FIRE Gettleman, CUT Eli, PLAY for 2020

Acgott

15 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Yeah, I do not understand what Gettleman is doing. We have no defensive playmakers. The tag for safeties is absolutely not too high. Why the hell would you not tag him?

There is no logic. Gettleman wants to "compete" yet trades or cuts our best players. We can't rebuild because of Eli hogging our cap. The good news is there will be a short GM term. Complete embarrassment in all phases.

List of terrible moves by Gettleman...

1. Drafting Saquon (He exceeded my expectations, was amazing, but he is still a RB. You can't draft a RB at #2. Trade back, draft pass rusher)

2. Not cutting Eli

3. Alec Ogletree's roster bonus to a signing bonus. I'm not sure what his cap hit would be this year, but it certainty wouldn't' be 11.7M. An expensive LB that can't cover

4. Not trading Collins, OV, last year. If you know they aren't the future for a terrible team, then trade them for something.

5. Signing Jonathan Stewart. Such a small move compared to all the others, but still terrible.

And this is all in one year.

This is just another example that shows the incompetence of this front office.

I don't agree with some of you thinking that Eli Manning is part of the problem, when you give him protection and receivers to throw to he does just fine, but to each their own.  

There was no reason to switch this defense to a 34 all it did was cost the team several decent players and got little in return.  Gettleman was praised for his love for the offensive line, which was exactly all this team needed to fix so many of its problems.  Yet, he did very little to making it better.  I can't blame him for the LT Solder signing because next to him was a rookie that can't pull.  

He had one real job to do and he couldn't do that right.  He moved Flowers to the right side with no quality depth behind him and kept him.  Would have been nice to use the 4th rounder on a backup/potential starter than drafting another quarterback, yet to make that right he cut the previous years 3rd rounder.  He replaced a center with an RFA signing but then traded that RFA signing for a draft pick and then the starting center hit IR, leaving a hole.  Signed a RG in FA only to cut that player mid season.  It's pretty safe to say that this guy made the offensive line worse than it was the previous year.  It's almost like this guy is working for the other team.

He destroys the defense that will take years to get back.  Again, no reason at all to switch to a 34 defense when the real problem was mainly the offensive line.  He spent draft picks and free agent money of a defense that could have been spent on getting better in the areas where the team needed help.

This franchise was one of the few teams that players respected for it's leadership and how the front office handled its business.  This idiot is now playing this business like a cheap madden game, he's become the old jerry jones that we all used to laugh at for making stupid trades and poor free agency transactions.

Gettleman and this front office has gutted this team to the point I don't even recognize it.  It's sad that these idiots that call themselves owners are allowing it to happen or think that this was their only option.  

@ny92mike

If you have to Do A,B,C and D to help Eli, then whats the point? We can save a lot of money doing that for another cheaper QB.

I have no trouble switching to a 3-4. Many times with new coaches, teams switch all the time based on different coaches and schemes and it typically takes over a year for a solid transition. Our defense was one of the worst in 2017, so it couldn't hurt to try something new. The problem is we did it the completely the wrong way. 

OL was a disaster, though, I agree.

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

@ny92mike

If you have to Do A,B,C and D to help Eli, then whats the point? We can save a lot of money doing that for another cheaper QB.

I have no trouble switching to a 3-4. Many times with new coaches, teams switch all the time based on different coaches and schemes and it typically takes over a year for a solid transition. Our defense was one of the worst in 2017, so it couldn't hurt to try something new. The problem is we did it the completely the wrong way. 

OL was a disaster, though, I agree.

I have no idea what you're talking about with this A,B,C,D and E to help Eli.  My point was if you don't give an "in the pocket" quarterback a pocket to throw from then you aren't going to have any success.  Also, if you don't give the quarterback receivers to throw to he isn't going to have a ton of success either.  I watched the games, Eli had about enough time to throw to his running back.  Receiving routes never developed because he had no time to throw the football.  There isn't any abc that applies to Eli only, that's for every quarterback in this league.

