New Forum - New Random

y2lamanaki

RANDOMNESS AWAKENS  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following options makes the best option for you to vote for?

• The First One. Always go with The First One.
    • Beer (duh)
    • Frank Gore
    • Can you repeat the question?
    • All of the above
    • LET'S LET THE SHOE DECIDE
    • This all of the above. This is the better all of the above. It's more all of the abover.
  2. 2. Are you kidding me? TWO Random Polls?!?!

• No I'm not kidding you.
    • No you're not kidding me.
    • Wait, in which point of view am I supposed to answer these?!

On 10/12/2017 at 12:50 PM, Fureys49ers said:

Got a question for all fantasy players amongst us and seeing as it relates to two guys playing in the game we'll probably all be watching figured I'd ask here. 

Im trying to decide who my flex play should be this week in a PPR league between Hyde or Pryor. Thoughts?

ill tag @Forge cause I see him active in the fantasy thread a lot as as @steadypimpin I believe.

Sorry, had a 13 hr shift yesterday I would go with Pryor, Hyde is hurt and Brieda is eating carries now.

Just discovered a rule that I didn't know about and it makes me wonder....

Michigan had the ball with about one minute left in the half and wanted to run out the clock. So they let all the time run off the clock which took them down to 21. Blut the delay of game penalty caused an automatic 10 servings runoff. So far OK. But then the refs restarted the clock and the rest of the time ran  off. What? Michigan just successfully used up about a minute of time without running a play. 

What I'm wondering is what if there's 2 or 3 minutes left. Can a team just keep taking delay of game penalties and have the clock restarted after each one?  Doesn't that let a team with a lead late in a close game just sit there and refuse to snap the ball?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hate Tom Savage. Seriously, up by 5.5, somehow weathered my opponent having julio jones and his 52 points, and Savage gets sacked, fumbles. The loss of yardage costs me 2 points, the sack 1.5, the fumble three. Down by one. Texans get the ball back, he picks up 9 on first throw, getting me two points on the loss of yardage earlier, putting me back up by one. I win if he throws 3 straight incompletions. Throws a pick the next play, two points back to my opponent, i lose by one.

Wow. So mad that the committe picked Alabama over OSU.  If they want to lose their last game of the yeaer and still go they need to do something about their schedule.  Saban just mamipulates the schedule year after year.  This was the year that they could have  made him pay the price for doing that. I don't think Alabama ever schedules a  non-conference game on an oppoent's field  Saban essentially took a week off, by scheduling Mercer, just to prepare for Auburn and then lost anyway even though Georgia outplayed the heck out of them. Then there was the week they were playing Fresn o St. at home (of course) while OSU was playing Oklahoma in Norman. Alabama didn''t even play in their conference championship game, and the team that represented their division got blown out.  Whose to say the SEC is better than the B1G and that a team from that conference that even make their championship game should go instead of another major conference winner. Taking two teams from the same conference is like the committee just deciding that cconference if better than  other conferences. Who's to say what their record would be in another conference.Maybe they wouldn't beat Penn State away (like OSU did), or Michigan State or Wisconsin, or even Michigan. Maybe they wouldn't beat USC or Stanford or Washington.   I said a few weeks ago that as long it's a 4-team playoff they need to treat those conference championship games should be considered elimination games.  if you lose, or don't make it to the game, then you're out.

Giving this spot to Alabama just encourages every other school to not schedule tough games, and never play an away game unless yyou are forced to in conference play. If OSU took Oklahoma off their schedule and replaced it with Mercer they'd be in - and all of us fans would be losers in missing out on those great cross conference games.  It's bad for football that Alabama gets rewarded for their bird-poo schedule.

• Like 1

I'm more upset that UCF didn't get a chance. I hate that they can win every game in their season and NOT be champions. Alabama played 2 games against opponents that finished top 25 (LSU highest at #17 I think). UCF beat Memphis twice, Memphis' only two losses. They are top 25. I hate that.

6 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm more upset that UCF didn't get a chance. I hate that they can win every game in their season and NOT be champions. Alabama played 2 games against opponents that finished top 25 (LSU highest at #17 I think). UCF beat Memphis twice, Memphis' only two losses. They are top 25. I hate that.

Auburn would be the highest they played, but they lost that one, so I'm not sure if you excluded them for that reason

3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hey, big? The OU game with Ohio St. was at Ohio St. this year. Last year it was in Norman. Who can forget Mayfield trying to plant the flag? And who owns Ohio Stadium? Why, Baker Mayfield, of course. :D

Ah yeah. Must have been trying to block that memory out of my mind.  But kudos and respect to both OU and OSU for playing a home and home series while Saban  was busy working on figuring out which patsy to schedule to play on his own field.

