Dee Ford

BayBubbPackFan

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

But he wasn't a one year wonder.  He had 10 sacks, 12 TFL and 17 QB hits in 2016.  He was leading the league in sacks before a hamstring injury in wk 9 forced him off the field (he had 10 sacks in those 9 weeks) .  He got back on the field but wasn't the same player after the hamstring strain (he didn't register another sack during the regular season). 

If not for that back injury in week 3 of 2017, we'd likely be talking about Ford as the best of the edge rushers in this year's Free Agent class.  

Again, there are 2 major if's in your thinking.  If he wouldn't have been hurt in 2 of the last 4 years.  Being a pine marten sitting on the bench being injured doesn't do his team one bit of good.  I want players who are on the field on a consistent basis if they are going to get paid in the mega millions category.   Shoulda, coulda, woulda if/when healthy doesn't make it with me.  Don't get me wrong as I said before, he is a very, very good player.  With who we just signed and keeping our 2nd rounder besides …. I'm plenty good with that.     

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Did you see who he played though and how he racked up the pressures? 4 sacks in the two games against a Denver team with a questionable OL, another 2.5 vs. Oakland so there's half his sack total alone. He's boom-or-bust and we signed two guys who are more consistent and haven't been pegged as injury-prone.

This topic is dead, stick a fork in it already!

How are the Smith's more consistent? 

ZaDarius Smith's career production as an edge rusher is anything but impressive with just 18.5 sacks in 59 career games.  Last year, he seen 35% of his sacks come in one game against a Titans team that gave up 11 sacks in the game.  

Last year Preston Smith went half the season without a sack and only 4 hits on the QB.  I like the signing for the money but he's never shown any sort of consistency over his career.  He's either been pretty good (2015 & 2017) or he's bordered on irrelevant (2016 & 2018).  

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Again, there are 2 major if's in your thinking.  If he wouldn't have been hurt in 2 of the last 4 years.  Being a pine marten sitting on the bench being injured doesn't do his team one bit of good.  I want players who are on the field on a consistent basis if they are going to get paid in the mega millions category.   Shoulda, coulda, woulda if/when healthy doesn't make it with me.  Don't get me wrong as I said before, he is a very, very good player.  With who we just signed and keeping our 2nd rounder besides …. I'm plenty good with that.     

There were no if's attached to Ford's 2016 season.  It was the type of season we'd been dreaming of getting from CM3 for the last 4 years.  I was simply pointing out that the whole "Ford is one hit wonder during a contract season" is a false narrative.  

I'm ok with the signings, as I said earlier.  Our backs are against the wall with an aging QB and we're desperate.  You've got to overpay when there is desperation involved.  Hopefully the Smith's develop into the pass rushers they are being paid to be and we hit on the second rounder, something we haven't done in 5 years.  While Zadarius Smith is no where near the caliber of edge rusher that Dee Ford is, I'd probably have leaned towards what we did instead of trading for Ford.  Smith is younger and a more versatile defender and that second round pick will hopefully contribute sooner rather than later.  

14 minutes ago, SSG said:

There were no if's attached to Ford's 2016 season.  It was the type of season we'd been dreaming of getting from CM3 for the last 4 years.  I was simply pointing out that the whole "Ford is one hit wonder during a contract season" is a false narrative. 

Ford's 2016 season was not what you're acting like it was, and you need to stop acting like it was what you're acting like it was.

He had 2 sacks against Menelik Watson.
He had 3.5 sacks against the Colts and whoever the hell was their right tackle (Vujachic, Reitz or Clark.
He had 2 sacks against the Jaguars. 

2.5 sacks the rest of the season. 

It was not spectacular. 

Three years from now people are going to say Kyler Fackrell had a great 2018 season when in reality he had 3 sacks against the Bills, 3 sacks against the Seahawks and was an extremely average player in 2018. 

15 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Ford's 2016 season was not what you're acting like it was, and you need to stop acting like it was what you're acting like it was.

He had 2 sacks against Menelik Watson.
He had 3.5 sacks against the Colts and whoever the hell was their right tackle (Vujachic, Reitz or Clark.
He had 2 sacks against the Jaguars. 

2.5 sacks the rest of the season. 

It was not spectacular. 

Three years from now people are going to say Kyler Fackrell had a great 2018 season when in reality he had 3 sacks against the Bills, 3 sacks against the Seahawks and was an extremely average player in 2018. 

We'll agree to disagree on what is and isn't impressive.  10 sacks and 14 QB hits in the first 9 weeks is impressive in my mind regardless if they came in spurts.  I don't care that he had big games on his way to a great season.  That's not all that different that CM3's career year's where he got almost half his season total in sacks in 2 games.  

I'd imagine if Kyler Fackrell goes on and leads all edge rushers in QB pressures next year or the year after then the opinions of his 2018 season will change drastically.  

Just now, SSG said:

That's not all that different that CM3's career year's where he got almost half his season total in sacks in 2 games. 

Lie alert. 

Matthews had a sack in 7 games his rookie year.
Matthews had a sack in 9 games his second year.
Matthews had a sack in 8 games his fourth year.
Matthews had a sack in 6/11 games his fifth year.
Matthews had a sack in 8 games his 6th year.

Ford's 2016 season he had a sack in 5/15 games. 

Matthews in his prime (up to 2014 with the exception of 2011) was extremely consistent.  Ford was not. 

Ford has had one really good season that happened to be a contract year. 

22 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lie alert. 

Matthews had a sack in 7 games his rookie year.
Matthews had a sack in 9 games his second year.
Matthews had a sack in 8 games his fourth year.
Matthews had a sack in 6/11 games his fifth year.
Matthews had a sack in 8 games his 6th year.

Ford's 2016 season he had a sack in 5/15 games. 

Matthews in his prime (up to 2014 with the exception of 2011) was extremely consistent.  Ford was not. 

Ford has had one really good season that happened to be a contract year. 

I didn't lie, the common core math you are learning in 3rd hour just sucks.  I'll help you.

That's not all that different that CM3's career year's where he got almost half his season total in sacks in 2 games

CM3's 2 most successful years ("career years") in regards to sacking the QB were 2010 (13.5 sacks) and 2012 (13 sacks).

Maybe 6 isn't "almost half" of 13 or 13.5 in your eyes but it is in mine.

Either way, it's a dead issue.  If you want to make 10 sacks in 9 games out to be a feat that is completed by every edge rusher ever to put on a NFL jersey, more power to you.  Your crusade to make Dee Ford out to be a terrible player can end as he's going to be a 49er.

Just now, Joe said:

Some people just get so hooked on a player that they'll tune out stats and injuries to justify their argument.

Who's hooked?  It's down right ignorant to make 10 sacks in 9 games out to be terrible production because it doesn't align with the argument that Ford is a less than mediocre football player with one quality year as a pro.

I've got no skin in this game as I've already stated on multiple occasions that over paying for Z. Smith and keeping the second round pick is the risk I'd have taken.  

Archived