Ahmad Brooks visiting Packers

MacReady

They do tend to try and bring in just about anyone in a situation similar to Brooks, the difference is the Packers don't talk money until after they meet so a lot of players don't make the trip. Thompson does his due diligence on exploring options, but the players aren't usually as interested when other teams are willing to put an offer on the table before the visit. Brooks is obviously looking for a ring, so he's willing to hear the Packers out without an offer pending already.

17 minutes ago, spilltray said:

They do tend to try and bring in just about anyone in a situation similar to Brooks, the difference is the Packers don't talk money until after they meet so a lot of players don't make the trip. Thompson does his due diligence on exploring options, but the players aren't usually as interested when other teams are willing to put an offer on the table before the visit. Brooks is obviously looking for a ring, so he's willing to hear the Packers out without an offer pending already.

Why do you think we're less likely to discuss dollars right away like others?

6 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

It's been reported before. The Packers generally don't make offers without the meet. They feel they want that face to face. Medical? Personal evaluation? Probably many different reasons why, but we've heard a few times over X player wasn't interested in coming in because they already had offers from other teams and GB wouldn't make an advance offer.

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Because its not in the Packers' best interest. The Packers Ace card is bringing them to Lambeau so they can see the football tradition and Trophies

And see what the real city is about. IF the Packers get into a bidding war on the phone, they will most often lose because of the relative un-attractiveness of the area to players who grew up in Texas, Florida, CA.

TT and MM want then to come and see GB because it always shines better in person than the erroneous perceptions they've been fed. That's why GB will talk general parameters, but no offer until the players are willing to take the (2) flights it requires to get to GRB

If they are serious, they come. If they just want a blockbuster offer, other teams are happy to oblige.

The Packers know how to play their hand and they do it well

Just now, spilltray said:

It's been reported before. The Packers generally don't make offers without the meet. They feel they want that face to face. Medical? Personal evaluation? Probably many different reasons why, but we've heard a few times over X player wasn't interested in coming in because they already had offers from other teams and GB wouldn't make an advance offer.

Yeah. I get the feeling personal has as much to do with it as anything. Anything from scouting reports is ancient at this point on him. You wanna see meds but you could talk money then go hey the docs didn't like what they saw as that jazz I imagine.

I agree we do it..I was curious on everyone's lean towards why..

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:
14 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Because its not in the Packers' best interest. The Packers Ace card is bringing them to Lambeau so they can see the football tradition and Trophies

And see what the real city is about. IF the Packers get into a bidding war on the phone, they will most often lose because of the relative un-attractiveness of the area to players who grew up in Texas, Florida, CA.

TT and MM want then to come and see GB because it always shines better in person than the erroneous perceptions they've been fed. That's why GB will talk general parameters, but no offer until the players are willing to take the (2) flights it requires to get to GRB

If they are serious, they come. If they just want a blockbuster offer, other teams are happy to oblige.

The Packers know how to play their hand and they do it well

It's really not in any teams best interest to offer a contract sight unseen but some teams are just ran by idiots so it happens anyway. It's a part of why a lot of big ticket free agents don't turn out. 

4 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

It's really not in any teams best interest to offer a contract sight unseen but some teams are just ran by idiots so it happens anyway. It's a part of why a lot of big ticket free agents don't turn out. 

Desperate acts more or less versus Ted being opportunist and stuff.

Did nobody post about Ragland today or I missed it

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Desperate acts more or less versus Ted being opportunist and stuff.

Did nobody post about Ragland today or I missed it

it's somewhere in the defense thread.  It's probably more than I'd want to pay personally.

49 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

it's somewhere in the defense thread.  It's probably more than I'd want to pay personally.

I wouldn't have been mad. But I thought people would ask why we didn't. I guess Brooks talk has them satisfied lol

12 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Is there any news on how the visit went? Haven't heard anything since the news of the visit. I know how tight lipped TT probably nothing will come out unless we sign him or someone else does.

I think his visit is today .. maybe we will hear something this afternoon/evening.

9 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I wouldn't have been mad. But I thought people would ask why we didn't. I guess Brooks talk has them satisfied lol

Jake Ryan is the one that has me satisfied...at the ILB position.

I was only interested in Ragland if he was free and if he could somehow play some OLB and rush the passer.

Brooks is much better at OLB and at rushing the passer...and could be had without draft pick compensation.  Brooks>Elliot>Gilbert>Ragland>waterboy>bar chair>Fackrell

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

Wonder if the possible Brooks signing is an indication on the situation with Biegel?  If Biegel starts on PUP, he is out for at least 6 weeks, that would leave the OLB group really thin

I suspect it is the fragility of Nick and Clay that is the reason why we are bringing him in for a look-see.  Plus the fact he is a FA.  If he can help us I say sign him even with his baggage.

Archived