Free Agent Rumors--Who Are The Lions Going After?

Just Want A Title

I think the only free agents that would be valuable to us right now are Isaiah Crowell and Darius Philon.  We need a #2RB and Crowell is solid. 

Ricky-Jean Francois played well but he is 32 years old.  Darius Philon would provide quality depth and an insurance policy just in case A'Shawn Robinson disappears the way he did at the beginning of last season.  Philon has been a really under-appreciated DL for the Chargers and he is only 25 years old which fits the type of young and ascending talent that the Lions have been trying to sign as free agents.

38 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I think the only free agents that would be valuable to us right now are Isaiah Crowell and Darius Philon.  We need a #2RB and Crowell is solid. 

Ricky-Jean Francois played well but he is 32 years old.  Darius Philon would provide quality depth and an insurance policy just in case A'Shawn Robinson disappears the way he did at the beginning of last season.  Philon has been a really under-appreciated DL for the Chargers and he is only 25 years old which fits the type of young and ascending talent that the Lions have been trying to sign as free agents.

I like the Philon suggestion. Will have to look at him more but that's a good description and reasoning. I think they'd also like to bring back Eli Harold on a cheap 1 year deal.

I just saw that Spencer Ware is visiting us today. He could be a potential RB signing.

Given the amount of money we have tied up with Darius Slay and Stafford, I would prefer to do everything we can to start developing our internal talent.  Bob Quin may not be perfect but he has put together some pretty solid drafts.  Other than Teez Tabor, he hasn't had any major whiffs and has managed to add some quality players from the later rounds (Golladay, Crosby, Glasgow and Hand).  If we have another good draft class along some quality performances by our free agents, it may finally give us one or more deep playoff runs.

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Given the amount of money we have tied up with Darius Slay and Stafford, I would prefer to do everything we can to start developing our internal talent.  Bob Quin may not be perfect but he has put together some pretty solid drafts.  Other than Teez Tabor, he hasn't had any major whiffs and has managed to add some quality players from the later rounds (Golladay, Crosby, Glasgow and Hand).  If we have another good draft class along some quality performances by our free agents, it may finally give us one or more deep playoff runs.

Agreed. The contracts they've handed out to Flowers and Coleman were intended to address significant holes and help to speed up the culture change. Once they get some success and cool down the hot seat, they're likely going to return to more of a Patriots style off-season (develop young talent, let high priced FA's walk). While I like MP, he isn't BB. I don't think we'll wind up going full Patriots: MW Edition but we should expect to see more young talent being drafted and developed.

17 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

I'm still hoping for the unrealistic trade for PP or Ramsey...

Trade for Ramsey sign him to a deal!

I'd love to have both players but I think you make those moves only if you believe that we have a roster that is ready to compete and make it into the 2nd round of the playoffs and beyond. Peterson would be my target because he should come at a cheaper cost - contract wise and trade compensation wise. The Jags signed Foles because they figure they're good QB play away from being playoff contenders with that defense. Ramsey is young and is going to command a pretty penny.

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Agreed. The contracts they've handed out to Flowers and Coleman were intended to address significant holes and help to speed up the culture change. Once they get some success and cool down the hot seat, they're likely going to return to more of a Patriots style off-season (develop young talent, let high priced FA's walk). While I like MP, he isn't BB. I don't think we'll wind up going full Patriots: MW Edition but we should expect to see more young talent being drafted and developed.

I'd love to have both players but I think you make those moves only if you believe that we have a roster that is ready to compete and make it into the 2nd round of the playoffs and beyond. Peterson would be my target because he should come at a cheaper cost - contract wise and trade compensation wise. The Jags signed Foles because they figure they're good QB play away from being playoff contenders with that defense. Ramsey is young and is going to command a pretty penny.

Imo cb is very hard get

I'd love to be set there for yrs instead of taking yrs to find the guy

Yes I also think a move like that puts us straight in the playoffs

Your prolly right about taking Patrick cheaper

30 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

I'm still hoping for the unrealistic trade for PP or Ramsey...

Trade for Ramsey sign him to a deal!

TRADE

Peterson: Cap Hit: $11,884, 588 (Dead Money - $1,269, 177; Frees up - $10,615,411); 2020 Cap Hit: $13M (2021 FA)

Ramsey: Cap Hit: $7.4M (Dead Money - $3.7M; Frees up $3.6). 2020 FA

Ramsey is going to want to get PAID. We have a lot of cap space this year but the contracts of Flowers and Coleman will wind up being bumped up (I think Flowers goes from $6M this year to $16M next year).

