Most dominant player you've seen in a steeler uniform?

Steelers22

On 3/6/2019 at 1:28 PM, Steelers22 said:

With the AB trade quickly approaching, I was thinking about just how dominant he's been as a member of this organization.  I'm 29 years old so I haven't been watching forever but I don't think I've seen a more consistently dominant player on the Steelers than AB during his tenure.

My top 3:

1) AB--His consistency was what really amazed me.  Every week, regardless of opponent, he showed up.  It is really unfortunate how this whole saga has ended

2) James Harrison--When he was at his peak, almost nobody could stop him.  I was never a huge Harrison fan myself but he was an absolute monster

3) Polamalu--Probably my favorite Steeler of all time (Granted I'm a Steeler fan because I was obsessed with Kordell Stewart as a kid).  He certainly had his lapses but his consistent splash plays were pretty amazing to watch.

Honorable Mention: Ryan Shazier--My favorite Steeler during the past 5 years or so.  He was too aggressive for his own good at times but another player who always made splash plays.  I thought he was really fantastic.

Who were the most dominant Steeler players you've watched?

These 3 but flip the order.

Man, I had this whole big thing typed up and my phone messed up. So in short, the correct answer, regardless of how you feel about him right now, is Antonio Brown. I started watching in the early 90’s, and  he’s top 5 in all the NFL of the most dominant players I’ve ever seen play. 

On 3/6/2019 at 5:09 PM, Big Snack said:

Rod Woodson at his peak was insane. He had a strip sack in the end zone recovered for a td and a pick 6 to score 14 or our 17 points that game to beat the Kelly led bills. Think about that. Our cb outscored one of the best offenses in the league.

Yep, I remember that game vividly.  I was in the tractor on a Monday night, harvesting corn.  Had a little 6" tv in the tractor and I was watching that game.  Rod Woodson is my favorite athlete of all time, regardless of sport.  

So my answer is without a doubt Rod Woodson.  Best DB I ever saw play by a mile.  

Barry Foster was my favorite RB for a season.  1 and done.  What a shame.  Loved how he played.  

I still think that Aaron Smith was the best player on those great defenses when he was playing DE.  When he got hurt, the D fell apart.  When Big Snack got hurt, you didn't even notice.  If he'd been used to rush the passer more, he would be a HOFer in my book.  He had that much talent.  Just played a position you didn't notice.  

Carnell Lake was another one of the most underrated players ever.  Your SS plays CB when Woodson got hurt, and he makes the pro bowl and the D carried the team to a SB.  LB in college too from what I recall.  Loved that guy too.  That whole D back then was awesome, except for the corner opposite Woodson (Williams, Figures, both iffy).  Lake, Perry, Woodson, Greene, Lloyd, Steed, Chad Brown, Kirkland, etc.  I loved that era of Steelers football, if only they'd had Big Ben back then!

Polamalu in his prime was really dominant too.  

23 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Yep, I remember that game vividly.  I was in the tractor on a Monday night, harvesting corn.  Had a little 6" tv in the tractor and I was watching that game.  Rod Woodson is my favorite athlete of all time, regardless of sport.  

So my answer is without a doubt Rod Woodson.  Best DB I ever saw play by a mile.  

Barry Foster was my favorite RB for a season.  1 and done.  What a shame.  Loved how he played.  

I still think that Aaron Smith was the best player on those great defenses when he was playing DE.  When he got hurt, the D fell apart.  When Big Snack got hurt, you didn't even notice.  If he'd been used to rush the passer more, he would be a HOFer in my book.  He had that much talent.  Just played a position you didn't notice.  

Carnell Lake was another one of the most underrated players ever.  Your SS plays CB when Woodson got hurt, and he makes the pro bowl and the D carried the team to a SB.  LB in college too from what I recall.  Loved that guy too.  That whole D back then was awesome, except for the corner opposite Woodson (Williams, Figures, both iffy).  Lake, Perry, Woodson, Greene, Lloyd, Steed, Chad Brown, Kirkland, etc.  I loved that era of Steelers football, if only they'd had Big Ben back then!

Polamalu in his prime was really dominant too.  

or if the traded for Montana , but the braintrust thought they were set with o'donnell 9_9

You wanna know why the defense has sucked for the past five seasons. Troy

On 3/12/2019 at 7:00 PM, Money said:

You wanna know why the defense has sucked for the past five seasons. Troy

The D and O were both top 10, if not top 5, before Shazier went down.  Then it all fell apart.  So no, it hasn't sucked for 5 years.  For that matter, even last year it didn't "suck". 

In 2018, they were #17 in scoring, #6 in yards, #10 in passing yards and #6 in rush yards.  That's average, not sucking.  Of course I thought it kinda sucked too since I use Cowher's defenses as a measuring stick, but technically average is not sucking.  

In 2017, they were #5 in yards, #5 in passing yards, #23 in rushing yards, and #7 in scoring.  DEFINITELY not sucking.  They were top 3-5 before Shazier got hurt.....definitely top 5, in both O and D, before Shazier got hurt.  He masked holes the same way Polamalu did.

In 2016, there were #12 in yards, #16 in passing yards, #13 in rushing yards, and #10 in scoring.  Again, not sucking.  Not great, but it's top 10 anyway.  Respectable when you had the Killer Bee's all going.  

So no, they didn't suck even the last 3 years, let alone the last 5.

So with that said, I nominate Ryan Shazier when he was just coming into his prime prior to his neck injury.  He had as dominant of a game as any LB I can recall.  Lots of splash plays.  He was everywhere.  He was the LB version of Troy Polamalu.  I'm serious too....I loved Ryan Shazier.  Definitely the best player on the defense.  

I said it but never talked about it: Ike Taylor.

Ike might have had bricks for hands and bit on the double moves, but he was one of the best CB's against the run.  Played man, zone, off, press and it never phased him.  For years he took the #1 WR and regularly shut them out.  The only reason he isn't known as a great corner is the lack of the INT's.

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I said it but never talked about it: Ike Taylor.

Ike might have had bricks for hands and bit on the double moves, but he was one of the best CB's against the run.  Played man, zone, off, press and it never phased him.  For years he took the #1 WR and regularly shut them out.  The only reason he isn't known as a great corner is the lack of the INT's.

Ike was solid.  He was nothing compared to Woodson though.

19 hours ago, warfelg said:

I don't remember watching Woodson though. He played for the Steelers from when I was 3-12.

Well imagine the best attribute of any DB you've ever seen, and put them into 1 player.  That is Rod Woodson.  He could blitz, he could cover, he could pick off the pass, he could tackle like a linebacker, he could return punts at an all-pro level, he was like a punt returner after the INT, and he was also an olympic class hurdler.  He played S in college, and then moved to CB in the NFL.  Then he moved back to S late in his career.  He basically had all the best attributes of a SS and a CB all in one.  He was big for his era too, at 6' 205.  That's probably like being 6'3" 220 nowadays.  

I called him God Woodson.  I even cheered for the Ratbirds to win a SB, just so he'd get a ring, even though it made me sick seeing Slasher Boy Lewis get a ring shortly after murdering someone.  

Archived