Who gets drafted higher/lower than expected?

SmittyBacall

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

A lot of mocks have Oliver a lot lower than what I would expect. You would think, after seeing Donald tear up the league, teams would be all over an explosive, short,  super productive DT prospect, but it seems many scouts struggle to adapt and can't get the idea of behemoth interior linemen out of their head.

This the problem though. He wasn't super productive. Not in the stats that the media sees as important. I'm a massive fan of Oliver and would take him at 4 if the big 3 are gone by the Raider's pick. But the knock on him is probably that the production hasn't been as consistent as you'd like from a top, top prospect.

I agree with you though. I think he should be mocked much higher.

15 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I think Chase Winovich is a darkhorse round 1 pick. He was highly productive, plays a high value position, is in football for the right reasons, and then tested better than expected. He seems like a nice low floor option

He did time well and is a nice 3rd round pick or later but I would never take him over any of these guys.

Nick Bosa Ohio State JR
Rashan Gary Michigan JR
Clelin Ferrell Clemson RS JR
Brian Burns Florida State JR
Montez Sweat Miss State
Zach Allen Boston College
Jaylon Ferguson La Tech
Charles Omenihu Texas
Anthony Nelson Iowa RS JR

Could argue not taking him over any of these guys either, and I do not even like Polite that much.  Maxx Crosby is taller and a better athlete than Winovich and he is not getting 1st round talk so Winovich should not either.  

Jachai Polite Florida JR
Ben Banogu TCU JR RS
Porter Gustin USC
Joe Jackson Miami FL JR
Maxx Crosby Eastern Michigan JR
Austin Bryant Clemson
Shareef Miller Penn State JR

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don't understand this at all.

He's not athletic and can only play on the right side. His tape didn't impress me but I guess others could be higher on him than me. I think people are just wowed by his size and I think he's overrated because of that.

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

He did time well and is a nice 3rd round pick or later but I would never take him over any of these guys.

Nick Bosa Ohio State JR
Rashan Gary Michigan JR
Clelin Ferrell Clemson RS JR
Montez Sweat Miss State
Zach Allen Boston College
Jaylon Ferguson La Tech
Charles Omenihu Texas
Anthony Nelson Iowa RS JR

Could argue not taking him over any of these guys either, and I do not even like Polite that much.  Maxx Crosby is taller and a better athlete than Winovich and he is not getting 1st round talk so Winovich should not either.  

Jachai Polite Florida JR
Ben Banogu TCU JR RS
Porter Gustin USC
Joe Jackson Miami FL JR
Austin Bryant Clemson

Looking at your list, I’d say after Sweat you could argue for Chase, If you wanted a 3-4 rush lb.

Allen, Omenihu, and Nelson are not  athletic enough to play off the los. Ferguson/Polite are buy you have character res flags.

10 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Looking at your list, I’d say after Sweat you could argue for Chase, If you wanted a 3-4 rush lb.

Allen, Omenihu, and Nelson are not  athletic enough to play off the los. Ferguson/Polite are buy you have character res flags.

I was looking at him as if he was a 4/3 DE.  True if you want more of a 3/4 OLB sure he could be a higher option but now sure Chase would do all that well as a true 3/4 OLB.  Give Hollins over Chase and same with Porter Gustin as a 3/4 OLB.  

Josh Allen Kentucky
Montez Sweat Miss State
Justin Hollins Oregon RS
Porter Gustin USC
Sutton Smith Northern Illinois RS JR
Andrew Van Ginkel Wisconsin RS
Ben Banogu TCU JR RS
Austin Bryant Clemson
Chase Winovich Michigan SR
Jalen Jelks Oregon RS

I would still take some these guys over Chase Winovich though, give me Sutton Smith all day over Winovich especially as a 3/4 OLB.  Polite not sure he has the athletic ability to be a 3/4 OLB in terms of speed but will see.  Crosby again is bigger and more athletic than Chase and Bryant could have 3/4 OLB potential, Miller and Jelks are debatable and same with Van Ginkel that is more of a close call.  And I would take Banogu over Chase as a 3/4 OLB or 4/3 DE.

The kid is a solid prospect, good motor, high character just not sure his ceiling is all that high.  Not to mention he played in a great blitz system at Michigan that isolates players to succeed at getting sacks, and played with some talented front seven players obviously.  Again fine player just not sure he is a 1st round talent which is what I referenced originally.  

4 hours ago, taylor made said:

He's not athletic and can only play on the right side. His tape didn't impress me but I guess others could be higher on him than me. I think people are just wowed by his size and I think he's overrated because of that.

4th Round though?? He is a projected 1st. Maybe end of 2nd at the absolute latest. 

4 hours ago, taylor made said:

Even if you don't like what you saw when evaluating him he still didn't test horribly and his tape looks good. There's nothing to suggest he couldn't be - at worst - a viable guard in a power running scheme. I don't see how he would make it to the 4th or 5th round unless a picture of him wearing a bong-mask surfaces on draft day. Even Orlando Brown, who tested horribly, was drafted in the third off of good tape.

7 hours ago, taylor made said:

What are you talking about? He's one of the best OG's I've evaluated at getting to the 2nd level and blocking linebackers. His movement skills are a strength, not a weakness. I don't even like Cody Ford, btw. He's raw and has inconsistent footwork, but he's way too talented to fall that far. Cody Ford's inconsistent nastiness is the real concern I have, but I'd be dumbfounded if he didn't go until the 4th round.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

What are you talking about? He's one of the best OG's I've evaluated at getting to the 2nd level and blocking linebackers. His movement skills are a strength, not a weakness. I don't even like Cody Ford, btw. He's raw and has inconsistent footwork, but he's way too talented to fall that far. Cody Ford's inconsistent nastiness is the real concern I have, but I'd be dumbfounded if he didn't go until the 4th round.

Let me rephrase that. He's about an average athlete and he tested like one at the combine. His average athletic ability won't overcome his height issues to play RT. So he's bound to G where G Chris Lindstrom and G Connor McGovern are superior prospects who should be drafted before him. If both those guys go in the second round like they should then Cody Ford could be in for a fall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 9:23 PM, taylor made said:

Let me rephrase that. He's about an average athlete and he tested like one at the combine. His average athletic ability won't overcome his height issues to play RT. So he's bound to G where G Chris Lindstrom and G Connor McGovern are superior prospects who should be drafted before him. If both those guys go in the second round like they should then Cody Ford could be in for a fall.

Yeah but offensive line versatility will push him above them. Teams like guys that can play tackle or guard. When injuries happen, gives you options. Thats why those guys always get drafted higher.

5 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Yeah but offensive line versatility will push him above them. Teams like guys that can play tackle or guard. When injuries happen, gives you options. Thats why those guys always get drafted higher.

Ford won't be able to play Tackle IMO

Archived