Free Agency

Johnny Nix

We know that the best run football teams don't operate like the Bengals do. 

It's a family business to Mike Brown and the most important things are stuff like estate planning, acquiring the 1 share of the team not held by the Brown family (it's owned by Dutch Knowlton's lawyer), providing jobs for descendants of PB, etc.

Winning football games simply isn't a high priority. There isn't much accountability either. Marvin should have been fired years ago. Slime like Jim Turner shouldn't be in the NFL, regardless of their relationship with the head coach's father in law. Tobin whiffed on Ogbuehi/Fisher, then passed on Mahomes/Watson. Getting the top picks right should be the minimum for a team that's committed to building via the draft and abjures other channels.

Bengals don't pay players based on how well they play football, they pay based on how much they want them on the team. Michael Johnson and CJ Uzomah are exemplary human beings so they have Bengals jobs paying more than they're worth in football terms. 

Browns will be division favorites now. Bengals will be fighting Ravens for 3rd place. 

This is yet another offseason of missed opportunities. I guess we're all insane according to the cliche about doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different outcome.

13 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

same team as last year? Cool...

I don't mind bringing back Preston.  He can have a role on this team playing something like 30% of the snaps.  But he can't play 70% of the snaps because he can't cover, and they just gave him starter money.  A year after signing a prove it deal, where he didn't prove anything.

Just like the Hart deal - who were they competing against?  No one was going to offer close to this, so why run up the price and basically guarantee him a starting role that he's going to struggle in?

Well, at least i know i won't be fooled into shelling out any money to watch these games.  If they're going to commit to rehashing 2018, i'm going to commit to my 2018 watching schedule (which i think was like 3 games).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

I don't mind bringing back Preston.  He can have a role on this team playing something like 30% of the snaps.  But he can't play 70% of the snaps because he can't cover, and they just gave him starter money.  A year after signing a prove it deal, where he didn't prove anything.

Just like the Hart deal - who were they competing against?  No one was going to offer close to this, so why run up the price and basically guarantee him a starting role that he's going to struggle in?

Well, at least i know i won't be fooled into shelling out any money to watch these games.  If they're going to commit to rehashing 2018, i'm going to commit to my 2018 watching schedule (which i think was like 3 games).

My thoughts exactly. We talked a big game about the way the direction NFL was trending but have stayed the same outdated course.

• Like 1

Also, I'm not sure if any of you follow Burfict on social media but he's constantly uploading videos of himself working out and he looks to be in great shape. Whether he's committing to his conditioning for us or in an attempt to salvage his value on the open market, or both, remains to be seen.

I think he would have been cut by this point if we were going that direction. It looks like he'll be starting at WILL come Week 1. I guess I'm for it, but we'll see how long his health lasts. If history is any indicator, we'll get 5 good weeks out of him while still paying him a premium salary.

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

My thoughts exactly. We talked a big game about the way the direction NFL was trending but have stayed the same outdated course.

I'm writing off 2019.  It's done, and that's fine.  Call it a learning year for Taylor.  I'm not giving up on him quite yet.

But next offseason better look different.  Trim the fat, try to get better.  Don't settle for the status quo.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

I think he would have been cut by this point if we were going that direction. It looks like he'll be starting at WILL come Week 1. I guess I'm for it, but we'll see how long his health lasts. If history is any indicator, we'll get 5 good weeks out of him while still paying him a premium salary.

He'll get suspended again.

I don't care if he comes week 1 and gets 2 sacks, 3 picks, and scores 2 touchdowns.  They need to cut or trade him.  He carries with him a reminder of the past, and they need to push that out of the locker room to clear room for the new regime.

BTW, the decision point on him isn't for another month or so.  I still think they'll cut him.  But we'll see.

I still think they will try to bring in some bargain FAs, anyone hoping for a big splash should realize that was never going to happen, and honestly I haven’t seen any of these contracts that I would have been thrilled about. 

We may have to find Denmards replacement, I feel like he wants to play outside and get paid. 

I think we need to look into trading some of these late picks for some guys who need a change of scenery. I know is as Darren Lee tossed around. I’d be fine with that. 

I want Eifert back because he’s special when he’s healthy. But this is probably the last year for me if he isn’t healthy.