New Forum - New Random

y2lamanaki

RANDOMNESS AWAKENS  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following options makes the best option for you to vote for?

• The First One. Always go with The First One.
    • Beer (duh)
    • Frank Gore
    • Can you repeat the question?
    • All of the above
    • LET'S LET THE SHOE DECIDE
    • This all of the above. This is the better all of the above. It's more all of the abover.
  2. 2. Are you kidding me? TWO Random Polls?!?!

• No I'm not kidding you.
    • No you're not kidding me.
    • Wait, in which point of view am I supposed to answer these?!

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Possibly, but I don't think so. I already said teachers have reasons to complain, but they also have some really nice benefits. You can disagree with that, but I don't think that is off base.

Dude, it's very off base. That's what we're saying. Let's put this in perspective - everyone in this thread who is a teacher or who is extremely close to a teacher is telling you it is off base. The one person who has neither (yourself) is the only one saying it isn't. Think about that. 

You are only seeing a 180-day school year. You're not seeing all the extra days that teachers work. You're not seeing the 8-hour Sundays the teacher puts in for lesson planning for the week. You're not seeing the long nights grading papers and exams. You're not seeing the in-service days where children are off and teachers are working. You're not seeing the nightly hours put in for ongoing education teachers need to maintain their certifications so they can merely keep a job. You're not seeing the time the teachers are taking to go out and get supplies that they need to pay for out of their own pocket. You're not seeing the time the teachers need to put into after-school activities. 

You're also not seeing the daily wear and tear of a classroom. You're not seeing the out-of-control child because the parent has never taught them how they are supposed to act in a school setting. You're not seeing the teacher tell the parent about what happened that day and the parent siding with their child. You're not seeing the parent arguing with the teacher about the child's educational needs. You're not seeing the teacher arguing with parents to come get their obviously sick child because the parents need free childcare for the day. You're not seeing the parent argue with the teacher that their child doesn't need to be taken for evaluation despite clear signs that the child is on the autism spectrum. You're not the seeing the teacher come home with fresh bruises every day because a child who clearly needs special assistance beats the crap out of him/her because the child doesn't have the help they need. You're not the seeing the teacher struggle to get help from her school's administration for said child because the services they can provide are only offered at the next grade up. You're not seeing the teacher struggle to get help from the school district for said child because the district doesn't feel its worth their time. You're not seeing the teacher get threatened by a student who ripped a nail out of the wall and threatened to 'cut the teacher up.' You're not seeing the teacher get accused by that child of lifting him up by the throat in the middle of class. You're not seeing the parent blow that off as "just what the child does" and then later turn around and accuse the teacher of choking her child, causing a police investigation into the matter. You're not seeing the teacher get no help from the school in disciplining that child because the school knows the district has a policy to keep all children in the classroom rather than home. 

You're not seeing that the above paragraph is just the description of December 2019 for my wife, who works in a good school.

They don't have "really nice benefits" - they're underpaid, pay for their own supplies, overworked, and underappreciated. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Dude, it's very off base. That's what we're saying. Let's put this in perspective - everyone in this thread who is a teacher or who is extremely close to a teacher is telling you it is off base. The one person who has neither (yourself) is the only one saying it isn't. Think about that. 

You are only seeing a 180-day school year. You're not seeing all the extra days that teachers work. You're not seeing the 8-hour Sundays the teacher puts in for lesson planning for the week. You're not seeing the long nights grading papers and exams. You're not seeing the in-service days where children are off and teachers are working. You're not seeing the nightly hours put in for ongoing education teachers need to maintain their certifications so they can merely keep a job. You're not seeing the time the teachers are taking to go out and get supplies that they need to pay for out of their own pocket. You're not seeing the time the teachers need to put into after-school activities. 

You're also not seeing the daily wear and tear of a classroom. You're not seeing the out-of-control child because the parent has never taught them how they are supposed to act in a school setting. You're not seeing the teacher tell the parent about what happened that day and the parent siding with their child. You're not seeing the parent arguing with the teacher about the child's educational needs. You're not seeing the teacher arguing with parents to come get their obviously sick child because the parents need free childcare for the day. You're not seeing the parent argue with the teacher that their child doesn't need to be taken for evaluation despite clear signs that the child is on the autism spectrum. You're not the seeing the teacher come home with fresh bruises every day because a child who clearly needs special assistance beats the crap out of him/her because the child doesn't have the help they need. You're not the seeing the teacher struggle to get help from her school's administration for said child because the services they can provide are only offered at the next grade up. You're not seeing the teacher struggle to get help from the school district for said child because the district doesn't feel its worth their time. You're not seeing the teacher get threatened by a student who ripped a nail out of the wall and threatened to 'cut the teacher up.' You're not seeing the teacher get accused by that child of lifting him up by the throat in the middle of class. You're not seeing the parent blow that off as "just what the child does" and then later turn around and accuse the teacher of choking her child, causing a police investigation into the matter. You're not seeing the teacher get no help from the school in disciplining that child because the school knows the district has a policy to keep all children in the classroom rather than home. 