I think what Gettleman is doing should have already gotten him fired, in fact the ownership should fire themselves.  If this team doesn't plan on winning games sure cut them all, cut the quarterback, cut the receiver that they just spent millions extending him contract.  Blow the entire team up I'm certain the fans won't mind.  Just keep stacking these crazy transactions on top of each other.  Logic sounds great...a couple pieces of the link is broken so get a hammer and completely destroy it and blame it on the quarterback when the problem isn't the quarterback its a lack of front office leadership and making poor decisions in personnel to protect him.  

Switching to a 34 defense does happen but the timing of it was horrible.  I've heard you talk about this before and even in one of your last comments was that it was done completely wrong because the GM wasn't aggressive enough and didn't cut Eli, so I can't agree with any of that but it wasn't how he did it that was crazy it was the timing that did little to help this defense out.

@ny92mike Awww man. We can't even agree on a hate Gettleman thread. We are never going to be besties are we? :(:(:(

I'm not going to go on about Eli with you, its clear we are never going to be on the same page there.

Our team is broken and we need to blow it up, but we are doing it in ridiculous ways. Keeping an old QB. Getting rid of young talented players. Its garbage all around.

21 minutes ago, Acgott said:

@ny92mike Awww man. We can't even agree on a hate Gettleman thread. We are never going to be besties are we? :(:(:(

I'm not going to go on about Eli with you, its clear we are never going to be on the same page there.

Our team is broken and we need to blow it up, but we are doing it in ridiculous ways. Keeping an old QB. Getting rid of young talented players. Its garbage all around.

HaHaHa.

Even though we don't agree on the details that this management is going, we do agree that it's garbage all around.

19 hours ago, Acgott said:

List of terrible moves by Gettleman...

1. Drafting Saquon (He exceeded my expectations, was amazing, but he is still a RB. You can't draft a RB at #2. Trade back, draft pass rusher)

2. Not cutting Eli

3. Alec Ogletree's roster bonus to a signing bonus. I'm not sure what his cap hit would be this year, but it certainty wouldn't' be 11.7M. An expensive LB that can't cover

4. Not trading Collins, OV, last year. If you know they aren't the future for a terrible team, then trade them for something.

5. Signing Jonathan Stewart. Such a small move compared to all the others, but still terrible.

And this is all in one year.

Lol I still can’t believe people are hating on the Saquon pick. He’s a generational talent that couldn’t be replaced with a lower chess piece (save maybe Nelson)

Yeah because there are so many options to readily replace Manning, but screw it let’s get Alex Tanny or Kyle to throw the ball to our playmakers. 

Ogletree is bad in coverage, but whom should be covering TE’s and RB’s, That’s right Landon Collins. Who can’t cover for **** and gets a pass by every fan. I mean he can cover flat zones pretty well, but that’s it. Because when we had pieces to mask his problems he dominated at what he did well, and that was stop the run. 

Also to make a trade there has to be two parties, and we both know Vernon’s contract is unmovable.

I’m of the line of thinking that Collins will be lucky to smell 8 Mil per year and Getty is letting him hit the free agent market so he can see he’s not 8 figure salary’s player the hard way. 

So really the only bad move we can agree on is the Ogletree deal, but I also believe that due to the restructure we will be out of the deal quicker. As in we can cut him next year for little dead money instead of having around for 10 Mill for two more years. And I still don’t understand the Stewart signing. 

To summarize most of our fans are just salty cause we didn’t franchise Collins. Which I think is a good thing for us, cause now Collins isn’t frustrated with the organization, he’s just uncertain what their future plans are  

This is such a knee-jerk thread. I get it, Collins is a loveable blue-collar player who embodies what the Giants are historically about. I love the guy and he's a good player. But he's not great, and his weakness in pass coverage is far too problematic to warrant being paid as an elite Safety - especially in today's NFL. Furthermore, he hasn't been very durable. 

Has Gettlemen been perfect? No. But he's done a fine job. Look at how the offense turned things around in the second half of the season. Didn't score 30 point in how many games? Then leading the division in points by the end of the season. It's not his fault he inherited a horrendous o-line and a hand full of terrible contracts on the defensive side of the ball. Adding an overpaid Safety to that would only magnify that issue. Gettlemen was tasked with rebuilding a deteriorated roster with bad contracts all over the place. This wasn't going to be a 1-year fix up.

Archived