Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I mean, Darrell Green?  

Besides that.  Sean Taylor's best season was when he was moved from SS to FS because he was dominant in coverage.  

Shall I say I got to watch play. Sean was dominate at both SS and FS because of his ability to hit like a Lott but had the secondary IQ of Ed Reed. Sean was H.O.F. at either position.

Over the past decade, three NFL safetieshave been named to the Pro Bowl three times in their first four seasons. One of them, Eric Berry, received the most lucrative safety contract in NFL history after the Chiefs drafted him in 2010 and then became the league’s highest-paid safety again in 2017 after working out a new deal with Kansas City. Another, Earl Thomas, was made the league’s highest-paid safety by the Seahawks in 2014.

The third such player is Landon Collins, who also is the only player in the NFL with at least 400 tackles and 30 passes defensed since 2015 and the only safety in the league to record at least 95 tackles in each of the past four seasons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/2019/03/05/giants-apparently-arent-going-use-franchise-tag-landon-collins-which-seems-curious/

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I didn’t think Taylor ever played SS here? 

Oh you maybe right, for some reason I thought Ryan Clark played SS here.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Taylor 

"Also before the season, the Redskins decided to use Taylor in a more traditional free safety role with less responsibility"

I guess this is what I was remembering.  He may have always been FS but they used him as an in the box safety a lot early in his career, then pulled him back his last year and let him mostly concentrate on coverage.  

5 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Yet the greatest Secondary Player played here and wore 21 and we know the impact he had on the Defense. Not saying Landon is Sean, but you get what I mean. I stand by my statement Collins will help make the Defense better. 

1. Landon Collins is nowhere close to Sean Taylor.
  2. No one is like Sean Taylor. Conjuring him as a comp is just fool's gold.
  3. Sean Taylor could actually cover and play center field.

No safety, perhaps not even Sean Taylor, is worth a contract that is comparable to what quarterbacks get. The position is not as valuable. No, it isn't fungible like it is for running backs, but it doesn't have the same impact on the game.

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I didn’t think Taylor ever played SS here? 

I want to say it was the 2006 year when the defense was beset by injuries (and went to crap).

1 minute ago, Woz said:
  1. Landon Collins is nowhere close to Sean Taylor.
  2. No one is like Sean Taylor. Conjuring him as a comp is just fool's gold.
  3. Sean Taylor could actually cover and play center field.

No safety, perhaps not even Sean Taylor, is worth a contract that is comparable to what quarterbacks get. The position is not as valuable. No, it isn't fungible like it is for running backs, but it doesn't have the same impact on the game.

What competent QB is getting what Collins just got? 

3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Shall I say I got to watch play. Sean was dominate at both SS and FS because of his ability to hit like a Lott but had the secondary IQ of Ed Reed. Sean was H.O.F. at either position.

And while true ... Collins is not that guy.

It's not really fair to Collins to keep bringing up Taylor or Ed Reed. Those comps are way too high for him to make.

Just now, lavar703 said:

What competent QB is getting what Collins just got? 

Nick Foles just got a somewhat similar contract.

Is Collins' contract on the bottom end of the QB scale? Yes. But it's still on the QB scale.

Just now, Woz said:

And while true ... Collins is not that guy.

It's not really fair to Collins to keep bringing up Taylor or Ed Reed. Those comps are way too high for him to make.

This is the only thing that upsets me about Collins coming here. Taylor is irreplaceable. He’s probably single most talented safety to ever step foot on the field. The Redskins somehow weren’t stupid enough to pass on him for Winslow which still blows my mind. Thank you Clinton Portis lol

Archived