Post-Combine Mock - Entire 1st Round

smetana34

Second take with one of these. I'll likely do one more after FA, just before the draft. 

Green Bay has roughly 35 million in cap space. Tramon is let go with Breeland being retained. New cap: roughly 40 million. 

Retained:

Breeland - 3/24 million - there seems to be a divide in the forum about what to do with him. Is he actually good, or just better than what we're used to? In either case, he provides nice insurance should King miss more time, should Alexander regress (ala Randall and Rollins) or Jackson doesn't take a step forward in his development. We finally have a good corp. I don't want to mess with it. 

Not retained:

Cobb - underperformed his last contract and there isn't much value in an oft-injured slot WR.

Matthews - was retained in my last mock as I believe there's a spot for him here as a situational rusher, but after seeing what Graham got paid and how bare the market is looking, Clay will get 10 million per from someone, and that's too much for me. 

Wilkerson - looked okay here, but coming off an injury and with motivational issues in the past, we decide to move on

Free Agency:

S Tyrann Mathieu - 4 years/44 million - my #1 free agent target. At this point, he and Houston are reportedly not close on an extension. Not much need to be said about him. He's smart, instinctive, a natural leader, and fiery. He plays at a position of need for us and can play a multitude of positions ala Woodson. Still has youth on his side as he's just 26 years old. 

S Tre Boston - 4 years/28 million - apart of last years crop of FA safeties who saw a very cold market, ultimately settling for a one year, 1.5 million dollar contract. He had another solid campaign (80 tackles, 3 INTs) and jumps at a good offer to come to Green Bay. He plays more of the free safety role, while Mathieu plays closer to the LOS, but in a league heading more towards positionless football, they're both versatile and interchangeable. 

OL Billy Turner - 3 years/18 million - has bounced around a bit from team to team and played just about every position. He settled in to LG this year for Denver, and played rather well. We bring him in to play RG, and to provide depth across the entire offensive line. 

Draft:

1. Arizona - QB Kyler Murray

2. 49ers - DE Nick Bosa

3. Jets - DL Quinnen Williams

4. Raiders - EDGE Josh Allen

5. Bucs - DT Ed Oliver

6. Giants - QB Dwayne Haskins

7. Jaguars - OT Andre Dillard

8. Lions - EDGE Monteaz Sweat

9. Bills - OT Jonah Williams 

10. Broncos - QB Drew Lock

11. Bengals - ILB Devin White

12. Raiders - DK Metcalf - Gruden calls and see's a player falling that he loves. He offers #24 and #27 for #12 and #108. Gute has a few players he likes in the same tier, and accepts the offer. 

13. Dolphins - OT Jawan Taylor

14. Falcons - DL Rashan Gary

15. Redskins - CB Greedy Williams 

16. Panthers - DL Clelin Ferrell

17. Packers - Gute sees Ferrell go, leaving the last player in his tier (Gary, Ferrell, Taylor, Burns) available. He calls Dorsey in Cleveland, and offers #24, #75, and #172 for #17 to select Brian Burns, LB, FSU. He really showed up at the combine. He came in heavier than most expected and still killed it in the agility tests. He led the league in pressures last year and offers a host of pass rushing moves. If he was a little heavier he would fit as a 4-3 end in Atlanta or Carolina, so they opt for heavier prospects in Gary and Ferrell, causing Burns to drop a few. 

18. Minnesota - OL Cody Ford

19. Titans - TE TJ Hockenson

20. Steelers - CB Byron Murphy 

21. Seahawks - S Taylor Rapp

22. Ravens - WR AJ Brown

23. Texans - OG Chris Lindstrom 

24. Browns - LB Devin Bush

25. Eagles - RB Joshua Jacobs 

26. Colts - DL Christian Wilkins

27. Green Bay Packers - TE Noah Fant - considered the 2nd best TE in the class, you won't find a more fluid athlete at the position. He's the type of seam splitting TE Rodgers loves, all while being an adequate blocker. With Graham on the roster, he isn't forced into immediate action, but quickly asserts himself, making Graham's release next year inevitable.

28. Chargers - OL Greg Little

29. Chiefs - CB DeAndre Baker

30. Green Bay Packers - OT Dalton Risner - another guy who had a great combine. He's played all over the line so he offers versatility, but we drafted him with an eye towards future RT. Very fast and agile, while also playing with a nasty streak. Excels as a pass blocker and mauls in the run game, but footwork needs some work and he can afford to add a little weight. Green Bay has or is set to meet with him. He competes with Turner for immediate playing time at RG, ultimately with the talent winning out. Gets his feet wet at RG while spending a year in a professional weight room before moving over to RT in year two, provided Spriggs doesn't show development there. 

