Dee Ford

BayBubbPackFan

51 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You would have had to give him $45m guaranteed instead of the $20m we gave to Z. Smith. The Packers were never going to do that. Don't be distracted by the seemingly close yearly average salaries, Ford's contract was much more expensive, plus a 2nd rounder. 

Just looking at guaranteed money can be a little deceiving too. We are giving Smith 34 in the first 2 years and he has 5m guaranteed in both year 3/4. Unless Smith legitimately sucks and is cut after year 1, he’s not walking away with less than 44m from us

1 minute ago, pacman5252 said:

Just looking at guaranteed money can be a little deceiving too. We are giving Smith 34 in the first 2 years and he has 5m guaranteed in both year 3/4. Unless Smith legitimately sucks and is cut after year 1, he’s not walking away with less than 44m from us

That is not correct. 34 million in the first two years is the actual money he receives - the 5 million in years 3 and 4 are dead cap for the Packers (signing bonus amortization), not actual money for him. If we cut him after year 2, 34 million is all he sees.

1 minute ago, Packer_ESP said:

That is not correct. 34 million in the first two years is the actual money he receives - the 5 million in years 3 and 4 are dead cap for the Packers (signing bonus amortization), not actual money for him. If we cut him after year 2, 34 million is all he sees.

Touché, good point. Either way, saying just 20 million was incorrect.

4 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I will say for the money we gave Z Smith, I’d have rather got Ford for a second. Z Smith is a  high end projection. Ford led the league in pressures. What Ford did was legitimately not replaceable.

Except for the years Ford is out because of his awful back condition.

50 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Except for the years Ford is out because of his awful back condition.

Not to mention we keep the all important 2nd round choice to add to our roster.  Matter of fact, we may have had to throw in another pick to match what San Fran did which again depletes players that could help out in this draft. 

4 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I will say for the money we gave Z Smith, I’d have rather got Ford for a second. Z Smith is a  high end projection. Ford led the league in pressures. What Ford did was legitimately not replaceable.

Mixed feelings on this.  Ford is surely the better player as shown last year when he lead all edge rushers in pressures.  On the other  hand there is absolutely nothing impressive about Z's production over his career.  He's being paid like an elite edge rusher while never showing that consistent ability while in Baltimore.  We're going to need to see SIGNIFICANT improvement as he gets older which isn't something you generally see from Free Agents.

While I think Ford is a significantly better pass rusher, Smith is a year and a half younger and didn't cost us a premier pick.  Don't like his contract but Green Bay unfortunately has their back against the wall.  We've been a draft and develop team that has been terrible at it over the last 4 or 5 years.  3 of our 4 UFA's were part of that 2015 draft class which was probably our worst draft in the last 30 years.  

Just now, spilltray said:

Ford was on the block for the same reason the Packers cut Perry. He wasn't living up to it. I'm glad the Packers didn't make that move.

Don't think this is true at all.  Ford lead all edge rushers in pressures on the QB last year so it's hard to say he wasn't living up to something.  IMO he was on the block in KC because they couldn't afford to pay him and because he is a terrible fit for Steve Spagnuolo's new 4-3 scheme.  

16 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Ford was on the block for the same reason the Packers cut Perry. He wasn't living up to it. I'm glad the Packers didn't make that move.

Living up to what? He just recorded 13 sacks and led the NFL in hurries and QB hits.

He was on the block because Spags is a moron who is no different than Dom and forces his scheme on players rather than incorporate his players into a scheme like Pettine. So glad we kept Pettine. Chiefs made some really dumb moves this off-season. I expect them to fall back a bit this year.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Living up to what? He just recorded 13 sacks and led the NFL in hurries and QB hits.

He was on the block because Spags is a moron who is no different than Dom and forces his scheme on players rather than incorporate his players into a scheme like Pettine. So glad we kept Pettine. Chiefs made some really dumb moves this off-season. I expect them to fall back a bit this year.

If he does it again for the 49ers, I'll be a believer.  Until then, I'm looking at him as a very good one year wonder in his contract year.  His previous back issues worry me;, I'm looking for younger players who have been on the field consistently the past 3-4 years who have a chance to improve upon their above average status per FF.

36 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Did you see who he played though and how he racked up the pressures? 4 sacks in the two games against a Denver team with a questionable OL, another 2.5 vs. Oakland so there's half his sack total alone. He's boom-or-bust and we signed two guys who are more consistent and haven't been pegged as injury-prone.

This topic is dead, stick a fork in it already!

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Did you see who he played though and how he racked up the pressures? 4 sacks in the two games against a Denver team with a questionable OL, another 2.5 vs. Oakland so there's half his sack total alone. He's boom-or-bust and we signed two guys who are more consistent and haven't been pegged as injury-prone.

This topic is dead, stick a fork in it already!

Where did I ever say we should've dealt for him? I'm just sick of us crapping on anyone who got paid that didn't end up in GB. Ford is a hell of a rusher, comparing him to Perry is laughable. He's also more consistent and better than either guy we got, stop with that.

The guys we signed are better fits for the different type of things Pettine likes to do with his edge players. They also didn't cost us a draft pick. Doesn't negate the fact that Ford is a hell of a pass rusher and we would've been lucky to have him if that's the route Gutey went.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Where did I ever say we should've dealt for him? I'm just sick of us crapping on anyone who got paid that didn't end up in GB. Ford is a hell of a rusher, comparing him to Perry is laughable. He's also more consistent and better than either guy we got, stop with that.

The guys we signed are better fits for the different type of things Pettine likes to do with his edge players. They also didn't cost us a draft pick. Doesn't negate the fact that Ford is a hell of a pass rusher and we would've been lucky to have him if that's the route Gutey went.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that. I certainly was not comparing him to Perry though.

I think the Ford talk was always “ break glass incase of emergency” type deal. Given the talk and rumors before FA... the smiths were likely plan A. They did their homework on Ford incase the plan went south because they needed to do something at the position this year, outside the draft.

But Ford was unlikely because of team building philosophy. Picks just hold more value in Green Bay. And even though ZaDarius’s deal is maybe objectively worse then Ford’s... ZaDarius comes with the benefit of coming with a 2nd round player on a nice rookie contract.

And I think Green Bay will always think it will do well at drafting so the 2nd Tounder is going to be a major player for the franchise moving forward... in their minds.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

If he does it again for the 49ers, I'll be a believer.  Until then, I'm looking at him as a very good one year wonder in his contract year.  His previous back issues worry me;, I'm looking for younger players who have been on the field consistently the past 3-4 years who have a chance to improve upon their above average status per FF.

But he wasn't a one year wonder.  He had 10 sacks, 12 TFL and 17 QB hits in 2016.  He was leading the league in sacks before a hamstring injury in wk 9 forced him off the field (he had 10 sacks in those 9 weeks) .  He got back on the field but wasn't the same player after the hamstring strain (he didn't register another sack during the regular season). 

If not for that back injury in week 3 of 2017, we'd likely be talking about Ford as the best of the edge rushers in this year's Free Agent class.  

Archived