Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

59 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm not knocking anyone other than to say that we do not have our QBOTF on our roster right now. I just take issue with the use of wins and losses as a QB-only stat. When QB's have nothing to do with the defense or ST's. W/L is a coach and front office stat. As they are responsible for the whole team, not just the offense.

So when someone tells me that a QB went 10-6, I can point out that another player on the team also has a 10-6 record.

That's true. But at least we're not talking about Mark Sanchez as the quarterback this season. Its pretty sad when your so bad that you make Josh Johnson look good. I guess last year did end kind of rough didn't it?

• Like 2

Just now, Bo Duke said:

That's true. But at least we're not talking about Mark Sanchez as the quarterback this season. Its pretty sad when your so bad that you make Josh Johnson look good. I guess last year did end kind of rough didn't it?

Ouch. Yeah. But that one win of Johnson's cost us like 8 spots of draft position (IIRC). Shoulda just stuck with Buttfumble.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Ouch. Yeah. But that one win of Johnson's cost us like 8 spots of draft position (IIRC). Shoulda just stuck with Buttfumble.

I'm sure you feel the same way I do about this, but I'm still miffed they didn't sign a young QB instead of two 30-year-old QBs and trying to still sneak into the playoffs after McCoy broke his leg too.

Like, any of these AAF or XFL qbs should’ve been signed IMO.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I dunno. Jacksonville was so bad that even Sanchez might have beaten them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I'm sure you feel the same way I do about this, but I'm still miffed they didn't sign a young QB instead of two 30-year-old QBs and trying to still sneak into the playoffs after McCoy broke his leg too.

There's a reason all of those AAF guys were able to join the AAF: no one wanted them (and the XFL doesn't exist yet).

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I share the sentiment, but maybe not any of them. Some of those guys are ...phew...

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 2:21 PM, Doc Draper said:

when I think of this years QB competition I think history is repeating itself 2002- two wanna be's Matthews,  Wuerffel, Ramsey and now McCoy, Keenum and we stupidly draft a QB that cant play in round 1

Image result for shane matthews danny wuerffel redskins

Ramsey could play, he just didn't get protected bc of the fun & gun which didn't utilize TEs the way the NFL used to as more of an inline blocker and it didn't have a strong protection scheme so the QB got killed if they didn't get rid of it right away and that's not always easy for a young QB to do.

I would say that Keenum has shown he is better than Matthews & Wuerfell the last two years.

I mean 68%, 3547 yds, 22 tds & 7 ints 98 rtg in 15 games in 2017.

2018: 62%, 3890 yds, 18 tds, 15 ints 

Certainly not pro bowl worthy, but not bottom of the barrel either.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

17 stats are misleading 18 more realistic.

17- 6 yards per pass attempt- you should be 80% for theee short tosses. He’s one of the worst qb on straight drop backs - in 17 only five were worse, when he’s not passing on play action.  From play action he’s good but keep in mind his pass attempts averaged a very Wuerffel like 6 yards. tenor.gif

He is at best a borderline starter, McCoy is a proven injury waiting to happen. Rolling into 19 with these guys is a repeat of 2002 on offense but unfortunately we don’t have Marvin Lewis coaching defense who was the main reason we didn’t end up as the worst record in the league. 

Edited by Doc Draper

7 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

17 stats are misleading 18 more realistic.

17- 6 yards per pass attempt- you should be 80% for theee short tosses. He’s one of the worst qb on straight drop backs - in 17 only five were worse, when he’s not passing on play action.  From play action he’s good but keep in mind his pass attempts averaged a very Wuerffel like 6 yards. tenor.gif

He is at best a borderline starter, McCoy is a proven injury waiting to happen. Rolling into 19 with these guys is a repeat of 2002 on offense but unfortunately we don’t have Marvin Lewis coaching defense who was the main reason we didn’t end up as the worst record in the league. 

So what if he is? Or Colt is? If they are bad then, we get the top 10 pick next year. I still think either of them with a strong running game - which we should have again - and play action passing which we’ll use can be adequate. 

They’re not going to be above average, but Keenum did almost throw for 4,000 yds last year.

I'm personally happy with Keenum. Not as our future, but as a bridge.

He doesn't take care of the ball like Alex did, but he also doesn't choke in every big spotlight game he's ever played in either.

Whether he starts or plays the backup role, I welcome his addition.

I just look forward to watching a game where it's tied or were down 3 with under 5 minutes to play.

And knowing our QB has a good chance to put the team on his shoulders and come out victorius.

Rather than predicting that our QB will throw a game killing int, or get sacked & fumble or even forget to spike the ball with no timeouts remaining.

• Like 1