Free Agency

Johnny Nix

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So you think you guys re-sign him when he hits the market next season?

1st and 3rd for a 30+ WR is a little unrealistic, no?

You're talking about an owner that didn't want to trade AJ McCarron for a 2nd round pick, until Cleveland threw in another pick.  Got a haul for Carson Palmer as well or would have just let him end his career.

Mike Brown won't just let AJ Green leave.  He'll tag him multiple times before that.  You're not dealing with a reasonable owner...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So you think you guys re-sign him when he hits the market next season?

1st and 3rd for a 30+ WR is a little unrealistic, no?

Yes, it's unreasonable, but it's the asking price.  You won't get him for what the Raiders got Brown for.

AJ wants to stay in Cincy.  They're going to resign him.  Good chance he retires a Bengal, even though this team is a dumpster fire currently.

I'm not real sure why the sky is falling here. We didn't resign Ogb........ and as a bonus,  I don't need to spell his name anymore. Resign  Dennard,  extend who we can, draft well. I'm not going to get worried about my cheap team overpaying. They'll be able to spend money when it matters. 

6 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'm not real sure why the sky is falling here. We didn't resign Ogb........ and as a bonus,  I don't need to spell his name anymore. Resign  Dennard,  extend who we can, draft well. I'm not going to get worried about my cheap team overpaying. They'll be able to spend money when it matters. 

It's not the fact that Hart and Brown are coming back that is the problem.  Maybe there were some that were adamantly opposed, but most would probably agree there's a potential role for those two guys.

The problem is that they paid double or triple the market rate, and essentially committed to them both as starters.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, theJ said:

It's not the fact that Hart and Brown are coming back that is the problem.  Maybe there were some that were adamantly opposed, but most would probably agree there's a potential role for those two guys.

The problem is that they paid double or triple the market rate, and essentially committed to them both as starters.

100% this.  I wouldn't mind as much if Bobby Hart at 24 years old is being brought back as a development project while we address RT in the draft.  Hart's guaranteed money isn't even that bad for a backup OT, but with the Bengals that starting RT money.  Mike Brown will say I'm getting a bottom 1/3rd starting RT (At best) for cheap, so no need to upgrade that position.  That's the problem.

Still a chance to be proven wrong, but when Dennard walks, we're most likely going corner in round 1 now...

3 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Still a chance to be proven wrong, but when Dennard walks, we're most likely going corner in round 1 now...

The longer Dennard sits out there unsigned, the better the chances he comes back IMO.  He's looking for a shot as an outside corner for outside corner money.  That money is quickly drying up.

Still, not out of the woods yet.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

The longer Dennard sits out there unsigned, the better the chances he comes back IMO.  He's looking for a shot as an outside corner for outside corner money.  That money is quickly drying up.

Still, not out of the woods yet.

Btw, I'm not opposed to CB in round 1.  It becomes a more dire need if we lose Dennard, but even if we re-sign him we have to move on from Kirkpatrick.  In an ideal world, we get a quality CB in the first 2 rounds and then we try to trade (or cut) Kirkpatrick.  Essentially what we did with Iloka last year...

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Y'all are making assumptions and getting mad about them.  That straw man is taking a beating.

Well, sort of.  I'm making assumptions and laughing about them.  I've ceased to get angry about anything regarding this team or the NFL in general a long time ago.  Life is too short.  This is entertainment.  I should be entertained, no matter what the circumstances are.