Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
y2lamanaki

New Forum - New Random

RANDOMNESS AWAKENS  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. Which of the following options makes the best option for you to vote for?

    • The First One. Always go with The First One.
      0
    • Beer (duh)
    • Frank Gore
    • Can you repeat the question?
    • All of the above
      0
    • LET'S LET THE SHOE DECIDE
    • This all of the above. This is the better all of the above. It's more all of the abover.
  2. 2. Are you kidding me? TWO Random Polls?!?!

    • No I'm not kidding you.
    • No you're not kidding me.
    • Wait, in which point of view am I supposed to answer these?!


Recommended Posts

So I'm traveling out to SF for the 11/12 Monday night game against the Giants.  Need some advice/pointers:

  1. Going to be there for 5 days (Friday to Tuesday) since it's a Monday night game.  Staying in a hotel that long is going to be expensive, so I've been looking to AirBNB and VRBO.  I'm thinking we should stay in one of the following areas: PacHeights, Russian Hill, Nob Hill, SoMa, Mission, or Marina.  Any other locations you guys recommend?  Don't really have any plans yet other than the MNF game and possibly catching the Chargers/Raiders game on Sunday.
  2. What's the best way to get to Levi's from SF?  Caltrain? Shuttle? Uber? Other?  I'm leaning Caltrain...
  3. Besides the MNF and possible the Sunday Raiders game, don't really have any set plans.  Anything you guys recommend doing?  I've been to SF 4-5 times now, but this is going to be with a group of guys.  Not sure I want to talk them into a trip up to Napa...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@TheVillain112

You should look into the Union Square area as well. That is where my girlfriend's brother came and stayed when he visited and there is a lot going on there and its very walkable (no hills lol) 

I live on the peninsula closer to SFO and I always drive to Levis.. Caltrains to the VTA does seem like it would make some sense. The first year levis was open we talked about doing that, but the VTA always seemed packed leaving the game so we never bothered. Levis security takes roughly 25 minutes to get through FYI, so try to get there very early if you can. If you are on the east side of the stadium (on the opposite side from the boxes) then you WILL NEED A HAT AND SUNGLASSES. The sun is brutal, although it might be fine by halftime

As far as other activities in the city , it really depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

Dolores park on a sunny day in the city is always a good time. There are a lot of people sitting on the grass drinking beer etc. Very good views of the city, great place to have a picnic. El Techo (lolirita) is a place in the mission with iconic views of the city. amazing food, amazing drinks, pretty expensive and sometimes a little bit of a wait. If you get there right when they open again for dinner at 5ish though you can get in easily. Its pretty close to dolores park too that could be a good follow up on Saturday.. Dolores park around 12-1 then take a 5 min lyft to El Techo for an early ish dinner an cocktails.. did I mention they have really incredible drinks and the absolute best view of the city? 

If you are looking for a cheap place to try a lot of California beers that are hard to find, I recommend Toronado and/or Rosamundes. Rosamundes has super good sausages and $5-6 beer. They always always have Pliny the Elder on tap which is like a unicorn around here. 

There are a ton of good EDM shows in the city.. not sure if that's what you are into but this place is a house hotbed www.westcoastedm.com has every EDM show going on in the city arranged by date

If the weather is nice you can always go on a hike through Golden Gate Park. The natural history museum is excellent and is located in the park. My personal favorite park in the city is Buena Vista Park, but golden gate is bigger and there are more places to explore. 

I also recommend the Exploratorium, its similar to the Boston Science museum except its more interactive. Lots of cool things to play with. https://www.exploratorium.edu/ 

You could also go up to Coit tower for truly spectacular views of the bay.. 

