Which players would you NOT trade for a 2020 first round pick?

SmittyBacall

13 hours ago, roger murdock said:

I wouldn't trade these guys for high first rounder:

Mayfield, Ward, Garrett

I would consider trading these guys for an top 10 pick, but not for a late first

Peppers, Njoku, Schobert, Chubb, Ogunjobi, Randall

If you don't trade those guys for a top 10 pick I'm not sure what to tell you or where to begin.

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

Chubb and Ogunjobi are gonna break out hard this year imo

Still, Chubb is a runningback. You need to consider his positional value. Maybe the Bengals are more desperate than the Browns for picks at this point. But for as good as Mixon is I wouldn't hesitate to give him up for a first. 

Anyway, to each his own.

Patriots: Brady, Gilmore, that’s probably the only definites. 

Probably wouldn’t trade for a first rounder: Wynn? Because the team just used a mid first round on him, I’m not sure the team could get anyone better during the draft, and there isn’t a replacement available via trade or free agency. I’m not saying anyone should trade a first rounder for him, just the Patriots do not have an easy route available to replace him. 

I'd probably say for the Vikings:

Hunter
Thielen
Diggs

Beyond that, everyone I'd move. Might be odd not to trade both of the WR's for a 1st, but I think with them, even if you  were to trade Cousins for a 1st, we could immediately get a QB in and have solid offensive production.

I think some people seriously overrate draft picks. Not sure how many good players on any team I'd trade for a first round pick. There's no guarantee that pick becomes a good player. I do have a guarantee that the good player on my team is, well, good.

9 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I think some people seriously overrate draft picks. Not sure how many good players on any team I'd trade for a first round pick. There's no guarantee that pick becomes a good player. I do have a guarantee that the good player on my team is, well, good.

I think the rookie contract and 5th year option make it especially valuable.  If I have a player who established himself as good, I will probably need to resign him within the next year or two. At that point, he will likely cost more than a first round pick and is older with more wear and tear.  

I wouldn’t trade a good pass rusher, o tackle, qb, or elite player regardless of position.  Basically anyone who I expect would go top ten in your average draft.  

Other than that I’m taking the pick because, along with the contract, the success rate on first rounders is much higher than all other rounds.  You could improve those odds and take two prospects or trade the extra pick to move up and acquire a rare player.  

On 3/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, ET80 said:

Hopkins. Watson. MAYBE Watt, but that's more sentimental value over on-field production.

What are you on about with Watt. He was great last year. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more valuable than a 2020 or even 2019 1st (and left out a crap-ton of "y's").

Also I wouldn't trade Clowney, McKinney, or Cunningham for a 2020 1st.

7 minutes ago, mse326 said:

What are you on about with Watt. He was great last year. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more valuable than a 2020 or even 2019 1st (and left out a crap-ton of "y's").

Also I wouldn't trade Clowney, McKinney, or Cunningham for a 2020 1st.

I'm thinking less about him now, more about Watt in 3-5 years. Diminishing returns and whatnot. 

I probably forgot Clowney, but I'd move an ILB for a 1st in a heartbeat. Not BOTH, but I'd be good with moving one because I have the other + Dylan Cole.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm thinking less about him now, more about Watt in 3-5 years. Diminishing returns and whatnot. 

I probably forgot Clowney, but I'd move an ILB for a 1st in a heartbeat.

You are significantly overrating what the average 1st rounder becomes. Not talking about the extremes, the average. McKinney is a young all pro/pro bowl player. That is far above the average 1st rounder. I've always been higher on Cunningham than most but given that I wanted him in the 1st and felt we were lucky to get him in the 2nd and he has played well I see no reason to trade him. The average 1st rounder isn't much better if at all.

And I'll take 3-5 years of this Watt han 3-5 years of maybe starter play like the average 1st rounder.

Archived