Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

34 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Overpaying for a safety when we have limited cap space already? Normally I would consider it, but I'm passing this idea.

Yeah, but I'm not seeing many good names out there. I think we make one big signing. And overpaying for a Safety isn't like overpaying for a LT or OL. Safeties usually are cheaper.

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, but I'm not seeing many good names out there. I think we make one big signing. And overpaying for a Safety isn't like overpaying for a LT or OL. Safeties usually are cheaper.

Ya but we’re not competing this year so what’s the point?

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Regardless, I'm an advocate of one big (not huge) signing and maybe a few smaller ones. I don't advocate a Haynesworth type of FA or one where we pick up scrub DLs from Dallas. . 

So one guy. We can debate who it is and what position. I'm amenable to it being another position if someone shows me another guy and I think it's more valuable to us to go that direction. 

I'm just not abstaining from FA just because we're not competing this year

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

What about Amos? Or rebound with Joyner? 

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Regardless, I'm an advocate of one big (not huge) signing and maybe a few smaller ones. I don't advocate a Haynesworth type of FA or one where we pick up scrub DLs from Dallas. . 

So one guy. We can debate who it is and what position. I'm amenable to it being another position if someone shows me another guy and I think it's more valuable to us to go that direction. 

I'm just not abstaining from FA just because we're not competing this year

You know that you and I are in agreement on the "one major signing" per offseason.

However, going after Collins would violate one of my other major free agent roles: don't target top-of-the-market free agent secondary players. It almost never works out for the new team.

I'm with @MKnight82 on this one: why are we targeting a throwback, in the box safety who cannot cover (my Giant coworkers say that he's a "looking for a guy to hit" kind of safety, but not one that can cover anyone)?

On the scale of "Woz's lack of interest in said free agent" (1 to Albert Haynesworth), I think I'm at at a:

do-not-want.jpg

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

He’s 25 he may be 27 when we are and our defense will be geled by then if you know the football gods stop hating this team with injuries!!!

2 hours ago, Woz said:

You know that you and I are in agreement on the "one major signing" per offseason.

However, going after Collins would violate one of my other major free agent roles: don't target top-of-the-market free agent secondary players. It almost never works out for the new team.

I'm with @MKnight82 on this one: why are we targeting a throwback, in the box safety who cannot cover (my Giant coworkers say that he's a "looking for a guy to hit" kind of safety, but not one that can cover anyone)?

On the scale of "Woz's lack of interest in said free agent" (1 to Albert Haynesworth), I think I'm at at a:

do-not-want.jpg

I freely admit I've apparently not watched as much of him as I should have. My friends from NY today have now echoed your friends. My thought that he was great in the box and decent in coverage. If he's just another Landry, then pass. 

57 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’d sign Collins. I already know that Knight doesn’t value the position and that’s understandable but a 25-year old all-Pro is something I would spend money on. That’s just me though. 

Exercise for you then: please list all of the players who were top of the market secondary players (i.e. got big free agent contracts from new teams) that actually panned out for their new team.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Exercise for you then: please list all of the players who were top of the market secondary players (i.e. got big free agent contracts from new teams) that actually panned out for their new team.

Charles Woodson

Janoris Jenkins

DRC

Eric Weddle

Deangelo Hall

Aqib Talib

Josh Norman

There might be more than that but that’s off the top of my head. I’m not sure this Landon Collins situation happens all that often though? This one seems different. I could be wrong though Woz and all I’m saying is if it were me and I was spending free agent dollars that’s who I’m spending it on. I’m not running around signing the McGee, McWhateverthehellhisnamewas from Dallas and the other players Bruce Allen wastes our cap space on i.e. Paul Richardson. 

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Charles Woodson

Janoris Jenkins

DRC

Eric Weddle

Deangelo Hall

Aqib Talib

Josh Norman

DeAngelo Hall was signed by Washington halfway through 2008 season for essentially vet minimum after the Raiders cut him. They then re-signed him long term before he could hit free agency.

Josh Norman A) was a bit of a special case because he was a franchised player who had the tag removed late in April after most teams had already played in the market, and B) we've discussed cutting him after three seasons.

However, other than those two, that's a pretty solid list. How many defensive backs were signed in all of those years for comparison's sake?

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

There might be more than that but that’s off the top of my head. I’m not sure this Landon Collins situation happens all that often though? This one seems different. I could be wrong though Woz and all I’m saying is if it were me and I was spending free agent dollars that’s who I’m spending it on. I’m not running around signing the McGee, McWhateverthehellhisnamewas from Dallas and the other players Bruce Allen wastes our cap space on i.e. Paul Richardson. 

Okay then.

I just think it's a bad idea to spend a substantial amount of money on a guy whose position is becoming a dinosaur in the NFL. Just because Brice wastes money on JAGs (McGee and McClain) and dice rolls (Richardson) shouldn't encourage you to spend money on shiny things.

30 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Nnamdi Ashomouga

Adam Archuleta

Revis in Tampa

Byron Maxwell

Theres 2 sides to everything in FA. Ratter my secondary young and hungry than overpaid 

You can do this with every position though. You won’t bat 1.000 in free agency or the draft but you have to take risks sometimes. 

Archived