 

If you give me an idea of what you want to do I could probably add to the list

 

Edited by N4L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so everyone knows to look in case they are into it, Webby is allowing name changes until the thirty first of this month. It is in the feedback forum thread. So if you are into that, now is your chance. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, N4L said:

@TheVillain112

You should look into the Union Square area as well. That is where my girlfriend's brother came and stayed when he visited and there is a lot going on there and its very walkable (no hills lol) 

I live on the peninsula closer to SFO and I always drive to Levis.. Caltrains to the VTA does seem like it would make some sense. The first year levis was open we talked about doing that, but the VTA always seemed packed leaving the game so we never bothered. Levis security takes roughly 25 minutes to get through FYI, so try to get there very early if you can. If you are on the east side of the stadium (on the opposite side from the boxes) then you WILL NEED A HAT AND SUNGLASSES. The sun is brutal, although it might be fine by halftime

As far as other activities in the city , it really depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

Dolores park on a sunny day in the city is always a good time. There are a lot of people sitting on the grass drinking beer etc. Very good views of the city, great place to have a picnic. El Techo (lolirita) is a place in the mission with iconic views of the city. amazing food, amazing drinks, pretty expensive and sometimes a little bit of a wait. If you get there right when they open again for dinner at 5ish though you can get in easily. Its pretty close to dolores park too that could be a good follow up on Saturday.. Dolores park around 12-1 then take a 5 min lyft to El Techo for an early ish dinner an cocktails.. did I mention they have really incredible drinks and the absolute best view of the city? 

If you are looking for a cheap place to try a lot of California beers that are hard to find, I recommend Toronado and/or Rosamundes. Rosamundes has super good sausages and $5-6 beer. They always always have Pliny the Elder on tap which is like a unicorn around here. 

There are a ton of good EDM shows in the city.. not sure if that's what you are into but this place is a house hotbed www.westcoastedm.com has every EDM show going on in the city arranged by date

If the weather is nice you can always go on a hike through Golden Gate Park. The natural history museum is excellent and is located in the park. My personal favorite park in the city is Buena Vista Park, but golden gate is bigger and there are more places to explore. 

I also recommend the Exploratorium, its similar to the Boston Science museum except its more interactive. Lots of cool things to play with. https://www.exploratorium.edu/ 

You could also go up to Coit tower for truly spectacular views of the bay.. 

 

If you give me an idea of what you want to do I could probably add to the list

 

Appreciate all the info!  I did had Union Square to the list, definitely easier than the walk up Nob Hill.  I've been able to find some decent deals on VRBO and Airbnb thankfully.  Hotels are way too expensive in SF.  Rosamundes we'll definitely have to check out.  Can't say no to Beers and sausages...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna really try and get into watching the film this season from OTAs. Been watching the vids posted up here, just wanna say thanks for that. 

Do any of you get NFL Gamepass? It has all the film breakdowns too right? Is it worth getting? I'm gonna try and hit the bar up again to watch games this year like I used to but want something in case I miss a game and can rewatch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

I'm gonna really try and get into watching the film this season from OTAs. Been watching the vids posted up here, just wanna say thanks for that. 

Do any of you get NFL Gamepass? It has all the film breakdowns too right? Is it worth getting? I'm gonna try and hit the bar up again to watch games this year like I used to but want something in case I miss a game and can rewatch it.

I love NFL Gamepass. I think it's worth it. Gives you a lot of great looks at plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was going to get Gamepass after moving, but went with NFL Sunday Ticket yet again since it was 1st year free with DTV. 

Gamepass seems like a very nice 2nd option, but not being able to watch live games would.. at least for another year.. be tougher to take. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Was going to get Gamepass after moving, but went with NFL Sunday Ticket yet again since it was 1st year free with DTV. 

Gamepass seems like a very nice 2nd option, but not being able to watch live games would.. at least for another year.. be tougher to take. 

I won't do directv so I'll hit the sports bar and have gamepass as a secondary option. I loved directv but it's not worth it to me to get it for the ticket. Also, they tried to screw me awhile ago and I'll never go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

I won't do directv so I'll hit the sports bar and have gamepass as a secondary option. I loved directv but it's not worth it to me to get it for the ticket. Also, they tried to screw me awhile ago and I'll never go back.

Used to do the sports bar things many years back. Wasn't cost effective for me. BY the time I leave, I'd spend 50 bucks or more on beer and food/snacks. Then, have to find alternative ways to get home. 

