New Forum - New Random

y2lamanaki

RANDOMNESS AWAKENS  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following options makes the best option for you to vote for?

• The First One. Always go with The First One.
    • Beer (duh)
    • Frank Gore
    • Can you repeat the question?
    • All of the above
    • LET'S LET THE SHOE DECIDE
    • This all of the above. This is the better all of the above. It's more all of the abover.
  2. 2. Are you kidding me? TWO Random Polls?!?!

• No I'm not kidding you.
    • No you're not kidding me.
    • Wait, in which point of view am I supposed to answer these?!

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Hey hey hey, teachers have no room to complain!!! You guys get damn near three months off in the summer and one month during winter break!!!! 

My wife gets 2 months off in the summer and only 1.5 week off during Christmas break. I don't know about you guys but down where, we do things differently. WE used to take exams before Christmas. Now we go on break, then come back for two weeks then take Exams before MLK day...

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Have you ever BEEN a teacher?! Do you know what type of STRESS we teachers go through in those other 9 months of the year?! I had no gray and most of my hair before I started teaching at age 27. Don't you talk to me about "time off" or "room to complain"!  Only the minority of children today are taught how and expected to behave by their parents. Many parents either neglect their children or baby them, which causes all sorts of problems for schools. The problem with "education" today is the home and family situation (basically the dissolving of families!), not the schools, administration or teachers.

In order to keep teachers, they HAVE TO HAVE THAT TIME OFF. It's called mental health! :$ 

Have I ever been a teacher? Nope. And not to make this a teacher's debate, but it is common for damn near every profession to complain about things. Literally in EVERY field you can do so. But teachers do have some very nice benefits compared to others. And as for the last part about teachers having as much breaks because they need it? I can buy that, but again, plenty of other fields deal with a certain type of stress that don't get any breaks....Aside from a two week vacation per year. 

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

Another (substitute) teacher here, this is largely dependent on the district. I work in an impacted area, there are no "breaks" in that every moment not teaching is spent planning, very little support and poor wages. Most teachers I know have to work full-time jobs over summer (usually bad jobs) just to make ends meet. 

I mean, once a teacher gets established, gets tenure, gets a pay raise and sort of "figures it out" Summers and time off can be nice. But that takes years and years and some teachers never get to that point,. 

Poor wages, bad unions, 0 support, idiotic leadership...would never tell someone to go into teaching unless they loved it. 

Yeah, can buy that. District certainly has a big impact on that. 

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

My wife gets 2 months off in the summer and only 1.5 week off during Christmas break. I don't know about you guys but down where, we do things differently. WE used to take exams before Christmas. Now we go on break, then come back for two weeks then take Exams before MLK day...

Oh man, that sucks. I certainly don't want to go to break and then worry about taking exams lol.

1.5 week off during Xmas break? Does the District take other types of breaks during the school year? Like a week off during the first and second semester? I mean students have to attend 180 days of instruction per year. So only 1.5 week off during Xmas break means they have other breaks or are you saying the students have breaks but your wife still works during that time? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Have I ever been a teacher? Nope. And not to make this a teacher's debate, but it is common for damn near every profession to complain about things. Literally in EVERY field you can do so. But teachers do have some very nice benefits compared to others. And as for the last part about teachers having as much breaks because they need it? I can buy that, but again, plenty of other fields deal with a certain type of stress that don't get any breaks....Aside from a two week vacation per year. 

I'm not sure what  @Chrissooner49er did prior to teaching, but I worked in the film industry for 7 years, 14 months at a Video Game company working on a mmorpg and other stins working as a baker...I can speak from some real credibility as to what constitutes "stressful" in an industry. Teaching doesn't have the same physical toll as the others I mentioned, and more notably, you can establish a bit of a routine to your life as a teacher and most districts provide some level of benefits (again, varies). Teaching, outside of those few bonuses, is so much more stressful and frankly worse, than those other industries I mentioned. I use to pull 80 hour weeks routinely in film, usually outside in the beating sun, rigging, camera operating etc..a 14 hour day in film is substantially less exhausting than a hard day in a classroom. I've lived it. It's crazy to think it, but I've gone home from teaching and stared at walls for looong periods of time. 

Teachers 100% need the breaks, they need time to lesson plan, pick up credentialing and other degrees, and they need space. If you've never worked with 200+ hormonal kids in day, it's hard to understand. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh man, that sucks. I certainly don't want to go to break and then worry about taking exams lol.

1.5 week off during Xmas break? Does the District take other types of breaks during the school year? Like a week off during the first and second semester? I mean students have to attend 180 days of instruction per year. So only 1.5 week off during Xmas break means they have other breaks or are you saying the students have breaks but your wife still works during that time? 

