Collins was released!

buno67

3 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Collins has all the talent in the world, he just doesn't love football. I think that's why at times he gets burned, and why he never lived up to the potential everyone knows he has. Money was obviously why he was cut, but Dorsey and co. want a team filled with dudes who live the game of football. Collins was the one dude defensively that I could pinpoint every Sunday that plays the game because of the business and not out of love. Baker, Garrett, Peppers, Larry, Ward, Schobert, Randall, Chubb, Landry, etc. all breathe football. 

Yep

4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

50 million but with a bunch of guys off contract. 

Ogbah, higgins, schobert, randall. 

We want roll over cap going into the year we resign garrett, njoku, larry, peppers so we can we front load as much as possible.we need to start saving.

Of those bunch of guys only Damarious Randall and Joe Schobert should be in the long term plans. Randall's new deal won't increase his cap number much higher than his current 9+ million as only 5 safeties on long term deals make more than 9 million right now. Joe Schobert has some more to prove before he gets a 50 million dollar contract IMO. If his play doesn't improve then his contract shouldn't be an account buster. If he remains at his current level but his wants James Collins money then I say we move on. That one is still up in the air a bit.

Cut
Darren Fells saves 4,000,000
T.J. Carrie saves 6,350,000
Christian Kirksey saves 7,550,000
Chris Smith saves 3,750,000

Trade
Duke Johnson saves 4,850,000

Restructure
Joel Bitonio already has ZERO bonus left in his contact. We can convert a good amount of salary over to bonus and gain cap space.

That is 26.5 million dollars ins savings available to us right there for 5 easily replaceble players. There is also the added possibilities of Bitonio restructure and maybe others as well. If Kevin Zeitler is traded that is another 12.4 million in savings.

Bottom line is there is no need to Browns fans to be sweating money yet.

5 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Bro I don't know where you get your information and I don't fully know how the roll over stuff works but I do know some pretty solid facts that say you are worried about nothing.

1). We have just a shade over 133.5 million committed to the cap for 2020

2). Even if the cap doesn't go up a single penny for 2020 from 2019 then the official hard cap without any roll over is 188.2 million.

3). I am no math genius, so we might need to bring in @mistakey to confirm, but I am fairly certain that leaves us with a shade under 54.7 million we still have available toward 2020 cap space. 

Basically with the cap going up over 10 million ever year and contracts like Carrie, Chris Smith, Kirkso and Zeitler with easy outs should they not perform starting in 2020 as well as potentially the loss of Duke Johnson's 4,850,000 cap number I think the Browns will be fine. We could add 2 mega contracts and still be fine IMO.

I was talking 2019 cap space.  It is obviously different for 2020.  But we are going to have to resign guys.

We are adding more contracts in the first round in the draft.  And getting closer to the very high 5th year options on core players.

I'm not saying anything is impossible I'm saying irresponsibly spending doesn't often help teams as much as you would think...especially when we can't resign our guys because of big contracts down the road

Per CBA rules, I believe a team has to use 80% of current Carryover cash to be able to carryover to the following year. As to why the Browns made the trade with Houston for a 2nd Rd draft pick and Osweiler and resigning Bitonio with 95% of his bonus in year 1. Making the trades last offseason for large contracts early or with easy outs after 2 years so It made it so they could manipulate money in their favor. Landrys contract was guaranteed $34 mil for 2 years, after that....his contract is easily moveable or able to be restructured for under $4.5 mil or less after this year. The Browns will need to spend $35-$40 mil with bonuses this year to manipulate it to next year like they did last year. Depodesta is a genius at this, and I don't see the Browns having any cap issues for the next 5 - 7 years with the amount that is in their pockets now, and how they can manipulate the numbers with bonuses.

1 minute ago, dawgpound1816 said:

Per CBA rules, I believe a team has to use 80% of current Carryover cash to be able to carryover to the following year. As to why the Browns made the trade with Houston for a 2nd Rd draft pick and Osweiler and resigning Bitonio with 95% of his bonus in year 1. Making the trades last offseason for large contracts early or with easy outs after 2 years so It made it so they could manipulate money in their favor. Landrys contract was guaranteed $34 mil for 2 years, after that....his contract is easily moveable or able to be restructured for under $4.5 mil or less after this year. The Browns will need to spend $35-$40 mil with bonuses this year to manipulate it to next year like they did last year. Depodesta is a genius at this, and I don't see the Browns having any cap issues for the next 5 - 7 years with the amount that is in their pockets now, and how they can manipulate the numbers with bonuses.

I thought we would of eaten a lot of our bonus money with exemptions by now, like randall or schobert. 

Randall will make $9mil this year, and if they want him for down the road....they can use that Carryover and give him a hefty bonus like Landry so after 2 years.....it won't affect the cap in a negative way....or mad dead money. Carryover is use it or lose it within a 2 year period. But you can manipulate it to your pocket with hefty 1st year bonuses.

Archived