Free Agency

TedLavie

On 4/16/2019 at 9:03 AM, TedLavie said:

I'm probably going to hurt some sensibilities here but:

If Mahomes asks for 35-40M a year, a good case can be made from tag and trade him before his year 5 and drafting someone else. Majority of recent SB teams had QBs on their rookie contract / team friendly deals

Heck no. There is no combination of players you can spend $40M on that will match the value prime Mahomes will bring to the team.

18 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I don't understand why players want to hurt the team they're playing for, by asking for more money than a team can reasonably pay. Why not just get rich and help your team extend other players that can put your team in the playoffs year after year?

I agree on this... There has to be some balance on value vs team discount.

Just now, valkrei said:

I agree on this... There has to be some balance on value vs team discount.

The only true fix I think is if the NFL had a personal player cap which imo would be great for the game.  This would also mean other players would get paid more overall from the top down.

1 hour ago, valkrei said:

The only true fix I think is if the NFL had a personal player cap which imo would be great for the game.  This would also mean other players would get paid more overall from the top down.

I think it'd be good as well, but I can't see the players association passing that.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think it'd be good as well, but I can't see the players association passing that.

You know it might pass because teams have a min and max cap.  I would also add a Cap for all players on the team as well including practice squad. If done right the average and above average players will all see an increase in money they make.  Its about making it benefit more players than a handful.  This is the key.

On 4/17/2019 at 6:44 PM, kingseanjohn said:

The NFLPA might actually be very in favor of a maximum contract size or maximum annual salary. The vast majority of NFL players are never going to see a $10M/year contract, let alone $20M or $30M. For most of the league, setting a cap on contracts would actually increase their share of the pot. It's not too different from the NFLPA approving a rookie scale. It took away money from the few and spread it around a bit better.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:06 PM, mayanfootball said:

I'd add that we can't be absolutely sure about Kelce, so a TE is needed as well.

Wanted to ask about Kelce... does Reid use him as a Y TE ever or is he always flexed out? If he does deploy him from the Y, does he ever stay in to run block/pass block and if he does is he any good at it?

I ask because we are running your offense and need a receiving threat at TE that can play the Y. Jace Sternberger jumps out at me.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Wanted to ask about Kelce... does Reid use him as a Y TE ever or is he always flexed out? If he does deploy him from the Y, does he ever stay in to run block/pass block and if he does is he any good at it?

I ask because we are running your offense and need a receiving threat at TE that can play the Y. Jace Sternberger jumps out at me.

Jace reminds me of Kelce. I really hope we take him. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 9:59 AM, G08 said:

He does both. He'll play in line, in the slot, split out wide, and occasionally in the backfield. We definitely use him far more to run block or block on screens than we use him to pass protect. He's a solid run blocker. He's not Gronk but he's functional. Won't drive guys out of the play but he knows his responsibility and doesn't get beat constantly or anything. Pass pro he honestly doesn't do enough for me to say I know how good or bad he is at it. I feel like we ask our RBs to help in pass pro much more than our TEs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Spencer Ware signed with indiapolis for 1.3 M$ - which is good news for the Chiefs as that gets them a 4th round comp pick if things go well.

How that? The Ware signing cancels out one of the Chiefs cheap FA signings previously cancelled out by Nelson. Now Nelson becomes a comp pick for the Chiefs in the 4th round.

Chiefs may get one more if Bailey signs a qualifying contract. Don't think he'll net more than a fifth - which would be cancelled out by the Okafor signing, but it would still net the Chiefs a 7th rounder.

Edited by KC_Guy
  • Like 2

Chiefs spent big on UDFA this year. Reportedly WR Jamal Custis received 100,000$ guaranteed, while WR Cody Thompson, QB Kyle Shurmur, LB Darius Harris and P Jack Fox each will earn over 40,000$. 

Thus I think Custis is nearly guaranteed a roster spot. Interesting they pay a punter handsomely - this could spell doom for Dustin Colquitt!

36 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Chiefs spent big on UDFA this year. Reportedly WR Jamal Custis received 100,000$ guaranteed, while WR Cody Thompson, QB Kyle Shurmur, LB Darius Harris and P Jack Fox each will earn over 40,000$. 

Thus I think Custis is nearly guaranteed a roster spot. Interesting they pay a punter handsomely - this could spell doom for Dustin Colquitt!

Colquit has been getting hit a lot of the last few years he might be thinking retirement or something.  Prob a good idea to be honest to start looking for a replacement just to be safe.