31. Rams - S Nasir Adderley 

32. Patriots - DL Jeffery Simmons

#44 - Green Bay Packers - DL/EDGE Jaylon Ferguson - flying under the radar after being uninvited from the combine. Not the twitchy athlete Burns is, but more of the stout edge defender (our version of Lamar Woodley) great against the run, his hands usage is amongst the best in this class, and wins with power. Not the best athlete so his coverage ability lacks, but he is quick to process what he's seeing and instinctive. Could play DL in a pinch or in rotation on long passing distances. 

#112 - DL Renell Wrenn - a late round prospect to start, he had a great senior bowl followed by a fantastic combine. Incredibly large and agile, he was given the highest combine grade at DT this year, over Q. Williams. Incredibly strong individual who hasn't shown many pass rush moves outside of a bull rush, which he notes was the coaches orders. Him and Clark collapsing the pocket would make things a lot easier on Daniels and the rest of our front 7.

#140 - WR Hunter Renfrow - there is nothing physically appealing about Renfrow, but he's a terrific route runner and understands how to read defenses and find the soft spot. Watching him take Minkah Fitzpatrick, a top pick last year, to work a few seasons back should alleviate aren't concerns about his ability to play ball.

Pick 182 - RB Darwin Thompson - stands only 5'8, but don't let that fool you. He's a quick, shifty, powerful man cut from the same cloth as Darren Sproles. Never started in high school, thus not heavily recruited, he's a humble young man who's not afraid to work hard. 

Pick 204 - K Matt Gay - big leg as he had multiple successful attempts over 50 yards, and accurate connecting on 26/31 overall attempts. Competition for Crosby. 

I wanted to focus on getting more immediate impact players rather than depth, hence the trades of many of our middle round picks. With the pass rushing market looking bare and over priced, I think we're better off spending at other positions, and hammering the draft hard for pass rush. Oakland reportedly loves Metcalf, but how far he'd have to fall in order for them to move up is anyone's guess; Gruden is unpredictable. With Miami having a need at WR, Oakland attempts to jump them. We saw last year Gute isn't afraid to trade down and back up to get the last player in his tier, so it could happen. 

Vegas wants...

2 safeties in free agency, one being a true free safety, the other being a disruptor around the LOS.  Got them both!

2 edge players.  You got Thunder (Fergie) and Lightining (Burns).  Nicely done!

Offensive linemen, you got one veteran in free agency and got me a great one in Risner via the draft.  Unreal.

Tight end.  Somehow you managed to get one of the top ones, one that is so fluid!  I dig it!

You had me with two safeties.  You really had me with 2 EDGE players.  Made me cry with happiness with Fant/Risner.

You sir, are a magnificent person.  

If we got Burns, Fant, Risner, Ferguson, plus two good young safeties I'd probably cry in happiness, but things would really have to fall in our favor for that to happen. I"m not confident Burns will get to 12. much less 17. But hey, crazier things have happened.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

If we got Burns, Fant, Risner, Ferguson, plus two good young safeties I'd probably cry in happiness, but things would really have to fall in our favor for that to happen. I"m not confident Burns will get to 12. much less 17. But hey, crazier things have happened.

Don't rain on my parade!  :D

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Much like no one thought there was any way in hell that Derwin James would fall into the Packers lap last draft and yet ... anything is possible on draft day!

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

Much like no one thought there was any way in hell that Derwin James would fall into the Packers lap last draft and yet ... anything is possible on draft day!

I was more surprised Edmunds was available. And like a lot of people, I was LIVID when we traded down. Worked out just fine in the end. 😅

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Hence my last sentence. 

I was adding on to your last sentence not attacking you for your comment. No worries noted for next time. Arthur is a little sensitive careful how you word things when quoting him lol.

BOLD!!

Quite impressive haul. Although you are probably a little optimistic on availability, but if your choice isnt there, there will likely be someone just as good that we are not expecting.

My only suggestion would be a Safety at 44. This is the sweet spot for a good one, there are 5 that would represent good value and at least one should be left.

16 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I admit, I am not a good enough poker player to trade down at 12 with Burns on the board.  I would have just taken him.

Me either, but....  That spot is shaping up to be a good spot for Ferrell.  So if two EDGE guys are on the board, given the draft capital GB has, and more with the trade, moving back up for one of them makes sense and can be easily done.

Personally I think Burns has a better shot at top 10 than where he is selected here, but even if you replaced him with Ferrell, I'm still super pumped over this haul.

Not quite a dream draft for me as I'd want more of an investment than Hunter Renfrow at WR but It's hard not to like this off season a ton given the haul at Safety and those first 4 picks.  

Archived