rcon14 Mock 2.0

rcon14

The combine narrows down the list of players on both my and GB's big board pretty substantially. For the purpose of this mock, I will only be selecting players that have not eliminated themselves from GB's typical criteria. That means players may be selected if they haven't run a 3C or shuttle if it is expected for them to perform well in it. For the purposes of FA, similar guidelines are followed.

Released:
CB/S Tramon Williams - 4.75M created
EDGE Nick Perry - June 1st designation

RFA/ERFA/UFA:
WR Geronimo Allison-2nd round tender-3.09M
S Kentrell Brice-not tendered
All ERFA's retained
CB Bashaud Breeland- 3/15

I have GB at about 30.1M in cap space now. Someone please correct me if this number is incorrect. NOTE: Due to June 1st designation, GB will be getting what appears to be 10.7M in additional cap room once June rolls around.

FA:

EDGE Anthony Barr (4/52)
220px-Anthony_Barr_%28American_football%
I've been on this train for months now. Barr has long been an EDGE miscast as an OBLB. I've walked through this in my last mock and other threads but the guy is an absolute athletic freak. He has elite agility and twitch scores and the fact we should be able to get him at a discount because he hasn't been playing his natural position makes this a no-brainer to me.

S Eric Weddle (2/10)
weddle-eric-03052019-getty-ftrjpg_1fcs1k
I was a bit surprised that Weddle was let go. He's been a very good to great safety for pretty much his entire career. The safety market is extremely saturated this year, so find at least one competent safety in FA makes sense to me. Weddle clears what GB tends to look for in safeties (even it was over a decade ago).

OG Quinton Spain (3/12)
quintonspain.png?w=700
This does break threshold a little bit. Spain clears the 10-split and the shuttle, but is slow in the 3C (7.88 vs threshold of 7.7). However, he did work under MLF in TEN and GB has been looser with thresholds in FA OG acquisitions than in the draft room. Comes in to play RG right away.

2019 NFL DRAFT:

The following players go before #12:
Kyler Murray, Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Josh Allen, DK Metcalf, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, Ed Oliver, Andre Dillard, Devin White, Greedy Williams

12. EDGE Brian Burns-Florida State
8972885.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Burns clears the thresholds GB has for EDGE guys. A bursty and bendy EDGE with great production. He is undersized, but I value pass rushing signficiantly more than run-fit at EDGE (and frankly at every position). We'll see if he runs a shuttle at his pro-day, that might cement him here for me.

TRADE: Jacksonville sees Daniel Jones falling, and wants to trade back into R1 to secure the valuable fifth-year option on a QB.
GB SENDS: 1.30 and 4.114
JAX SENDS: 2.38 and 3.69 (nice)

38: S Nasir Adderley-Delaware
fe44d18a-5819-428d-8062-936accdb9b63-UNH
His pro-day will be everything for him, but I see him as a true CF-type FS, which is super valuable. He'll play the true FS role freeing up Weddle to play the roving safety role.

44: WR Deebo Samuel-South Carolina
usa_today_9690018.0.jpg
I've long been down on adding a WR early on, but with just giving Allison the tender, and wanting to add more weapons in the offense, Samuel could fill the role that a younger Randall Cobb did. Samuel has been a riser in the post-season process, having a great bowl game and checking all the boxes GB looks for.

TRADE: GB trades down once again!
GB SENDS: 3.69
CLE SENDS: 3.80 and 4.119

75: EDGE/DL Anthony Nelson-Iowa
Anthony+Nelson+Marcus+Childers+Northern+
A strong producer who had concerns he would test poorly. Wow were we wrong. A sub-7 3-cone at his size (6'7'' 271) is crazy impressive. Some questions about whether he's a true EDGE or a 5T but I'm not sure it matters. He has the athleticism to play EDGE and the stoutness to play a little tighter. Provides depth to pass rush and diversification in pressure packages.

80: TE Kahale Warring-San Diego St.
DkqQ-HwU0AM-oSC.jpg
Large body who ran fairly well (4.67 40) and impressed in the explosive drills. Also posted strong shuttle times, especially for his size. I'm not going to lie to you and say that the next elite TE was snagged at pick 80, but he should be a competent part of the offense. He has shown good run blocking ability as well, which will fit well in the Shanahan offense.

118: IDL Khalen Saunders-Western Illinois
Khalen-Saunders-WIU-defensive-tackle-201
THICCCCCC dude. If you check out his mockdraftable radar you'll think he's a pretty bad athlete, but much to the contrary. When you account for the fact that he's built like a dang square (his mass score of 53.73 is one of the largest I've seen) he actually scores very well. I actually like our IDL position with Clark, Daniels, and Lancaster, but we know Daniels is likely nearing the end of his productive days, and adding more stout bodies to the defensive front will allow us to maximize high-leverage reps with Clark and Daniels.

119: OL Kaleb McGary-Washington
7627347.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Right now McGary is more athlete than football player. His scouting reports aren't particularly shiny, but he has a good amount of experience and is an impressive athlete. One downside are his short arms, which makes him an OG-only prospect. However, this is exactly the type of player that GB has had so much success with converting from OT to OG: Great athlete that has to bump inside. He'll be a backup OG in year 1 and may take over the LG job from Lane Taylor if he improves.