You're not seeing that the above paragraph is just the description of December 2019 for my wife, who works in a good school.

They don't have "really nice benefits" - they're underpaid, pay for their own supplies, overworked, and underappreciated. 

I don't know about your wife, y2 but when my wife was still full time, they pushed after school home visits. Where two teachers would go and visit a student and their parents. My wife hated it. It was just another extra thing to do on top of everything else. 

Heaven forbid if there is a "special needs" kid who is in a "regular" classroom gets recommended to be moved but the parents say no. All kids deserve equal attention and what not but when a special needs kid isn't moved because of their parents, it just causes more work for a teacher. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

The district I worked at had one high school. They had a no drop out policy till you are 18. Its great for the school because they get 99.9 graduation rate but can you imagine how teachers feel when they have those kids who really don't give a crap but they have to attend school just because of a rule?

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I didn't say teachers only work 180 days a year even though it is mandated for District's to have 180 instructional days. I'm not going to argue your points of what teachers go through. All valid points, especially the one about prepping for the week on the weekends. They have stress with the parents/kids! Again, all true.

However, about the benefits part? Totally disagree. "How would you know if you are not a teacher?" Well, our firm audits School Districts so I'm fully aware of the type of benefits they get and it is much better than other professions....Including mine, BY FAR. Government jobs as an whole are the best with the benefits. Then when you say underpaid? I could get with that, but overworked? Um, that is questionable but not something I'm going to argue. That is something a lot of non 8-5 professions will argue. The breaks though? That is hard to beat, regardless of them using some of it to prepare for the following school year. Most companies give 80 hour vacation for the entire year.

My girl was a teacher for about a decade, and was miserable every year doing it. The pay was crap, the parents and kids, crap; it was a dead end misery. 

At like age 40, she quit teaching. She went into med school, and is now a Dr. in residency. 

Just asked her, and she said that the benefits were actually good.. retirement plan.. days off.. good.

... but the pay and behind the scenes work was laughably miserable. She's a patient person, and not at all a greedy one... yet says that the return you got from all you put in was just not acceptable. She ran for the hills, and is so happy to be done with it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay okay, I made a mistake with my comments!!! Enough ganging up on me!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice @oldman9er, though residency is arguably the most disgusting workplace EVER. Lawd I feel bad for residents. It is terrible, but obviously totally worth it once you get past that stage.

She glumly nods her head, and says, "yeeeeaahhhh."

• 4 weeks later...

What are your guys super bowl plans this year? 

I normally go to a bar near me with one of my friends, get some wings and a few drinks. Keep it low key. 

This year i'm inviting about 15-20 people over to my place. Gona order pizza + wings, nothing special. Gota make a liquor run this weekend. While i'll be playing host, i still want to focus on the game. 

I don't have niners gear or memorabilia outside of one niners zip-up sweater, i'll probably wear that. But i wore that in our last SB and we lost to the Ravens...

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

I normally go to a bar near me with one of my friends, get some wings and a few drinks. Keep it low key. 

This year i'm inviting about 15-20 people over to my place. Gona order pizza + wings, nothing special. Gota make a liquor run this weekend. While i'll be playing host, i still want to focus on the game. 

I don't have niners gear or memorabilia outside of one niners zip-up sweater, i'll probably wear that. But i wore that in our last SB and we lost to the Ravens...

Probably will go at my brother's, as usual. So wings and pizza.

Last time I probably had my Andy Lee jersey? I got Chinese Jimmy G for this one.

I don't have any friends. I don't even know 15-20 people. 

I'm going to pack the fridge with beer, sit in my living room in front of the tv, and watch this game along-side my two dogs and one kitten.

They will look at me like I'm insane to react to this large flat screen thingy on the wall, and I will be having the time of my life in this sad pathetic capacity. No where else I'd rather be.. and no better company that I know. 

very-drunk.gif

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

That sounds horrible lol too many people 

When I'm not at the game, I can't watch with more than 1-2 people at the absolute most. Usually it's just me by myself lol 

I'm very torn on this one, because when I get my first ring I'm trying to go full Brian Wilson 

• Like 1