Which players would you NOT trade for a 2020 first round pick?

SmittyBacall

I heard this hypothetical question on a podcast and thought it was an interesting talking point.

For the Bengals, aside from William Jackson III, there really isn't anyone else I wouldn't trade for a first. Considering the age of Atkins, Green, and Dunlap, I think it'd be foolish not to consider trading them for a premium pick if presented with the opportunity. Jessie Bates, who was a second round pick last year and has looked great, is borderline for me. It's a little depressing from the perspective of a Bengals fan.

Which players (from your favourite team) would you NOT trade for a first round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft?

Largely depends on what my goals are for the 49ers moving forward. Are we pushing all in on this season to get to the playoffs? Because if you are, I can't trade Staley, even though that is obviously insane value for him. 

Right now, I'd say that the only players would be Kittle, Jimmy G (you kind of just have to ride this out until you know what you have there), Buckner, and probably McG. If the team doesn't make major moves in free agency and trades, and doesn't push all in on the season, then I would easily trade Staley for a FRP in 2020. 

Only Brady and Mason. Might be a different conversation if we are talking about the pick after the 2019 season but right now he gives us the best chance to win SB54. Mason is just a beast of an OL.

Gilmore I would trade because he only has 2 more prime years left

Other than that pretty obvious that no one is worth more than a 2020 1st rounder.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

Given the value of the position it would be tough not to consider a 1st for Shaq. 

I guess it depends how high the pick is. Because you are likely not finding a comparable player with a late first and Mason is 25 and just signed a reasonable deal. Elite interior OL now go really early as well.

52 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I heard this hypothetical question on a podcast and thought it was an interesting talking point.

For the Bengals, aside from William Jackson III, there really isn't anyone else I wouldn't trade for a first. Considering the age of Atkins, Green, and Dunlap, I think it'd be foolish not to consider trading them for a premium pick if presented with the opportunity. Jessie Bates, who was a second round pick last year and has looked great, is borderline for me. It's a little depressing from the perspective of a Bengals fan.

Which players (from your favourite team) would you NOT trade for a first round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft?

I think plenty of teams would take AJ Green and/or Atkins off your hands for a future 1st.

The Ravens don't have many names either, as a team with a lot of good players and few great. I wouldn't trade Lamar Jackson or Marlon Humphrey for a future first. Ronnie Stanley is a close call because it'd be hard to replace someone like him, unless it's a HIGH first, but I would be tempted if I expect the other team to suck. But yea, that pretty much it for the Ravens.

Edit: Actually, I think Orlando Brown and Mark Andrews should be list worthy as well. They are both guys that look now like they would have been good mid-late first round picks. Positional value makes it so that I'd consider taking the pick again, if I expect the other team to be way up the draft 

On the Patriots. . . umm... I guess... uh... hmm... idk.

Oh!

David Andrews, the center. I think immaybe after next season if he slips up a bit I would consider it but heading into 2019? Nah, he's a really good player, leader, and important.

Other than him? Hmmmm... idk. Maybe? Maybe... ah... hmm... let tis see... ahh... mmm... no. Nope. No one else. I guess.

Archived