You are on the Clock: 2.0

Alex

You are on the Clock 2.0  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Top receivers: DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Parris Campbell, and TJ Hockenson all are gone. Who do you pick?

• Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma. ( + speed, - ball skills)
    • Irv Smith Jr, TE, Alabama. (+ route running/blocking, - contested catches)
    • Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina. ( + YAC, - blocking/contested catches)
    • Noah Fant, TE, Iowa. ( + Athleticism, - blocking)
    • Kelvin Harmon, WR, NC State. (+ contested catches, - speed)
    • Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State. ( + athleticism, - ball skills)

29 minutes ago, jebrick said:

This is not BPA question.  you are saying what receiver to you like with ZERO context.  Fant is the BPA on this list.  There is no argument

Then pick Fant. Just wait, you guys will see. I'm actually going somewhere with the polls. 

21 hours ago, jebrick said:

Is this the 1st round?

I will say that Fant is the only 1st round talent on that list.  Of the WR I would jump at Deebo Samuel with the 2nd round pick.  I think he will be a star.

I am curious to hear your assessment.  He has tools, but I am not sold/sure that he is a bonafide first round talent. I respect your assessment, and I would like to hear your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I am curious to hear your assessment.  He has tools, but I am not sold/sure that he is a bonafide first round talent. I respect your assessment, and I would like to hear your thoughts.

Fant is like Vance McDonald in that he is an athletically gifted receiver.  His weakness is blocking but that can be taught.  He is the best route runner of the TEs in this draft.

so why Fant and not any of the others?  This WR class is absurdly deep.  I can get real quality players on day 3 so none of the WR are worth it.  So Irv Smith is the other TE.  he is a decent route runner but a body catcher.  He does not have the catch radius of Fant nor the speed.  So Fant is superior to Smith in most aspects.

As a side note, whomever thinks Paris Campbell is better than Deebo Samuel is nuts.  Campbell was considered a late 2nd to early 3rd round pick then he ran a good 40 at the combine.  Anyone who bases their picks on the 40 time in the combine is stupid.

19 hours ago, jebrick said:

Fant is like Vance McDonald in that he is an athletically gifted receiver.  His weakness is blocking but that can be taught.  He is the best route runner of the TEs in this draft.

How would you rate his hands? I am in early stages of watching, but Hockenson seems to stand out more from some games that I saw and even what I am looking at briefly.  Hockenson reminds me of Heath Miller in style and his game make-up/strengths. 

so why Fant and not any of the others?  This WR class is absurdly deep.  I can get real quality players on day 3 so none of the WR are worth it. 

I know you are not enamored with DK Metalf. He had a great Combine, but we know that having a great showing during the Underwear Olympics does not make for a great football player. He seems like a high character kid with tons of potential.  Some have been comparing him to former Lion Calvin Johnson, but he does not seem nearly as polished or game ready. He is a gym rat though and does seem to be a humble kid. I think he will work hard and if I had to pick between the two, I would go DK. Despite some of his holes, I would have to rate him higher than Fant at this point. Thoughts?

So Irv Smith is the other TE.  He is a decent route runner but a body catcher.  He does not have the catch radius of Fant nor the speed.  So Fant is superior to Smith in most aspects.

I will take your word as I know you study film year round, I don't have the time anymore. I have Smith rated higher. I got to see him in a lot of Bama games. He is definitely, not the prospect that OJ was, but I am surprised that he isn't ranked higher than Fant.  It is not always about your productivity or system, but how you can grow and your upside on the next level.

As a side note, whomever thinks Paris Campbell is better than Deebo Samuel is nuts.  Campbell was considered a late 2nd to early 3rd round pick then he ran a good 40 at the combine.  Anyone who bases their picks on the 40 time in the combine is stupid.

I would agree that Deebo is a higher rated and more polished than Campbell.

prospect. The Combine is great for exposure for players, but is very mis-leading to those leaning to evaluate players.  They think because you can lift weights, jump high, run fast, or do well in drills that have been practiced since the end of the season, that translates to being a top prospect. As I have always said, the draft is an art and not a science. Some of it is gut, being selected by the right team, being in the right situation, and being able to mature and grow.  I have always said it is like pretty women, you like who you like, but just because she looks good doesn't mean she makes a good wife.

Rarely do you really ever have the TRUE "Super Blue Chipper/Can't Miss Prospect."  There have been many players like Tim Couch, Tony Manderich, Tim Worley, Ryan Leaf, Ja Marcus Russell, etc, etc, etc,.Yet we also see rare all pro's like  AB and Tom Brady last until the sixth round. On paper Jerry Rice should never have been the GOAT at WR. He had good hands, character and a reputation of being a competitor and hard worker, yet the knock was so so speed, no after burner or next gear to get deep against NFL CB's, played against lesser competition, etc,.

How would you rate his hands? I am in early stages of watching, but Hockenson seems to stand out more from some games that I saw and even what I am looking at briefly.  Hockenson reminds me of Heath Miller in style and his game make-up/strengths. 

Hockenson is not under consideration for this poll.  I like him better than Fant but he is not a pick.

I know you are not enamored with DK Metalf. He had a great Combine, but we know that having a great showing during the Underwear Olympics does not make for a great football player. He seems like a high character kid with tons of potential.  Some have been comparing him to former Lion Calvin Johnson, but he does not seem nearly as polished or game ready. He is a gym rat though and does seem to be a humble kid. I think he will work hard and if I had to pick between the two, I would go DK. Despite some of his holes, I would have to rate him higher than Fant at this point. Thoughts?

DK Metcalf is also not a choice on this poll.  Given the players on the poll Fant is the best one

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Hockenson is not under consideration for this poll.  I like him better than Fant but he is not a pick.

DK Metcalf is also not a choice on this poll.  Given the players on the poll Fant is the best one

I realize. I was just trying to get a little of your expertise on some prospects. For the record, I did choose Deebo.

9 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I realize. I was just trying to get a little of your expertise on some prospects. For the record, I did choose Deebo.

I watch a lot of Iowa.  I had Hockenson rated way above Fant months ago when Hockenson was an after thought and the announcers were always drooling over the clearly inferior Fant.  Hockenson is definitely like Heath Miller, except he has better YAC.  Fant got the TDs, but was MIA too often in games.  Not a blocker.  But he's fast, athletic and can make the big plays sometimes.  Hockenson was by far my favorite player in college football this season.  

Archived