Edited by big9erfan

Picking teams based on records only makes really good sense when they play the same opponents. Otherwise you're just guessing at relative strength, and then a lot depends on the conference.  Are LSU, Mississippi State and Texas A&M better than Wisconsin, Michigan State and Penn State?  Heck, even MIchigan could coneivably be better than any of those three SECs that Alabama beat. They beat Florida by 16 while Texas A&M and LSU beat them by only 1 and 2 points. On the other hand maybe the B1G is over-rated and OSU would lose to LSU or A&M. We just don't know.

The other thing is the impossibility of evaluating a bad loss vs a good win.  OSU's loss to Iowa was bad. No denying that  But show me even one really good opponent that Alabama beat. So taking two teams from the same conference is like saying that conferenee is tougher than others and that coming in 2nd or 3rd within that conference means more than other teams winning their conference.  As long as college football is organized around conferences we have respect the winners of the major conferences. That doesn't mean they are automatically in since there are more than 4 or them. But it should be considered elimination criteria. I'd go so far as to say the committee ignored it's own rule because they were supposed to consider conference champions unless it is completely clear that another team is better. Fair enough if let's say two teams in the same conference have the same record and the one that didn't win the championship beat the other team head to head. That's eaxactly what they did last year when they pick OSU over PSU.  Even as and OSU fan I didn't agree with that. At least there was an actual on the field, head to head game they could use to make that call. But if it comes down to two teams from different conferences that didn't play each other then it's impossilbe for that call to be "compoletely clear. Almost by definition Alabama can't be "clearly better" than OSU since they didn't play the same opponents.  I would happily bet money that Alabama would not beat Michigan and MIchigan State and Penn State and Wisconsin and Iowa and Oklahoma if they had to play them. I think every one of those teams is better than any team Alabama beat this year.  I might lose that bet, but the committee's decision makes it look like a foregone conclusion. If there is a chance for me to win that bet then Alabama is not "clearly better".

Here is my strangest thought on this suject ... should the "best" four team be the ones invited? Bear with me on this.  First as I just said, it's hard to know who is "best" when teams don't play the same opponents.  But it's the nature of the 4-team playoff I'm talking about.  Suppose for a moment the playoffs have more teams in it  There might well be upsets in the first round.  Nobody would suggest that the loser of an early round should continue because they were "better" than some other team that won its first round game.  Look at the NCAA basketball tourney. How often do the top 4 seeds, thought to be the best 4 teams in the country, make it to the final 4?

So suppose Alabama played Auburn in the first round of an 8-team championship. If Alabama lost that game would anyone suggest they should continue on and take the place of some team that did win their first round game?  Silliness, right?  That's how I think of the Auburn-Alabama game.  It was an "early round elimination game". All that argument over who is "better" makes no sense if teams don't play the same opponents.  It has to come down to "win your conference or your out".  As far as I am concerned - one team per conference.  Win your conference and have a chance to go, or don't go. I would have taken OSU, USC or CFU ahead of Alabama.

Oh, I know. The best way to fix this is to go to an 8 team playoff, but I doubt that will happen. Some have even been crazy enough to suggest 6 teams...ugh. That would be even worse than 4! Do you give a team a bye in the next round and how is that fair? 

Alabama has had a terrible schedule this year, you are correct. Most of the teams excluded had a better schedule, but in the case of Ohio St., a worse record. I get your frustration, big. I do. I am not crazy about having half the playoff teams from the SEC. However, both the Pac-12 and B1G basically beat up on each other enough to cloud things up.

Ugh, I cannot stand Nick Saban and want the Tide to lose ASAP. 

6 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Oh, I know. The best way to fix this is to go to an 8 team playoff, but I doubt that will happen. Some have even been crazy enough to suggest 6 teams...ugh. That would be even worse than 4! Do you give a team a bye in the next round and how is that fair? 

Alabama has had a terrible schedule this year, you are correct. Most of the teams excluded had a better schedule, but in the case of Ohio St., a worse record. I get your frustration, big. I do. I am not crazy about having half the playoff teams from the SEC. However, both the Pac-12 and B1G basically beat up on each other enough to cloud things up.

Ugh, I cannot stand Nick Saban and want the Tide to lose ASAP. 

I have to admit part of what I'm saying is based on the part of your post I just bolded.

Edited by big9erfan