UPDATE: Brewers 3B Prospect Julio Mendez Progressing After HBP to Heart

ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Praying he pulls through. Things like this are EXACTLY why intentionally hitting anybody with a pitch should be 30+ game suspensions. You're hitting someone with a 90 MPH projectile. We're lucky things like this don't happen more often.

My line was 1st offense 20 games if below the letters, 50 if above; 2nd offense double; 3rd offense season if letters or below and perma ban if above letters

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

My line was 1st offense 20 games if below the letters, 50 if above; 2nd offense double; 3rd offense season if letters or below and perma ban if above letters

20 games if you throw at a guy's foot/shin? 

Because I get as angry as the rest of us with crap like what we see with throwing at guy's heads/upper bodies, but I really don't care when a pitcher throws one at a guy's shin. I've seen it many times and never blinked an eye.  

1 minute ago, NewAge said:

20 games if you throw at a guy's foot/shin? 

Because I get as angry as the rest of us with crap like what we see with throwing at guy's heads/upper bodies, but I really don't care when a pitcher throws one at a guy's shin. I've seen it many times and never blinked an eye.  

Intentionally? Yes. And there is a difference between trying to move someone off the plate and intentionally throwing at them. If they are throwing towards the feet to get them moving, that is part of the game. But there is never a good reason to intentionally throw at someone. That deserves a heft suspension in it self.

No, there isn't a good reason to do it but it still happens. I certainly think very poorly of someone who looks to injure a player by throwing a pitch at them above the belt. I don't look down on a pitcher who throws at a guy's foot/shin intentionally, even if I personally don't believe in the reasoning behind it. 

If everyone was just throwing at feet and shin, we wouldn't have any sort of issue here. I enjoy watching batters pimp homers but if a pitcher doesn't and spikes one off the front toe the next time that hitter comes up, it is what it is. That's a much safer culture than what we have now. 

10 hours ago, mse326 said:

The point is to end the culture where committing assault is ok. Not just make it a tiny bit better.

Yep. It's a risk-reward thing. The payoff of having a start bumped back or missing a few games out of the bullpen isn't enough to stop pitchers from going after guys. Jack the punishment up and they'll stop.

I don't want to politicize Mendez while he's in critical condition, but part of why I posted this as a separate topic is because this should cause baseball to evaluate how it thinks.

http://www.meridiano.com.ve/beisbol/beisbol-grandes-ligas/161846/-julio-mendez-no-puede-respirar-por-sus-propios-medios-.html

Update here in Spanish. Google translated for whities like me:

"Julio Méndez , a 20-year-old baseball star who is taking his first steps in professional baseball, is in "critical condition after a heart attack," after being hit by a chest shot , his organization, the Milwaukee Brewers .

The young native of Ciudad Bolivar remains "unconscious" and hospitalized, according to information provided by Fernando Veracierto, coordinator of scouts of the lupulosos. "Julio (Méndez) is connected to a respirator," explained the technician in the radio program El Infield . "He can not breathe on his own."

In a statement released by the Brewers, Julio Méndez was treated on the spot and immediately transferred to a hospital where he remains "critical, but stable. " Despite this, the concern is evident in the statements of representatives of the organization.

"We are positive and everyone who can raise a prayer for their improvement will thank us," added Veracierto who highlighted the humble faculties of Méndez. "As we see it, he is an organizational player: responsible, hardworking, excellent behavior and a leader. Tremendous boy ".

The 20-year-old shortstop is in the Arizona League where he was hitting .252 with no homers and 16 RBIs. In the Venezuelan Professional Baseball League (LVBP), Julio Méndez belongs to Caribes de Anzoátegui , although he has not been able to debut on the rented ball."

As awful as it is to say, given the time he was on the field getting CPR and the fact that he's not breathing on his own, I'm not expecting him to wake up. Really sad.

Archived