Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

28 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You can do this with every position though. You won’t bat 1.000 in free agency or the draft but you have to take risks sometimes. 

My argument is that for secondary players at the top of the market, there's a lot more misses than hits.

Even if I'm wrong on secondary players, Landon Collins cannot cover people. Why would you spend big bucks for that? Just because you can? Because he's a name? What does he offer to this team beyond hitting people in the box?

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

You can do this with every position though. You won’t bat 1.000 in free agency or the draft but you have to take risks sometimes. 

I hear that but this is the Washington Redskins were talking about. The Mendoza line is what we’re working with. 

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Why aren't you guys re-signing Clinton-Dix? How was he for you?

Tough to grade because he had to join a new defense mid year.  I believe a lot of people are bashing him for some poor tackling, but honestly he does a good job taking away the deep ball which is his primary responsibility.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Why aren't you guys re-signing Clinton-Dix? How was he for you?

He played extremely passive & looked terrible. Maybe he's not a great athlete but he looks physically shot if he has to make a tackle. He seems more of a coverage guy but I didn't really notice him make any plays there either.

• Like 2

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

I'm between @MKnight82 and @taylor made on Dix.

Same, although probably a little closer to @taylor made.

To me, he looked a helluva lot like a guy who was about 7 football games away from being a free agent for the first time and didn’t want to risk blowing that by getting hurt for a team he didn’t know and whose season started circling the toilet almost immediately after he arrived. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Same, although probably a little closer to @taylor made.

To me, he looked a helluva lot like a guy who was about 7 football games away from being a free agent for the first time and didn’t want to risk blowing that by getting hurt for a team he didn’t know and whose season started circling the toilet almost immediately after he arrived. 

I think that is an excellent analysis. It explains quite a bit of what I saw in him last year but couldn't put my finger on. Perhaps if we re-signed him, he'd play better. I dunno. If we do, hopefully its not too big $$. IF not, I'm okay with someone else paying him and pocketing the comp pick (4th or 5th maybe for the size contract?) in 2020.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I think that is an excellent analysis. It explains quite a bit of what I saw in him last year but couldn't put my finger on. Perhaps if we re-signed him, he'd play better. I dunno. If we do, hopefully its not too big $$. IF not, I'm okay with someone else paying him and pocketing the comp pick (4th or 5th maybe for the size contract?) in 2020.

Only problem is if the safety market goes as cold as it was last year.

I'd somewhat rather re-sign Clinton-Dix than throw big bucks at Collins, but it doesn't really thrill me.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Only problem is if the safety market goes as cold as it was last year.

I'd somewhat rather re-sign Clinton-Dix than throw big bucks at Collins, but it doesn't really thrill me.

There’s a lot of safeties available. Collins, Haha, Mathieu, Amos, Weddle, Joyner, Earl Thomas. That’s a lot of supply and a bit many teams crawling over each other for them. If your looking for a center fielder I’d take a look at Adrian Amos. He’s only 25 and played well over the top last year. How much of that was because of Vic Fangio? Who knows

57 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

There’s a lot of safeties available. Collins, Haha, Mathieu, Amos, Weddle, Joyner, Earl Thomas. That’s a lot of supply and a bit many teams crawling over each other for them.

Yes, which could depress the prices of the contracts and consequently the compensation pick coming back for Clinton-Dix should he sign somewhere else.

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I have a feeling we will clear cap space, be linked to every free agent and only sign back ups to large money deals who don’t pan out. 

So, the naughties again?

• Like 1

If reuban Foster is indeed slated to be available then I would have to think that cutting foster and Brown would be smart to use those cap savings and go after CJ Mosley

would easily be the best ILB we have had since Fletcher and the ILB core would be solidified

with safety being so stacked this year in FA there’s a chance we could get a good safety on a good deal. I would like Collins but honestly if we could get Adrian Amos I believe he could be a hell of a player for half the price of Collins and Thomas

signing Collins and Mosley would be a perfect FA for me but I wouldn’t mind Amos if Collins is too pricey

I have a feeling HAHA won’t be getting a big contract. Would like to at least see him have a whole offseason to learn the defense and watch him improve, would be hesitant on guaranteed money. He’s close to DaRon Payne, so maybe he could convince him

Mosley

Collins

HAHA

and then turn to the draft

would look to trade Norman over cutting even if it’s a late pick, better something than nothing 

Cap savings from Norman, Davis, Brown, Foster, and McGee could easily give us Cap room to spare

Draft Greedy Williams round 1 and the defense could be set. A little thin at CB and LOLB but honestly competition for Anderson is what I want, don’t want to sign a star and him be relegated back to bench warmer

2 hours ago, Woz said:

So, the naughties again?

I just don’t see the Bruce plan changing. It’s the same crap over and over again. Sign other teams back ups to big money and then cut them in two years because they performed like back ups instead of starters.