MOCK Post combine-pre FA

squire12

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like it except for the RB.  I think instead of drafting two guards, we can pick up a late RB for cheaper.  Jones and Williams are good backs that should flourish in the Shanahan style offense.

Agreed and I'd like Breeland back as well. I think grabbing someone like a Justice Hill would do wonders for this offense. I was huge on him before the combine due to his explosiveness and his field vision, but I think he can be more than just a RB as well. I bet we could stick him in the slot and use 44 on Irv Smith Jr. if he's still there. We will need to go TE earlier than what is here in the mock. 

22 minutes ago, Joe said:

Agreed and I'd like Breeland back as well. I think grabbing someone like a Justice Hill would do wonders for this offense. I was huge on him before the combine due to his explosiveness and his field vision, but I think he can be more than just a RB as well. I bet we could stick him in the slot and use 44 on Irv Smith Jr. if he's still there. We will need to go TE earlier than what is here in the mock. 

Fair take on Hill.  I like him as well.  Thought that Ware would be a cheap option that could come in and fiil the needs in all phases and let the draft pick be used at other spots.

I get the desire for Irv Smith, just feel the value is better at other positions and Warring has some potential and upside that might be superior to Smiths

Nice effort and very complete.  I think we would contend next year with this scenario.  Not 100% on board, but would only make two changes to get on board.  I would say no to paying $8M for a journeyman Guard.  I think getting McGovern and what we have on roster is enough to fill that gap.  Would like to see Breeland back also; familiarity is tough to pass on. 

Love the first four rounds of the draft though.  Nothing against the last three either, but that is such a shot in the dark.

TE Warring is a gem in that round.  He would be talked up more if he didn't go to SDSU.  It allowed you to get better value than pressing a TE choice earlier.  Hock, Fant and Smith will all be overdrafted.

M

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

I think Pettine is willing and capable of using the front 7 based on what he has on hand.  Do you have a specific TE in FA that you would pursue?

Jesse James, Maxx Williams, Clive Walford, Jared Cook, and if his past injuries are better....Geoff Swaim (he lives across the highway from me)

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

Nice effort and very complete.  I think we would contend next year with this scenario.  Not 100% on board, but would only make two changes to get on board.  I would say no to paying $8M for a journeyman Guard.  I think getting McGovern and what we have on roster is enough to fill that gap.  Would like to see Breeland back also; familiarity is tough to pass on. 

Love the first four rounds of the draft though.  Nothing against the last three either, but that is such a shot in the dark.

TE Warring is a gem in that round.  He would be talked up more if he didn't go to SDSU.  It allowed you to get better value than pressing a TE choice earlier.  Hock, Fant and Smith will all be overdrafted.

If GB knew what players they would be able to draft, that would greatly help them in deciding FA acquisitions.  FA first to fill some holes/gaps and appropriate cost/value perspective and then move onto the draft to fill additional hols/gaps and provide reinforcements based on the value that players present at the time of the pick.  

1 hour ago, Hands said:

M

Jesse James, Maxx Williams, Clive Walford, Jared Cook, and if his past injuries are better....Geoff Swaim (he lives across the highway from me)

I can see Cook, but I am not sure he would be willing after the events surrounding his departure from GB last go round.  James is a possibility as well.  Williams and Walford have not done enough in their NFL careers to be viewed as a gain at the TE spot IMO.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I can see Cook, but I am not sure he would be willing after the events surrounding his departure from GB last go round.  James is a possibility as well.  Williams and Walford have not done enough in their NFL careers to be viewed as a gain at the TE spot IMO.

Cook is going to be way too expensive given what we've already got invested into Graham.  If we're singing a UFA TE I'd expect him to be cheaper.  

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Cook is going to be way too expensive given what we've already got invested into Graham.  If we're singing a UFA TE I'd expect him to be cheaper.  

I agree, that is why I did not sign him in this mock.  I was responding to someone that wanted a veteran FA and I am not sure there is one that will be of quality for cheap.  Those 2 things often are opposed to each other.

Archived