2019 NFL Free Agency - let the money flow like water!

SmittyBacall

2 minutes ago, EL Guapo said:

Giants may be leaning to keeping Vernon according to Rapoport 

I'd have to go back and look, but I feel like we see this every year from teams (not specifically the Giants, it kind of changes year to year with teams... and beat writers speculating...), where we see all these recent free agent and trade acquisitions who haven't quite lived up to the massive contracts they're on "shopped" right after the upper tier of the free agent pool is ransacked by team's using the franchise tag.

Clearly, it doesn't hurt to look (especially if you can cover your tracks and just blame a beat writer shopping for clicks with speculation if the player feels unsettled) to see if some team that was counting on getting, say, a premier pass-rusher on the market and is now looking at the prospect of having to pay $17M/yr to Trey Flowers is more amenable to giving up an asset for say Olivier Vernon at $15.5M (clearly the compensation would need to consider the Giants would eat $8m in dead money to do the transaction) or Robert Quinn at ~$13M/yr.

They're not likely to occur, but it doesn't hurt to look.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Bell is gonna get paid, he has a ton of suitors. Jets, Bucs, Raiders, Eagles, Ravens, Texans will all be highly interested imo... and I think the 49ers, Packers, and Dolphins will at least inquire. 

I can flat out tell you the Texans are not interested. Two pot suspensions and sitting out an entire season over a contract isn't the sort of person Cal McNair or Bill O'Brien wants in Houston.

For better or worse, the personality profile of Bell isn't going to fit in Houston.

Nicholas Moreano
‏@NicholasMoreano
17m17 minutes ago
Adam Schefter joined Waddle & Silvy to discuss the Jordan Howard trade rumors. Schefter said that the talks have been going on for a while. Schefter said he thinks the trade could get done once trades start happening. He also believes that Howard would be traded for a Day 3 pick.

Aaron Leming
@AaronLemingNFL
Aaron Leming Retweeted Nicholas Moreano
Referenced the Carlos Hyde trade, which was for a 5th rounder. #Bears

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Nicholas Moreano
‏@NicholasMoreano
17m17 minutes ago
Adam Schefter joined Waddle & Silvy to discuss the Jordan Howard trade rumors. Schefter said that the talks have been going on for a while. Schefter said he thinks the trade could get done once trades start happening. He also believes that Howard would be traded for a Day 3 pick.

Aaron Leming
@AaronLemingNFL
Aaron Leming Retweeted Nicholas Moreano
Referenced the Carlos Hyde trade, which was for a 5th rounder. #Bears

I'd strongly consider that if I were the Rams.

9 hours ago, The LBC said:

I'd have to go back and look, but I feel like we see this every year from teams (not specifically the Giants, it kind of changes year to year with teams... and beat writers speculating...), where we see all these recent free agent and trade acquisitions who haven't quite lived up to the massive contracts they're on "shopped" right after the upper tier of the free agent pool is ransacked by team's using the franchise tag.

Clearly, it doesn't hurt to look (especially if you can cover your tracks and just blame a beat writer shopping for clicks with speculation if the player feels unsettled) to see if some team that was counting on getting, say, a premier pass-rusher on the market and is now looking at the prospect of having to pay $17M/yr to Trey Flowers is more amenable to giving up an asset for say Olivier Vernon at $15.5M (clearly the compensation would need to consider the Giants would eat $8m in dead money to do the transaction) or Robert Quinn at ~$13M/yr.

They're not likely to occur, but it doesn't hurt to look.

May also hint at what the Giants plan on doing at the top of the draft.

54 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Nah. But zone teams should be.

I mean, has Howard learned how to catch yet or at we still blaming Jay Cutler for that?  Normally, I'd think that a team like Atlanta would be all over Howard, assuming his cap-number is reasonable, given that Devonta Freeman hasn't been the portrait of consistent health, but they're likely looking to replace Tevin Coleman's passing-down reps as much (or more) than his COP reps.  And, to be honest, with all the underclassmen declares these days, there are 3-4 Jordan Howards in every draft class.

22 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I mean, has Howard learned how to catch yet or at we still blaming Jay Cutler for that?  Normally, I'd think that a team like Atlanta would be all over Howard, assuming his cap-number is reasonable, given that Devonta Freeman hasn't been the portrait of consistent health, but they're likely looking to replace Tevin Coleman's passing-down reps as much (or more) than his COP reps.  And, to be honest, with all the underclassmen declares these days, there are 3-4 Jordan Howards in every draft class.

I'm not sure I can agree with that. Howard can be a terror in a zone scheme. He has improved as a receiver, but it's still not a strength. Regardless, in a zone scheme with talent around him, he's a very productive HB.

33 minutes ago, The LBC said:

We already have Colemans replacement on the roster in Ito Smith and he has really good hands as well.  Honestly alot of the times Ito looked like the better RB between the 2 while freeman was out. Even though the stats don;t really show it. But watching the game alot of fans on the Falcons board liked him and his style better of the 2.   This was in an article earlier in the season and he even got better after this.  Our O-line was garbage last year overall. "His 3.2 YPC average doesn’t look appealing on the surface, but all but one of his 102 yards have come after contact. Smith has also forced a missed tackle on 26.2% of his touches, as he ranks seventh out of 54 qualifiers in elusive rating".   I would rather not give anything for Howard personally in a trade as i think we can find someone as good if not better than him in the 4th or 5th round on a cheaper contract for alot more years if we even go RB.   I think alot of people forget we drafted the Judge last year as Colemans replacement lol.

Archived