Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Acgott

FIRE Gettleman, CUT Eli, PLAY for 2020

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

This is such a knee-jerk thread. I get it, Collins is a loveable blue-collar player who embodies what the Giants are historically about. I love the guy and he's a good player. But he's not great, and his weakness in pass coverage is far too problematic to warrant being paid as an elite Safety - especially in today's NFL. Furthermore, he hasn't been very durable. 

Has Gettlemen been perfect? No. But he's done a fine job. Look at how the offense turned things around in the second half of the season. Didn't score 30 point in how many games? Then leading the division in points by the end of the season. It's not his fault he inherited a horrendous o-line and a hand full of terrible contracts on the defensive side of the ball. Adding an overpaid Safety to that would only magnify that issue. Gettlemen was tasked with rebuilding a deteriorated roster with bad contracts all over the place. This wasn't going to be a 1-year fix up.

Wait bro, Eli’s the problem and we would be a playoff team without him. Let’s ask the other half of the league with teams with worse QB play if they’d take Eli for a year. 

Edited by YogiBiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My knee jerk reaction was “what, how can we not be re-signing one of our better defensive players”. But it makes sense tbh. 

I do hate this thing that fans do which is act like they’re saying something that a team hasn’t thought about. OV was coming off injury and his contract is a big one. So if you trading him is easy? Pls. 

Eli, dude is on the last year of his contract. The options in FA are scarce to say the least and the price is likely going to be driven up. I just don’t wanna hear the logic that cutting Eli should’ve allowed us to lock up Landon. 

Prior to this year, these past two years have been rough offensively and that’s being kind. And whether you like it or not the huge offensive improvement has happened under Eli.  

After one year, we should cut all ties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Let’s ask the other half of the league with teams with worse QB play if they’d take Eli for a year. 

No they wouldn't. Eli Manning is an abomination and I'm shocked that people still believe in him. I know it's not most, but man...I'd blow this thing up if I were you guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Lol I still can’t believe people are hating on the Saquon pick. He’s a generational talent that couldn’t be replaced with a lower chess piece (save maybe Nelson)

 

Yeah because there are so many options to readily replace Manning, but screw it let’s get Alex Tanny or Kyle to throw the ball to our playmakers. 

Ogletree is bad in coverage, but whom should be covering TE’s and RB’s, That’s right Landon Collins. Who can’t cover for **** and gets a pass by every fan. I mean he can cover flat zones pretty well, but that’s it. Because when we had pieces to mask his problems he dominated at what he did well, and that was stop the run. 

Also to make a trade there has to be two parties, and we both know Vernon’s contract is unmovable.

I’m of the line of thinking that Collins will be lucky to smell 8 Mil per year and Getty is letting him hit the free agent market so he can see he’s not 8 figure salary’s player the hard way. 

So really the only bad move we can agree on is the Ogletree deal, but I also believe that due to the restructure we will be out of the deal quicker. As in we can cut him next year for little dead money instead of having around for 10 Mill for two more years. And I still don’t understand the Stewart signing. 

To summarize most of our fans are just salty cause we didn’t franchise Collins. Which I think is a good thing for us, cause now Collins isn’t frustrated with the organization, he’s just uncertain what their future plans are  

 

A generational talent maybe, but still not a good pick. His position just isn't a high priority. We could have traded back a spot or two. I don't believe the Jets weren't offering us that same offer.

Collins is younger and a better player than Ogeltree. We chose Ogeltree over him pretty much.

I can't argue the OV thing but I think we could have swung him for a 7th.

My big thing is still Eli. We need his cap space for his level of play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Has Gettlemen been perfect? No. But he's done a fine job. Look at how the offense turned things around in the second half of the season. Didn't score 30 point in how many games? Then leading the division in points by the end of the season. It's not his fault he inherited a horrendous o-line and a hand full of terrible contracts on the defensive side of the ball. Adding an overpaid Safety to that would only magnify that issue. Gettlemen was tasked with rebuilding a deteriorated roster with bad contracts all over the place. This wasn't going to be a 1-year fix up.