We're going into 2020 with $40M in cap space with guys like Glasgow and Decker in need of new contracts. Wagner, M. Jones, Kennard could all open up some cap space too.

24 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Imo cb is very hard get

I'd love to be set there for yrs instead of taking yrs to find the guy

Yes I also think a move like that puts us straight in the playoffs

Your prolly right about taking Patrick cheaper

The Revis trade is probably a good one for trade compensation.

In 2013, he was traded for a 2013 1st (13th overall) and a 2014 conditional pick (a 4th if he was on the roster). Revis was 28 at the time.

Peterson is 28 this year while Ramsey is 24. PP is probably going to cost pick #8  with us receiving PP,  2019 5th and 2020 2nd with a $10M cap hit.

Revis Trade: #13 (1150 pts) + 2014 4th (30 pts) = 1180 pts

PP: #8 (1400 pts) for 2019 5th (36 pts) + 2020 2nd (265 pts) + Peterson

23 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

In 2013, he was traded for a 2013 1st (13th overall) and a 2014 conditional pick (a 4th if he was on the roster). Revis was 28 at the time.

Peterson is 28 this year while Ramsey is 24. PP is probably going to cost pick #8  with us receiving PP,  2019 5th and 2020 3rd with a $10M cap hit.

You think flowers could restructure at some point?

8 is to high for me for Patrick unless they wd give up this yrs 2nd maaaybe

If that were the case think I'd pay Ramseys ransom... what you think it take to swing a Ramsey trade? Revis thing?

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Peterson is 28 this year while Ramsey is 24. PP is probably going to cost pick #8  with us receiving PP,  2019 5th and 2020 2nd with a $10M cap hit.

Revis Trade: #13 (1150 pts) + 2014 4th (30 pts) = 1180 pts

PP: #8 (1400 pts) for 2019 5th (36 pts) + 2020 2nd (265 pts) + Peterson

I may be in the minority on this but I will throw it out there anyway:

Patrick Peterson is a very good CB but given his freakish physical talent he should a better football player, especially with having Larry Fitzgerald to work with/against.  Just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

You think flowers could restructure at some point?

8 is to high for me for Patrick unless they wd give up this yrs 2nd maaaybe

If that were the case think I'd pay Ramseys ransom... what you think it take to swing a Ramsey trade? Revis thing?

I'd say we're looking at 2019 1st and 3rd + $15M - $16M/year x 5 years for Ramsey. Guy is in his prime and should be a top 5 CB during that timeframe.

5 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I may be in the minority on this but I will throw it out there anyway:

Patrick Peterson is a very good CB but given his freakish physical talent he should a better football player, especially with having Larry Fitzgerald to work with/against.  Just my opinion.

As a cb2 he could dominate..

Definitely feel 8 is way to high...for trade tho

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd say we're looking at 2019 1st and 3rd + $15M - $16M/year x 5 years for Ramsey. Guy is in his prime and should be a top 5 CB during that timeframe.

I'm doin it

What about next yrs first and 2nd this year?

11 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

I'm doin it

What about next yrs first and 2nd this year?

If I'm the Jags, I wouldn't do it unless it was #8 this year. The Lions should have a better season next year - even if it's marginally, we should be closer to pick 16 than pick #1. So they'd wind up with a lesser draft pick next year  if they go that route. They can find top level talent at picks 7 and 8 or use one of those in a trade down (and save themselves some cash in the process).

Slay ($15M), Ramsey ($15M) and Coleman ($9M) is a TON invested into the secondary. That would put us at $39M/avg per year which beats the current positional high spender (Baltimore) by $6M.

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If I'm the Jags, I wouldn't do it unless it was #8 this year. The Lions should have a better season next year - even if it's marginally, we should be closer to pick 16 than pick #1. So they'd wind up with a lesser draft pick next year  if they go that route. They can find top level talent at picks 7 and 8 or use one of those in a trade down (and save themselves some cash in the process).

Slay ($15M), Ramsey ($15M) and Coleman ($9M) is a TON invested into the secondary. That would put us at $39M/avg per year which beats the current positional high spender (Baltimore) by $6M.

Ya but your getting a 2nd instead of a late 3rd

Ya that is a ton.. but I'm sure if something like this were to go down i think Coleman would of never been signed 

Just dreamin here

I'd still try to work it for a yr or 2 with Coleman 

Archived