -Ruben Foster
3) #66 overall - Derek Rivers
3) #67 overall - Dan Feeney
4) #109 overall - Tedric Thompson
4) #143 overall - Marlon Mack
5) #146 overall - Jordan Leggett
5) #161 overall - Jamal Agnew
6) #186 overall -DJ Jones
6) #202 overall - Robert Davis
7) #219 overall -Isiah Ford

Option F – The Solomon Thomas Trade + The Trade for a Future 2nd: 
OK. So last year I did this, it was pretty much the 49ers draft with a few minor changes. After readin about these draft picks we make, it's very hard for me not to like them, and I really do with our guys; however I'm going to try and go back to when the actual picks and trades were being made and put down who I thought we should have draft (obviously with hindsight on my side for who went at what pick). 
*This draft includes me keeping Jimmie Ward at CB 

1) #3 overall - Leonard Fournette RB LSU 
2) #31 overall - Reuben Foster LB Alabama 
3) #66 overall - Daeshon Hall DE TAM 
4) #109 overall - Josh Malone WR Tennessee 
4) #143 overall - Jake Butt TE Michigan 
5) #146 overall - Roderick Johnson OT FSU 
5) #161 overall - Caleb Brantley DL Florida 
6) #186 overall - Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech 
6) #202 overall - Brad Kaaya QB Miami 
7) #219 overall - Malachi Dupre WR LSU

jonnguy2015:

1) #3 overall- Jamal Adams, S 
1) #31 overall- Zay Jones, WR 
3) #66 overall- Alex Anzalone, LB 
3) #104 overall- C.J. Beathard, QB 
4) #121 overall- Howard Wilson, CB 
5) #146 overall- George Kittle, TE 
5) #177 overall- T.J. Logan, RB 
6) #198 overall- Chase Roullier, C 
6) #202 overall- Pita Taumoepenu, DE 
7) #229 overall- Jylan Ware, OT 

I agree with most of Lynch's picks, but I just decided to be contrarian to see if it works out.

jonnguy2015 let me know that he had edited his original post before the deadline, that's why they're being placed here. His edit was back in July, so it's all good to go. 

Archived