Free Agency

TedLavie

For real though, wtf is Veach doing.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I get Houston. That makes sense. Cost v Production and all that. 

Ford is a little bothersome though, especially for a fan of the team that just acquired him. Like, why were the chiefs so willing to trade him if he's legitimate? That doesn't make any sense. Great pass rushers are one of the most important positions in the game, and usually when you have good ones, you don't let them go. So why did the chiefs let this one go, I have to wonder? It almost comes off like a BB move where he's just outsmarting everyone. 

I wish I knew. Chiefs currently have $35ish mil in cap space. Unless they're about to announce heavily front loaded contract extensions for Hill and/or Jones then I don't get it.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I get Houston. That makes sense. Cost v Production and all that. 

Ford is a little bothersome though, especially for a fan of the team that just acquired him. Like, why were the chiefs so willing to trade him if he's legitimate? That doesn't make any sense. Great pass rushers are one of the most important positions in the game, and usually when you have good ones, you don't let them go. So why did the chiefs let this one go, I have to wonder? It almost comes off like a BB move where he's just outsmarting everyone. 

Neither Ford nor Houston could play in a 4-3. This is a Spags move and a money game we're playing.

3 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Neither Ford nor Houston could play in a 4-3. This is a Spags move and a money game we're playing.

Ford is going to play a 4-3 with 49ers just FWIW; I think trading Ford is  more that the Front Office didn't want to pay him big money with his inconsistent play, injury history and  he sucks at the run. He won't be worth the money and it's better to recoup compensation when his value is higher. I wish it was this years 2nd round pick tho. 

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Any word on what Shane Ray is doing? I think he'd be invigorated to play for his hometown team (or at least I'd hope so) and we need pass rush. He's still only 25 but was banged up and an underachiever for Denver.

I could see you guys grab Ray on a small deal and then Ziggy in a cheap one year deal. Obviously that tandem comes with a lot of questions, but there's upside for it to be good as well

• Like 1

Two players signed short term, cap cleared. Chiefs are really setting up to sign Hill, Mahomes, and I'd think Jones long term.

What I find weird: no re-signings at all, even of depth players. One re-sign I'd like to see: Jeff Allen. Keeping Bailey for the right price would help as well.

Don't think the Sausage will be back. Will miss him.

Edited by KC_Guy

6 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Call me crazy but I don't understand how getting rid of Houston AND Ford made our defense better. They were two of the three best parts of it.

It doesn't short term. But getting a 2nd for a player who wasn't part of our long term plans and who really had one great year? I don't think it's a bad move.

Houston I guess we need to wait. Still a lot of good players available in FA. Maybe we grab Darby/Desir. Maybe Ansah. Maybe KJ Wright. Maybe we trade for a Jalen Ramsey. Question is can the cap freed up help us short term or long term. Currently it doesn't but that may still come.

Don't forget we have Tyreek and CJ extensions this year plus Mahomes next year.

I like the trade. The coaching staff and FO clearly didnt rate Ford or want to pay him. A pick this year would have been better, but we are amassing some very decent draft capital and cap room. I think its fair to say we aren't done with making big moves this offseason. 

2 hours ago, kempus said:

I like the trade. The coaching staff and FO clearly didnt rate Ford or want to pay him. A pick this year would have been better, but we are amassing some very decent draft capital and cap room. I think its fair to say we aren't done with making big moves this offseason. 

we could still trade a 2nd next year to move up this year. 

1 hour ago, valkrei said:

we could still trade a 2nd next year to move up this year. 

For sure. We have 4 2nds over the next two drafts. Thats a lot of capital to potentially move up with or aquire a player in a trade.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kempus said:

For sure. We have 4 2nds over the next two drafts. Thats a lot of capital to potentially move up with or aquire a player in a trade.

One of the things I like most about Veach is he will do whatever it takes to get the guy he wants.

Edited by Chiefs_5627
  • Like 1