150: LB Blake Cashman-Minnesota
AP18321678036977.jpg?w=525
This deeply pains me, but Cashman is a great athlete and GB has largely tried to target athletic LBs. 6'1''/240 and can fly around the field with an elite 40 time, high-end explosion, and good agility scores. Worst case is he should be an impressive ST player, but best-case is he can fill a role GB has been searching for for a few years now.

185: DL/EDGE John Cominsky-Charleston
tthramkfet6ammswapep
Dominant small school player whose highlight tape looks like the 5* recruit playing other high schoolers. Killed it at the combine as well. Probably more of a 5T than an EDGE, but has the athleticism you could see in both. Just another great front player to utilize in several different roles, giving Pettine endless options.

194: RB Alex Barnes-Kansas State
IMG_090917ksu_charlotte__9_1_VAD2540S_L3
Productive runner who actually had some catches this past year. Passes all of GB's thresholds at RB and is pegged for day 3 at some point. Don't spend high draft capital on RBs when you can find competent ones here.

226: S Khari Willis-Michigan State
636405861212468131-SI-20170909-jla-bc2-2
Safety depth, checks the treshold boxes. Likely just a STer.

Post-draft FA
CB/S Tramon Williams-1/2.5

DEPTH CHART:
QB: Rodgers/Kizer/Boyle
RB: Jones/Williams/Barnes
FB: Vitale
WR: Adams/Allison/Samuel/MVS/ESB/Kumerow
TE: Graham/Warring/Tonyan
OT: Bahk/Bulaga/Spriggs
OG: Taylor/Spain/McGary/Siragusa
C: Linsley/Patrick

EDGE: Barr/Burns/Fackrell/Nelson/Brown
IDL: Clark/Daniels/Saunders/Lancaster
5T: Lowry/Cominsky
LB: Martinez/Cashman/Burks/Morrison
CB: Alexander/King/Breeland/Jackson/Brown
FS: Adderley/Williams
SS: Weddle/Jones/Willis

K: Crosby
P: Scott
LS: Bradley

Applause.

I like the slots at which you addressed positions. As the draft unfolds I am curious to see if Gutey and his scouts have found any OL gems hidden in the mix. There seems to be only a very few quality O linemen this year, and it would be easy to miss out on them in exchange for other positions you really like in the middle rounds.

Just now, blueswedeshoes said:

Applause.

I like the slots at which you addressed positions. As the draft unfolds I am curious to see if Gutey and his scouts have found any OL gems hidden in the mix. There seems to be only a very few quality O linemen this year, and it would be easy to miss out on them in exchange for other positions you really like in the middle rounds.

Yeah I think because of a general scarcity in OL this year, it could be tough. I expect GB to address OG in round 4/5 as they have traditionally. I don't think we'll see an OT drafted the more I look at it.

Love the players, can't help but think you're being very optimistic on every pick starting at Anthony Nelson. Not a fan of the multiple trade downs. I love trading down from 30 and think that's very realistic, but I have a good feeling about Gute navigating up a couple times, but this isn't my mock! I will say that if this is our off-season I would be extremely happy, so well done. 

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Love the players, can't help but think you're being very optimistic on every pick starting at Anthony Nelson. Not a fan of the multiple trade downs. I love trading down from 30 and think that's very realistic, but I have a good feeling about Gute navigating up a couple times, but this isn't my mock! I will say that if this is our off-season I would be extremely happy, so well done. 

Day 3 can be tough to nail down where guys are going to go, that's for sure. So far I've seen Nelson, Saunders, and Warring in round 3 or 4. Cominsky has largely been a 5-7, McGary has been as high as 3 in some, but usually 4-5.

7 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Day 3 can be tough to nail down where guys are going to go, that's for sure. So far I've seen Nelson, Saunders, and Warring in round 3 or 4. Cominsky has largely been a 5-7, McGary has been as high as 3 in some, but usually 4-5.

If I had to guess today, I would say all of Nelson, Saunders, Warring and McGary are gone by our 3rd, and Cominsky in that 3-4 range. But what do I know

5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

If I had to guess today, I would say all of Nelson, Saunders, Warring and McGary are gone by our 3rd, and Cominsky in that 3-4 range. But what do I know

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, especially after this past weekend.

Really like the draft. Not as high on Barr as you are though. I know athletically he checks all the boxes, I just don't see dominant edge rusher on his game tape. The contract numbers aren't bad though so its not a deal breaker for me. Overall, would not be upset with this offseason.

11 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Like the Free Agency and the draft a lot. My only complaint is that I'd like more of a blue chip TE prospect in waiting, but it's hard to get everything you want.

Does Weddle have to wait until next week to sign or is he available now?

He can sign right now.

I too wanted a better TE option, but there's just no way I could do it at 12 and by 30 I don't expect one to be there (Fant, Hock). I'm not in love with any of the other ones and with a plethora of rd 3-5 options (this class is super deep at TE), I think that's the more likely scenario, and frankly a better route to go.

Just now, Brit Pack said:

Love it. But want/demand another safety in FA. Even a ****ty one

I'm not sure why we'd need another safety on top of Weddle and Adderley. Tramon is competent if not good and Josh Jones is at least a body. You're not going to get anyone meaningfully better than those two to come in and be a backup.

Archived