Yea, when I left high school, it was the last year that we did it the old way. I feel for kids/teachers now a days. Yeah, fall break(2 days), Spring break(full week off) and various other days off. 

I'm not sure what  @Chrissooner49er did prior to teaching, but I worked in the film industry for 7 years, 14 months at a Video Game company working on a mmorpg and other stins working as a baker...I can speak from some real credibility as to what constitutes "stressful" in an industry. Teaching doesn't have the same physical toll as the others I mentioned, and more notably, you can establish a bit of a routine to your life as a teacher and most districts provide some level of benefits (again, varies). Teaching, outside of those few bonuses, is so much more stressful and frankly worse, than those other industries I mentioned. I use to pull 80 hour weeks routinely in film, usually outside in the beating sun, rigging, camera operating etc..a 14 hour day in film is substantially less exhausting than a hard day in a classroom. I've lived it. It's crazy to think it, but I've gone home from teaching and stared at walls for looong periods of time. 

Teachers 100% need the breaks, they need time to lesson plan, pick up credentialing and other degrees, and they need space. If you've never worked with 200+ hormonal kids in day, it's hard to understand. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You really have no idea how misguided this viewpoint is. Anyone can complain about anything. People complain about font changes. Complaining is meaningless. 

Having reason to complain is an entirely different matter. Teachers have plenty of reason to complain. And if you think the complaints are of equal gravity, you are just way off base.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I just think that sadly, things have changed where now the parents/students run the show. Teachers are asked to do way more now and if y ou mess up just once, your head is on the chopping block. As someone who worked IT at a smaller school district, it really sucked for teachers. Because we were smaller, changes happened in a blink of an eye. Whether you liked it or not. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not going to lie...if I ever complain about my work, it's just because I'm in a sour mood and I never actually mean it. While my "field" isn't always great, my particular job is fantastic. 

I extremely lucky to have the job I do, it's kind of awesome. There are some drawbacks (sitting on your butt all day is not ideal, and my body has felt the consequences of that), but my company / job is just awesome. 

Again, wouldn't argue that. But they have health and welfare benefits that are MUCH better than other professions. Now, you are working as a substitute so you don't probably get those as for certificated it is usually FTE and for classified employees it is usually those that work six hours a day or more. The breaks are really good, even if it is valid that they are needed. Some get damn near 3.5-4 months off. Now, it certainly depends where you are in your career. True that the latter part of the breaks really is planning for the following year. 

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

You really have no idea how misguided this viewpoint is. Anyone can complain about anything. People complain about font changes. Complaining is meaningless. 

Having reason to complain is an entirely different matter. Teachers have plenty of reason to complain. And if you think the complaints are of equal gravity, you are just way off base.

Possibly, but I don't think so. I already said teachers have reasons to complain, but they also have some really nice benefits. You can disagree with that, but I don't think that is off base.

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yea, when I left high school, it was the last year that we did it the old way. I feel for kids/teachers now a days. Yeah, fall break(2 days), Spring break(full week off) and various other days off. 

That's setting the kids up for failure. No way in hell should tests be after breaks, unless they get like a week for the tests after returning.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not going to lie...if I ever complain about my work, it's just because I'm in a sour mood and I never actually mean it. While my "field" isn't always great, my particular job is fantastic. 

I extremely lucky to have the job I do, it's kind of awesome. There are some drawbacks (sitting on your butt all day is not ideal, and my body has felt the consequences of that), but my company / job is just awesome. 

Good stuff, job being fantastic certainly helps keeping the stress down. I know people that took lower paying jobs and pretty much demotions VOLUNTARILY just because they didn't want the additional stress even though the pay was better, and in some cases, significantly better.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

O.o And getting paid for it?! N-I-C-E

Once every 2 months or so, I have a rotation on our "answer center", which is what I'm on this week.  If I answer 4 emails all day, it's a lot. During a 7.5 hour work day, I may take 3 emails, a phone call, and review a couple of documents. It's about 50 minutes worth or work.

During these weeks, I largely just spend my time watching movies, playing video games, or messing around on here. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Once every 2 months or so, I have a rotation on our "answer center", which is what I'm on this week.  If I answer 4 emails all day, it's a lot. During a 7.5 hour work day, I may take 3 emails, a phone call, and review a couple of documents. It's about 50 minutes worth or work.

During these weeks, I largely just spend my time watching movies, playing video games, or messing around on here. 

Never knew I wanted to be Forge when I grew up. 

• Like 1