Free Agency

Johnny Nix

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

anyone hoping for a big splash should realize that was never going to happen, and honestly I haven’t seen any of these contracts that I would have been thrilled about. 

The issue isn't that they aren't throwing absurd cash at overrated FAs like Kwon Alexander or Trent Brown. The issue is they are using the limited cash we do have to invest in well-below average starters at costs beyond their value, solidifying the mediocrity of this franchise. 

We've essentially locked in to two below average starters for 2019 with Brown and Hart in a period of the offseason where teams look to improve their roster. In spending that money we've handicapped ourselves elsewhere for free agents that could potentially make our team better.

I understand bringing them both back as role players, but pay them as such. Don't give them starter money.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 1

Hey guys, sorry things have gotten rough for y’all.  I live in the ‘Nati and you guys deserve better.

Any chance you guys blow things up or is it likely to be small additions and try to build on to your current base?  Thoughts on Dalton moving forward, trying to trade for Rosen, moving AJ for picks to rebuild?

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hey guys, sorry things have gotten rough for y’all.  I live in the ‘Nati and you guys deserve better.

Any chance you guys blow things up or is it likely to be small additions and try to build on to your current base?  Thoughts on Dalton moving forward, trying to trade for Rosen, moving AJ for picks to rebuild?

Nothing will get better immediately 

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Things are perfect in Cincy for our ownership. We just resigned key some players that took us to 4th place in the division last year.

The money is still rolling in, so MFB is a happy man.

BTW. I would love to get Rosen for a 2nd or 3rd..but this ownership

3 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

Things are perfect in Cincy for our ownership. We just resigned key some players that took us to 4th place in the division last year.

The money is still rolling in, so MFB is a happy man.

BTW. I would love to get Rosen for a 2nd or 3rd..but this ownership

I’d be surprised if Rosen is traded for that little tbh.  I personally liked him a bit last spring and think he’s a better prospect than any QB in this draft.

If I were Mike Brown I’d offer up 12 like yesterday for him.

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is the Mike Brown Bengals.  We won't do anything with Dalton or Green.  We'll keep to the 8-8 formula of re-signing our own players (for more than we should), letting players walk if they won't sign early for cheap (compared to what they can get in FA), and hoping one of our comp picks turns into Tom Brady...

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

This is the Mike Brown Bengals.  We won't do anything with Dalton or Green.  We'll keep to the 8-8 formula of re-signing our own players (for more than we should), letting players walk if they won't sign early for cheap (compared to what they can get in FA), and hoping one of our comp picks turns into Tom Brady or George Kittle...

It’s honestly a decent plan, the same the Steelers have used for decades.  You just have to hit on the picks like you were a bit ago.

Still not sure what Brown sees in Dalton.  He’s not bad, but he’s not winning anything.  He’s a good option on a cheap rookie deal when you can surround him with a ton of talent, but not someone I’d have paid to be “the man”.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I'm writing off 2019.  It's done, and that's fine.  Call it a learning year for Taylor.  I'm not giving up on him quite yet.

But next offseason better look different.  Trim the fat, try to get better.  Don't settle for the status quo.

Same.  I have my wish list for next offseason already:

1. Fire Jim Turner
  2. Hire Bill Callahan
  3. Draft a QB.  Hopefully we suck enough for Tua
  4. Sign Tyler Boyd to an extension
  5. Sign AJ Green to an extension or trade him for some assets (after tagging him).  Although I think we extend him this offseason as our "big money spend"
  6. Get every OL player Bill Callahan wants
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We might be fighting Miami for the top draft spot. 

Even if we got it, Mike Brown wouldn't think about moving on from Dalton, it would be who can we get to support Dalton.

At this point, our best hope for radical change is AJ Green growing a mustache and dying it blonde.  His contract is up after this season, and I hope he forces his way out of Cincy.  We wasted enough of his career, and he deserves a chance at winning...

14 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

At this point, our best hope for radical change is AJ Green growing a mustache and dying it blonde.  His contract is up after this season, and I hope he forces his way out of Cincy.  We wasted enough of his career, and he deserves a chance at winning...

Funny you say that, yesterday we were talking in the Niners forum of possibly turning our attention to Green. What do you think he will go for? A high 2nd? A high 3rd? What are you thinking? 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Funny you say that, yesterday we were talking in the Niners forum of possibly turning our attention to Green. What do you think he will go for? A high 2nd? A high 3rd? What are you thinking? 

This is Mike Brown.  A 1st and 3rd round pick is the lowest he would go for AJ Green.  Without Green, who are people going to come to see?  I like Mixon, but with his past he won't ever be a big sell...

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

This is Mike Brown.  A 1st and 3rd round pick is the lowest he would go for AJ Green.  Without Green, who are people going to come to see?  I like Mixon, but with his past he won't ever be a big sell...

So you think you guys re-sign him when he hits the market next season?

1st and 3rd for a 30+ WR is a little unrealistic, no?