Free Agent Rumors--Who Are The Lions Going After?

Just Want A Title

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

In what was is being benched for the 1000 year old DRC halfway through the year "a pretty decent year"?

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2019/03/lions-add-cb-rashaan-melvin-to-new-look-secondary.html

Did anything happening on Oakland's defense lead you to believe they actually knew what they were doing?  That team is a total mess.

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

I'd trade for him. Give up something like a later/mid round pick, but he's due around 13 million each year for three years with no cap hit if released. Might be worth a 1 year flier and decide what to do with him next offseason(Keep/restructure/release).

Harrison/McCoy could be "TOUGH" next to eachother. 

And Flowers.  I think it would be a legit D line and we would have depth to keep guys fresh.  Would love to send a 6th for him and hope he is worth keeping around/restructuring.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Did anything happening on Oakland's defense lead you to believe they actually knew what they were doing?  That team is a total mess.

We've gone from a pretty decent year to not being good enough to keep his starting job on a defense that was a total mess. Progress.

Spencer Ware should still be on our radars as a potential FA signing. I believe that the Lions are going to add another two RB's into the mix: a veteran guy that Bevell is familiar with (and is familiar with Bevell's system) and a rookie. Ware was drafted by Seattle, is only 27 and has been a productive member of a RBBC but also has been the main guy at times when needed.

I read an article yesterday which referenced that this is Ware's first real go at FA, which is a bit shocking for a 27 year old. He's likely looking for a starting role and/or to get paid a decent amount of money. If his market isn't quite what he thought it would be, Ware is a guy that could come in as our RB2. I don't think it would be a terrible move (depending on the money). We need to add a vet who could start if KJ is injured. His familiarity with the offense is a plus and he has proven to be productive.

Melvin, like Oday, Zenner(and Brown if he had stuck) and even Amendola aren't here to be "the answer", they're here to be place holders, so at the worst we aren't forced to draft any particular position and we have depth. At worst, we upgrade nickel a ton and Melvin is at worst a taller Lawson. 

34 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Melvin, like Oday, Zenner(and Brown if he had stuck) and even Amendola aren't here to be "the answer", they're here to be place holders, so at the worst we aren't forced to draft any particular position and we have depth. At worst, we upgrade nickel a ton and Melvin is at worst a taller Lawson. 

Agreed 100%. I'm expecting us to draft a CB (maybe 2) in the draft and likely one in rounds 2-4 with an eye on them becoming a starter. Melvin can start and Coleman can also play outside when needed. They don't need to reach for a guy like Greedy Williams at #8 and force them to start

Dontrelle Inman is scheduled to meet with us today. Would add veteran depth.

I have a feeling that we're going to trade Marvin Jones to a team like the Chiefs. Depending on how things shake out with Tyreek Hill, they're going to need some help at WR after losing Conley in FA. If Hill is suspended and/or released, it wouldn't shock me to see the Chiefs make a trade for a reliable veteran option.

Archived