Banger Post Combine Mock Draft

Headbanger

So the combine is over, so I will try to do this as realistic as it gets, without trade scenarios, as usual.

Here we go...

ROUND 1  DeAndre Baker CB Georgia

Image result for deandre baker georgia jpg

When I was watching Georgia this past season, I was having an impression, that this guy was always around the ball. He might not be a prototype body type, but I think that he will be an improvement over Peters. I think that this guy is just what this defense needs, so we wouldn't have guys going ballistic on us, like many receivers did against Peters, exploiting him in man coverage and his discipline to execute his duty. To many bonehead penalties for my taste, so with Baker, I think we would get a better and more savvy player. Oh, BTW, he is a good tackler as well.

https://youtu.be/VZY29WBcg8c

ROUND 3a  Chase Winovich DE Michigan

Image result for chase winovich jpg

I just hope that this guy is going to be available at this spot. When I watched Michigan, he was one of the guys that were a focal point of the opposing defense. Just tremendous motor and will to get where he needs to go. His passion in the game, reminded me of Kevin Green. His hear style too. At the combine, he was excellent and showed sound fundamentals. I think that his status is going to rise, so I hope he is there for us at this spot.

https://youtu.be/TtMk8KU7hyI

ROUND 3b    Trayveon Williams RB Texas A&M

Image result for trayveon williams texas a&m jpg

Like Winovich, I hope he's there for us, because he could be a similar change of pace back, that Anderson was late in the season and playoffs. Gurley needs someone to carry the load with him, and I think this young man can do it for us. Was very productive at A&M and should make the opposing team worry about him as well in their game plan.

https://youtu.be/FZX5_8qJZWA

ROUND 4  Nate Herbig OG Stanford

Image result for nate herbig jpg

With Sullivan probably gone, we will need to find another smart guy that can play that center position. Herbig is a guard, with ability to play either side. If we don't figure out who will replace Sullivan, from our existing roster, I believe that Herbig can play center and be a good starter for our offense. Since Saffold is in question too, if he leaves, we will have a player that can fill that position instantly. He may even become starter his rookie year.

https://youtu.be/ZEDzuEUDlcM

ROUND 5   Ugochukwu Amady S Oregon

Image result for ugochukwu amadi jpg

All I need to say is, this guy is a play maker. Solid safety, with great fundamentals. Lombardy award winner. If we want a play maker on safety position, we have to draft him. Joyner might be gone, so if we want to be safe, we get this guy in fifth.

https://youtu.be/919FSmGrBlI

ROUND 6  Kendall Joseph LB Clemson 

Image result for kendall joseph jpg

We need depth at LB position, and this guy is a savvy player, who is quick to read and react at the snap. Was a solid player, with over two hundred tackles in his two seasons as a starter. Good value as a sixth  rounder.

https://youtu.be/sA7Ahzd-pYE

ROUND 7  Jacques Patrick RB FSU 

Image result for jacques patrick jpg

A low risk pick of a power back, that can provide some bowling ball type of effect between the tackles. Physical runner, that can get that dirty yardage on third and one, or two. No upside, but can be very good if utilized properly.

https://youtu.be/xX8rG1inxQU

So that would be it for now. I will probably do another one, just prior to the draft. Let me know what you think. Take care.

Good to see you again, Headbanger! Some picks I like; some picks I don't. On the negative side, I don't like Trayveon Williams. I think there are better backs available in that range and later. I'm not at all a fan of Herbig. Watch him against Notre Dame. Jerry Tillery ate his lunch. And I think Ugo Amadi is too soft to play safety for us. He's a pile-watcher who only tackles when he has no other choice. I love his movement skills, but the kid lacks physicality.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Good to see you again, Headbanger! Some picks I like; some picks I don't. On the negative side, I don't like Trayveon Williams. I think there are better backs available in that range and later. I'm not at all a fan of Herbig. Watch him against Notre Dame. Jerry Tillery ate his lunch. And I think Ugo Amadi is too soft to play safety for us. He's a pile-watcher who only tackles when he has no other choice. I love his movement skills, but the kid lacks physicality.

Thank you jrry, I've been busy so haven't had much time to write on the forum. Thank you for your insight as well, much appreciated. 

Yeah.  I'm not sold on taking two RB's in the slightest; I just don't think the team is going to write off Kelly that quickly to invest picks in two new guys.

I'm also a big fan of Winovich - which is why I had us making what would probably be perceived as a reach (I feel it's justified, but I was also adamant about not projecting us to trade back in the 1st just because it would be convenient to get a guy at "better value").  I'm just not convinced he's still there in the 3rd with the combine he just turned in.

Count me in also as a guy who is just not a Herbig fan.  I'm actually very confident he can't play center because his handwork is just a mess.  He doesn't latch on and basically tries to play E. Honda from Street Fighter but sumo-pummeling his assignment... and he doesn't even consistently land on the chest-plate when he does that.  But more to why I have no confidence in him as a center, the guy just seems to drift off and brain farts mid-play way too often.  Dude just reminds me way too much of Marshall Newhouse.

8 hours ago, The LBC said:

Yeah.  I'm not sold on taking two RB's in the slightest; I just don't think the team is going to write off Kelly that quickly to invest picks in two new guys.

I'm also a big fan of Winovich - which is why I had us making what would probably be perceived as a reach (I feel it's justified, but I was also adamant about not projecting us to trade back in the 1st just because it would be convenient to get a guy at "better value").  I'm just not convinced he's still there in the 3rd with the combine he just turned in.

Count me in also as a guy who is just not a Herbig fan.  I'm actually very confident he can't play center because his handwork is just a mess.  He doesn't latch on and basically tries to play E. Honda from Street Fighter but sumo-pummeling his assignment... and he doesn't even consistently land on the chest-plate when he does that.  But more to why I have no confidence in him as a center, the guy just seems to drift off and brain farts mid-play way too often.  Dude just reminds me way too much of Marshall Newhouse.

Thank,s LBC. I feel we need to try some backs out. Most of all, we need to threaten with elusive, as well as banger type of back, since we don't have a FB on our roster. On Herbig, I am sure he can play guard and center. He is not perfect, but can be someone who can replace either Sullivan, or Saffold. But I might be wrong. Take care.

Archived