2019 NFL Free Agency - let the money flow like water!

SmittyBacall

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't blame him having played 4 years on a 7th round pick salary. 

He's the kind of guy that I'd be wary of giving that type of money to overall though, I will admit. 

I can see him taking the money and being always over weight. He's also super injury prone.

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I can see him taking the money and being always over weight. He's also super injury prone.

I think he is a decent player but looked somewhat better than he is because of scheme and Scar. Him getting lazy and fat again after getting paid would also be a big worry for me

Just now, SBLIII said:

I think he is a decent player but looked somewhat better than he is because of scheme and Scar. Him getting lazy and fat again after getting paid would also be a big worry for me

He's always been a good pass protector though. 49ers fans have been saying it for years. I don't think his play in NE was all that drastically different than his previous play, so I'm not really worried about it from that perspective. I am worried about the laziness factor though, for sure. He's already got a history of nagging injuries (which won't go away with that kind of weight), and the 49ers staff questioned his toughness to play through injuries. I could see a situation where he gets a big deal and then misses 4-5 games every year with various nagging injuries just because. 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's always been a good pass protector though. 49ers fans have been saying it for years. I don't think his play in NE was all that drastically different than his previous play, so I'm not really worried about it from that perspective. I am worried about the laziness factor though, for sure. He's already got a history of nagging injuries (which won't go away with that kind of weight), and the 49ers staff questioned his toughness to play through injuries. I could see a situation where he gets a big deal and then misses 4-5 games every year with various nagging injuries just because. 

He’s just a big big human. As he ages, will his body be able to support his 380 pounds?

1 minute ago, EL Guapo said:

Matt Lombardo
Verified account
@MattLombardoNFL

Per league source, the #Giants have significant interest in Preston Smith. There are likely 6-7 teams in the mix. #NFL

Yeah, supposedly he's getting a lot of love, and the Giants are matching up against people with much deeper pockets. 

Just now, nextsuperstar1 said:

He’s just a big big human. As he ages, will his body be able to support his 380 pounds?

That's my concern as well. Those nagging injuries aren't going away at that weight. If it were just about his play, I'd have no issues with giving him a big deal if I were in dire straights. I just think that his specific situation makes it less than ideal because I don't think that there's any way that he (or the contract) ages all that well. 

1 minute ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

66 million for a guy who 12 months ago was thought to be a backup right tackle. He should give Dante Scarnecchia a big fat tip. 

He was never thought to be a back up right tackle. If people thought that, they never watched the niners play. Niners fans have been speaking highly of him for years with regards to his play on the field. Nobody pays attention to the right tackle on the worst team in football though. The Patriots just made him high profile. 

Archived