Would your team trade this years 1st for DLaw?

DaBoys

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

absolutely right. Lawrence on a 20M per year contract is not very valuable.

I don't understand this logic. You know what you get with DLaw and a Mack, etc. How is that not more valuable then a draft pick.

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

I don't understand this logic. You know what you get with DLaw and a Mack, etc. How is that not more valuable then a draft pick.

I'm not really a fan of handing out monster contracts to non QBs and create a top heavy team. They just don't alter the result enough for me to give them that type of contract. The value is not good enough for me to do it.

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Difference is Bosa is going to cost less than half of what DLaw will cost over the next 4 years (also think there is reason to hope he is even better than DLaw). The great edge rushers usually don't take too long to adjust to the game, if Bosa is the real deal (which you obviously believe if you draft him), he probably is producing around DLaw level by year 2.

That's why they wouldn't make the trade. But the fact of that matter is, what percentage of top 5 picks end up as good as him? That's why I'm saying he would be worth the #2 pick. On a talent level. The draft pick is a complete unknown. What if you draft Ryan Leaf? Wouldn't you rather have Demarcus Lawrence? What about if you drafted Charles Rogers? You don't make the trade because the value of drafting someone like Julius Peppers and having him on a rookie deal is a huge thing, but lets be real, if your #2 overall pick turns into DLaw, you are extremely happy and satisfied. 

10 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

Maybe not if you account for the difference in Salaries though. Bosa’s Cap numbers over his rookie contract will be what, 13-15 or more less than Lawrence would expect in any contract extension.

Is Lawrence worth Bosa plus Trey Flowers or Bosa plus Earl Thomas/Landon Collins (take your pick)?

That's why you don't make the trade - because having that pass rusher on a rookie deal itself is so huge. But what if Bosa is Courtney Brown? On a talent level, Dlaw is absolutely worth the #2 overall pick. 

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Think about what's wrong with that statement. You're betting on potential, not results already rendered.

A Top 3 DE worth 20 million is still far more valuable then a rookie "if" you can afford them.

You don’t pay on “results rendered.” That is how your team gets into trouble. You pay based upon what you believe the player will produce in the future. You need to trust your scouts, evaluation and analytics to properly evaluate what that future performance will be.  you can’t just assume a player will continue to perform at that past level. 

18 minutes ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

You don’t pay on “results rendered.” That is how your team gets into trouble. You pay based upon what you believe the player will produce in the future. You need to trust your scouts, evaluation and analytics to properly evaluate what that future performance will be.  you can’t just assume a player will continue to perform at that past level. 

So wait you are more willing to assume a player with no history will perform at a high level, but a player who has repeatedly done it wont be able to sustain their production?

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

I'm not really a fan of handing out monster contracts to non QBs and create a top heavy team. They just don't alter the result enough for me to give them that type of contract. The value is not good enough for me to do it.

This is why I loathe the salary cap. It incentivizes teams not to pay players what they're worth due to the constraints of trying to fit 53 players under the cap. 

Also, veteran players in 2011 essentially played themselves in CBA negotiations. The drastic decrease in the amount of money rookies got made it easier for teams to replace veterans with cheaper rookies.

Archived