Could be that live streaming has improved these days, dunno. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some not so great news this week as it is starting to appear more and more that my little boy has some degree of autism :( Its still a little too early to tell as they won't do the formal test until 24 months and then do the actual diagnosis (about 3 months away), however based on the initial test at both 18 and 21 months, taken by each his mother and myself, he's very high risk (The initial test is basically just 20 yes / no questions, and you are given a point for each "negative" answer - anything over 8 points is considered very high risk, and our little man has scored 14 and 12).  He also met quite a few of the high risk pregnancy characteristics as well, and while Autism is a spectrum disorder showing quite a few different signs (it can be vastly different from child to child), he meets a whole lot of them.

We had considered this several months ago when we had him start an intervention program, but they wanted to check to make sure that he wasn't deaf (he's not), and that there weren't any other issues going on (there aren't). The focus with him appears to be communication and socializing, though he doesn't appear to have any mental issues with regards to intelligence or motor functions overall, so that's good. Thankfully, with Autism being a spectrum disorder it's very possible that he could be very high functioning and largely "normal", and since he doesn't appear to show issues with intelligence in a lot of ways, we are hoping the case will be mild,  but it will take a lot of work to get him there if he is in fact autistic and not severely delayed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 @Forge ... I know nothing about autism, aside from movies/show stuff, but it sure looks like a rough go. 

Truly, man. I am sending out my (probably useless) positive juju for your situation, and wish you and yours the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

 @Forge ... I know nothing about autism, aside from movies/show stuff, but it sure looks like a rough go. 

Truly, man. I am sending out my (probably useless) positive juju for your situation, and wish you and yours the best. 

Thanks man, truly appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forge said:

Got some not so great news this week as it is starting to appear more and more that my little boy has some degree of autism :( Its still a little too early to tell as they won't do the formal test until 24 months and then do the actual diagnosis (about 3 months away), however based on the initial test at both 18 and 21 months, taken by each his mother and myself, he's very high risk (The initial test is basically just 20 yes / no questions, and you are given a point for each "negative" answer - anything over 8 points is considered very high risk, and our little man has scored 14 and 12).  He also met quite a few of the high risk pregnancy characteristics as well, and while Autism is a spectrum disorder showing quite a few different signs (it can be vastly different from child to child), he meets a whole lot of them.

We had considered this several months ago when we had him start an intervention program, but they wanted to check to make sure that he wasn't deaf (he's not), and that there weren't any other issues going on (there aren't). The focus with him appears to be communication and socializing, though he doesn't appear to have any mental issues with regards to intelligence or motor functions overall, so that's good. Thankfully, with Autism being a spectrum disorder it's very possible that he could be very high functioning and largely "normal", and since he doesn't appear to show issues with intelligence in a lot of ways, we are hoping the case will be mild,  but it will take a lot of work to get him there if he is in fact autistic and not severely delayed. 

I have a lot of exposure to autism as my wife is a teacher who works with a lot of autistic children (they're always her favorites) and one of my best friends has a child on the spectrum and himself just received a late in life diagnosis. 

It will definitely be challenging, but I promise you- it will be such a rewarding relationship. The key is always patience and acceptance that your son will love you dearly, but will express it in his own unique way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I have a lot of exposure to autism as my wife is a teacher who works with a lot of autistic children (they're always her favorites) and one of my best friends has a child on the spectrum and himself just received a late in life diagnosis. 

It will definitely be challenging, but I promise you- it will be such a rewarding relationship. The key is always patience and acceptance that your son will love you dearly, but will express it in his own unique way. 

Thanks for the words, Y2. Greatly appreciated. It's definitely a daunting prospect, particularly given that I'm a first time parent...I have no idea what's going on even if everything were absolutely normal LOL. But honestly, he's the sweetest boy ever and he has shown no issues with showing me love and wanting to play with me and stuff like that. We definitely expect a challenge moving forward, but we are hopeful that with us both being on top of it, we can make the absolute best of the situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×