Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I would be down for a second rounder, but only because the Cardinals end up paying his signing bonus and we get him for a super-cheap contract.  Looking at the numbers, it's absolutely ridiculous that the Cardinals would even think about trading Rosen with the money they would eat, when they just spent a top 10 overall pick on the guy.  I know it's a new regime, but a top 10 talent in the draft we just had deserves a chance moreso than anyone in the draft this year.  I think it's all a smokescreen from the Cardinals personally.  

Only reason I hesitate is losing the ability to get another top talent to fill one of the many holes this franchise has right now. Maybe passing up a starting left guard or corner/safety? (my first round pick order is Devin White/best available edge rusher (excluding Jachai Polite)/best available corner/best available (non-QB, non-RB))

52 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m going with the assumption that they will go all in for Landon Collins and then not do much else after. I’ll also assume that we will only have one third by the time the draft rolls around with the other dealt for Rosen who I still think gets dealt here. 

Well, the Keenum trade significantly hurts their ability to make a deal for Collins. If my reading of the situation is correct, they will only have $10M in cap space going into free agency. It's going to be pretty tough to get Collins in under that, especially if they add another $2M from acquiring Rosen.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Well, the Keenum trade significantly hurts their ability to make a deal for Collins. If my reading of the situation is correct, they will only have $10M in cap space going into free agency. It's going to be pretty tough to get Collins in under that, especially if they add another $2M from acquiring Rosen.

good. he is a very limited player in the pass coverage scheme. Having him and Ha Ha we wold have to have the two slowest safety;s in the nfl. Im all in for Apke :)

Someone in the NFL News site did point me to Spotrac that is saying that the total value of Keenum's 2019 cap hit may be down to just $3.5M for Washington. Of course, Spotrac also puts a caveat that their entry is based on preliminary news reports.

But, sliding down a round late in 2020 to get a guy who at least has a better track record of staying healthy than McCoy does at essentially the equivalent cap amount? That's not bad. And Colt, don't go renewing that lease just yet (I think Keenum's contract would be essentially guaranteed).

4 hours ago, Woz said:

Only reason I hesitate is losing the ability to get another top talent to fill one of the many holes this franchise has right now. Maybe passing up a starting left guard or corner/safety? (my first round pick order is Devin White/best available edge rusher (excluding Jachai Polite)/best available corner/best available (non-QB, non-RB))

If they are planning to use picks to trade up, or use their first on a QB, then trading a 2nd or 3rd for Rosen makes more sense than wasting picks on any of the QBs this year.  He's a top 10 guy from a loaded class one year ago.  That's why I'm not buying the Cardinals being stupid enough to not only let him go, but draft another QB with the #1 overall pick.  

15 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If they are planning to use picks to trade up, or use their first on a QB, then trading a 2nd or 3rd for Rosen makes more sense than wasting picks on any of the QBs this year. 

No doubt. If the options are "trade a 2nd to Arizona for Rosen" or "trade up from 15 to get a rookie QB," then I absolutely want to trade for Rosen.

I'm just wondering if they now say "hey, we're willing to roll with Keenum and McCoy for 2019 and not trade anything else unless the price is right."

17 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That's why I'm not buying the Cardinals being stupid enough to not only let him go, but draft another QB with the #1 overall pick.

Ch-ch-ch-changes ...

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

No doubt. If the options are "trade a 2nd to Arizona for Rosen" or "trade up from 15 to get a rookie QB," then I absolutely want to trade for Rosen.

I'm just wondering if they now say "hey, we're willing to roll with Keenum and McCoy for 2019 and not trade anything else unless the price is right."

Ch-ch-ch-changes ...

Oh, I don't doubt that Keenum is leverage in a deal so they don't have to give up more than necessary, because they can always just roll with him until next year unless, as you said, the price is right on a move. 

20 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If they are planning to use picks to trade up, or use their first on a QB, then trading a 2nd or 3rd for Rosen makes more sense than wasting picks on any of the QBs this year.  He's a top 10 guy from a loaded class one year ago.  That's why I'm not buying the Cardinals being stupid enough to not only let him go, but draft another QB with the #1 overall pick.  

They also have a new coach who runs a system much more suited for a QB like Murray. Or they can do what the Redskins do and try to put a square peg in a round hole all the time. If they want Murray and their coach wants Murray it’s absolutely silly to pass on him just to force the current coach to work with a QB he never wanted. It’s no different then what we did with Jay and Robert. They should’ve dealt RG3 the moment Gruden was hired. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

They should’ve dealt RG3 the moment Gruden was hired. 

*knows he shouldn't reply*
*will anyway and deal with the fall out*

Gruden was hired at the time as being a "quarterback whisperer." That was part of the reason he got the job: to fix Griffin.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

*knows he shouldn't reply*
*will anyway and deal with the fall out*

Gruden was hired at the time as being a "quarterback whisperer." That was part of the reason he got the job: to fix Griffin.

I’m speaking with the advantage of hindsight. At the time I would’ve been extremely unhappy had they decided to move Robert but even then we should’ve known he didn’t fit the system Jay wanted to run. It would’ve been advantageous considering he still had some intrigue and value left at the time. 

Archived