How is the offense turning around on Gettleman? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

No they wouldn't. Eli Manning is an abomination and I'm shocked that people still believe in him. I know it's not most, but man...I'd blow this thing up if I were you guys.

Why would you say that?... Really, an abomination.  He played that poorly in your eyes?

His stats are pretty solid and god forbid he actually had gotten some help with pass protection.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Why would you say that?... Really, an abomination.  He played that poorly in your eyes?

His stats are pretty solid and god forbid he actually had gotten some help with pass protection.  

 

You would think we just gave Eli an extension with the way people talk. He’s gone by end of the year. Who are the alternatives, honestly? Teddy? Keenum? Now if you told me we could get Tannehill on a 1 year deal if we cut Eli then I’d be like  yeah that makes sense. But last time I checked he’s still a Dolphins player. Gettleman watched the film probably and looked at the options and probably said Eli is our best option. Now if he doesn’t try to get Haskins then it’s a fail. Imagine if we had a better QB than Eli those 30 point scoring efforts would be 50 instead by how supposedly bad he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel for you guys. Ever since y'all drafted Barkley I've been a semi-closet fan. :S 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

You would think we just gave Eli an extension with the way people talk. He’s gone by end of the year. Who are the alternatives, honestly? Teddy? Keenum? Now if you told me we could get Tannehill on a 1 year deal if we cut Eli then I’d be like  yeah that makes sense. But last time I checked he’s still a Dolphins player. Gettleman watched the film probably and looked at the options and probably said Eli is our best option. Now if he doesn’t try to get Haskins then it’s a fail. Imagine if we had a better QB than Eli those 30 point scoring efforts would be 50 instead by how supposedly bad he is.

If the giants draft a quarterback thats fine.  Admittedly I haven't seen much tape on haskins but what little ive seen he's got all day to make the throw.  

Id take Eli over most and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they extended his contract another year so they arent put in this position of being forced to draft one.  I'm not sold on any of the talent at qb in this draft and feel it would be a wasted pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Id take Eli over most and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they extended his contract another year so they arent put in this position of being forced to draft one.  I'm not sold on any of the talent at qb in this draft and feel it would be a wasted pick.

I just can't understand this. He is a 38 year old QB, who has clearly lost some zip. Stop with the band aids. We need surgery.

You say you aren't a fan of the quarterbacks, but you haven't watched tape on Haskins. What are you basing this off of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Acgott said:

I just can't understand this. He is a 38 year old QB, who has clearly lost some zip. Stop with the band aids. We need surgery.

You say you aren't a fan of the quarterbacks, but you haven't watched tape on Haskins. What are you basing this off of?

Have you not heard about this, that the quarterback class this year is pretty weak?  I've seen it several places but no once I get some time I'll watch some tape on these guys.  Like I said that tape I've seen the kid had all day to make the throw.  Now if he can do that under pressure then sure draft him.

As for age I could care less about that, Tom Brady just won a superbowl.  Eli is one of the toughest quarterbacks in this league, rarely is he hurt.  Surgery, more like letting the team bleed out on the table and die...haha.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2019 at 8:50 PM, Acgott said:

How is the offense turning around on Gettleman? 

That wasn’t me who wrote that post 

Edited by YogiBiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 8:05 PM, BleedTheClock said:

No they wouldn't. Eli Manning is an abomination and I'm shocked that people still believe in him. I know it's not most, but man...I'd blow this thing up if I were you guys.

But he wasn’t though? Like I’m not saying he’s elite anymore, but he’s not washed. He can still throw for 4K yards and 30 TD’s given his protection holds up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

If we're going to criticize every little move Gettleman makes, then let's give him credit when he makes good moves. Dumping an underperforming player on a bad contract for a much needed solid interior o-lineman .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/giantswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/08/new-york-giants-trade-olivier-vernon-to-cleveland-brown-kevin-zeitler/amp/

One of the better ones at his position no less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×