Ravens re-sign TE Nick Boyle for 3 years

DreamKid

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Joe Hortiz seemed incredibly comfortable with our line and only referenced a routine later round addition in terms of our picks. I think this is Yanda's last year too. When he's gone our interior could look pretty scary, especially for Lamar.

not sure if i agree with that after Romans presser:

@jeffzrebiec
3m3 minutes ago
More
Roman on building offense around Jackson: "We have to have a strong powerful offensive line. That's where it all starts - domination up front. I don't care what [running] back you get. If there's no space to run, he's going to be fighting an uphill battle."

strong and powerful is not the first thing that comes to mind when i think of Matt Skura xD

2 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

strong and powerful is not the first thing that comes to mind when i think of Matt Skura xD

Believe me, I hope Roman convinces them to plant some true pigs up front. I gotta think Hortiz has more influence though, and after listening to him I would be foolish to bet on an offensive lineman early. It really sounds like they want to just do the usual and add an OL in the 4th-6th round range. 

Hey... he's still cheaper than Jack Doyle.

This is an interesting move that I didn't see see coming; I figured he'd get this much money, but with a different team. No doubt he's a good player. Blocking obviously, but he also does a good job with the targets he gets. 

I figure the Ravens were pressing for 3/5 per, and Boyle knew he'd beat that in FA. Then the FO decided that piece in the offense was too important to lose over 3M over 3 years.

At least we know we can avoid watching TE prospects in the draft.

Edited by wackywabbit

Watched the presser. Like we all assumed, it seems like the offense is going to flow through our Tight Ends. Harbaugh called the group the best in the league, and talked about how difficult it is for defenses to defend against them. Hopefully that sentiment holds true and we see them truly unleashed this season.

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Nick Boyle is a 3rd string blocking TE making insane money right now lol like I understand his blocking is important, but goodness this is a ridiculous contract.

Insane money is relative. JuiceCheck got over 5M per year when the cap was $20M per year lower than it is now.

Also he played 55% of our snaps last year so 3rd string isn't really the right label.

Our 3rd TE may be our 3rd best receiver too, lol.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

Just now, wackywabbit said:

Insane money is relative. JuiceCheck got over 5M per year when the cap was $20M per year lower than it is now.

Yeah but we weren't the team paying Kyle that amount of insane money. Boyle right now is AT BEST our 3rd TE. That's insane money no matter how you spin this, and kind of indicates the team doesn't feel they can find a blocking TE in the NFL or college as good as Boyle (which I find very hard to believe).

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah but we weren't the team paying Kyle that amount of insane money. Boyle right now is AT BEST our 3rd TE. That's insane money no matter how you spin this, and kind of indicates the team doesn't feel they can find a blocking TE in the NFL or college as good as Boyle (which I find very hard to believe).

>3rd string

>Plays more snaps than any other TE on team

Doesn't compute. Andrews is a TE in name only. Never blocks.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 2

Just now, M.10.E said:

>3rd string

>Plays more snaps than any other TE on team

Doesn't compute.

Alright fine Nick Boyle is our starting TE. That's kinda sad considering we dumped 2 high picks into the position last year. But I guess since those guys can't block we'll be getting rid of them in 2 years for more blocking TE's now?

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Alright fine Nick Boyle is our starting TE. That's kinda sad considering we dumped 2 high picks into the position last year. But I guess since those guys can't block we'll be getting rid of them in 2 years for more blocking TE's now?

Dude it's a 3 year deal with 10 million guaranteed while we have two second year tight ends on rookie contracts. Relax 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, M.10.E said:

Dude it's a 3 year deal with 10 million guaranteed while we have two second year tight ends on rookie contracts. Relax 

It's just a terrible deal no matter how you slice it. The only saving grace is that we're pretty good with cap space now that we don't have a huge money QB on the roster.