Spencer Ware As An Option

soulman

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree wholeheartedly with that thought process, but I also think any slim trade leverage we have now goes away or at least significantly dwindles the second we have Howard’s vet replacement on the roster too. It really depends on the plan - if it’s Coleman/Ingram or keep Howard then you probably need them locked in before letting Howard go but if the plan is for a bridge guy and a round 3 rookie then you may be able to move sooner on Howard because the likelihood you can get a viable bridge guy is almost a certainty where getting the perverbial big fish is a more remote possibility unless you’re telling yourself you won’t be outbid under any circumstances. Technically I guess it could happen during the “legal tampering” period (unrelated - I HATE that term). If we land Coleman it’s a relative foregone conclusion that Howard will eventually be let go IMO and because of that I don’t think at that point anyone would give up anything other than MAYBE a conditional 7th. 

At least we’ll finally get some answers this week. Then we can move on to the part where we scrutinize everything that happens or doesn’t happen to the Nth degree. 

The fun part.  Arm chair GMs one and all.  LOL

One other comment I'll make is that we don't actually need to be in a rush to trade Howard no matter what we do.  Any FA signings will end up pushing other lower cap hits out of the top 51 and we only need to be under the cap on the first day of the new league year.  The next cap deadline will be in Sept. when all 53 active contracts will count.  In between we'll be over that cap with 90 players on the roster.

So Pace may wait 'til the draft to see if he can swap him for a pick he wants or he takes a lower pick coupled with a swap of our 3rd or 4th for a higher pick in those rounds.  Or we could carry Howard into OTAs and Camp where his value may increase due to injuries or a failed pick.  I'm just gonna trust that Pace has a good idea now of what's Howard's value is and how he can maximize that to his advantage.

That said I do believe that it's probably 80/20 he will be traded some time this offseason.

43 minutes ago, soulman said:

Or we could carry Howard into OTAs and Camp where his value may increase due to injuries or a failed pick.  I'm just gonna trust that Pace has a good idea now of what's Howard's value is and how he can maximize that to his advantage.

I think if he’s not traded in the next few days that we will almost have to wait until TC to see if we can trade him. I don’t see a draft day trade as something likely given the logjam of seemingly viable backs likely available in the draft in rounds 3+. Those potential trade partners that supposedly exist are going to fill their immediate needs with available FA pretty quickly. My strong preference if we are able to move him at all in a trade is for a 2019 pick. I’d personally take a 2019 7th over a 2020 pick anywhere after round 4. 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think if he’s not traded in the next few days that we will almost have to wait until TC to see if we can trade him. I don’t see a draft day trade as something likely given the logjam of seemingly viable backs likely available in the draft in rounds 3+. Those potential trade partners that supposedly exist are going to fill their immediate needs with available FA pretty quickly. My strong preference if we are able to move him at all in a trade is for a 2019 pick. I’d personally take a 2019 7th over a 2020 pick anywhere after round 4. 

Well.....we lack a 6th so how 'bout a 6th and a swap of our 3rd round pick to a higher spot or even the 4th round swap?

I could be way off base but Pace does like moving around when he sees a player he wants.  At that point if his guy is there maybe he takes a lower pick paired with the swap even if it's another 7th.  Then maybe he takes a PK or a Punter in seven as a value pick.

I'm looking at parlays as well that might equal in point value what a straight out pick would be worth.  We're beginning to see more of this as team try to move up in middle round as well.  Some say any draft is only 150 picks deep.  After that it's a crap shoot of BPA and swing for the fence picks.  If that's true it pays to get as many picks in that top 150 as you can so you can get the guys on your board at positions you need to fill.

25 minutes ago, soulman said:

Well.....we lack a 6th so how 'bout a 6th and a swap of our 3rd round pick to a higher spot or even the 4th round swap?

I could be way off base but Pace does like moving around when he sees a player he wants.  At that point if his guy is there maybe he takes a lower pick paired with the swap even if it's another 7th.  Then maybe he takes a PK or a Punter in seven as a value pick.

I'm looking at parlays as well that might equal in point value what a straight out pick would be worth.  We're beginning to see more of this as team try to move up in middle round as well.  Some say any draft is only 150 picks deep.  After that it's a crap shoot of BPA and swing for the fence picks.  If that's true it pays to get as many picks in that top 150 as you can so you can get the guys on your board at positions you need to fill.

I don’t doubt that Pace would look to move him during the draft. I doubt that he’d be able to find a taker there that would give him a 2019 pick. But I think less of Howard than you do as a player, so that we differ on his viability as a trade piece on draft weekend isn’t exactly surprising. 

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t doubt that Pace would look to move him during the draft. I doubt that he’d be able to find a taker there that would give him a 2019 pick. But I think less of Howard than you do as a player, so that we differ on his viability as a trade piece on draft weekend isn’t exactly surprising. 

Yeah, but when you shop you shop.  A team in need of a RB with his size and scoring ability for $2.1 mil is a fair bargain when you look at the $2.8 mil Carlos Hyde just got with far less production.  It only matters what someone else is willing to give up for him.  We don't count. xD

Archived