Free Agent Rumors--Who Are The Lions Going After?

Just Want A Title

Just now, Rockcity2 said:

Ya but your getting a 2nd instead of a late 3rd

Ya that is a ton.. but I'm sure if something like this were to go down i think Coleman would of never been signed 

Just dreamin here

I'd still try to work it for a yr or 2 with Coleman 

If we were to do it, we'd have to get Ramsey in on a new contract but structure it like they've done with Flowers and/or Coleman... Maybe $6M/year this season and then up to $15M next season. Stafford carries a heavy cap hit but he's really only a lock on the roster until 2021. He'd carry a $20M dead cap hit if he's cut next season but only $10M in 2021. So there'd be the one year where it could be an issue. If the team wants to stay with Stafford then they might restructure his contract. If they want to move on, it wouldn't hurt us cap wise in 2021. The QB class is deep next year and with a 2018 top 10 d that now adds Flowers, Coleman and Ramsey... the only way we're picking in the top 10 again is because our offense just tanked.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA at even the thought going through your head that the Jags would give up Ramsey for anything.....that's like the Lions selling Calvin at 24 yrs old prime for a 1st...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'd just stop wasting your time thinking about it. Never EVER EVER. Will Jalen Ramsey play for the Detroit Lions....why dont we get Myles Garrett while were at it

44 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Ya but your getting a 2nd instead of a late 3rd

Ya that is a ton.. but I'm sure if something like this were to go down i think Coleman would of never been signed 

Just dreamin here

I'd still try to work it for a yr or 2 with Coleman 

Honestly, as I'm working things out... this actually could be feasible. It would still be a matter of the Jags wanting to move on from Ramsey (or him wanting to get out) but it could still work.

We'd still have our 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6 (x2), 7 (x2) picks for this year. The contracts would leave us at around $28M in cap space with moves on M. Jones and R. Wagner (maybe even Kennard) opening up more space (around $34 - $36M). Decker and Glasgow are both in line for new contracts but Quinn has shown he can work some of the numbers to make things work.

DE: Flowers

DT: Harrison

DL: Hand

Edge: Kennard

MLB: Davis

WLB: Jones (probably also would be in line to be replaced in 2020)

LCB: Slay

SCB: Coleman

RCB: Ramsey

FS: Walker

SS: Diggs

13 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Honestly, as I'm working things out... this actually could be feasible. It would still be a matter of the Jags wanting to move on from Ramsey (or him wanting to get out) but it could still work.

We'd still have our 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6 (x2), 7 (x2) picks for this year. The contracts would leave us at around $28M in cap space with moves on M. Jones and R. Wagner (maybe even Kennard) opening up more space (around $34 - $36M). Decker and Glasgow are both in line for new contracts but Quinn has shown he can work some of the numbers to make things work.

DE: Flowers

DT: Harrison

DL: Hand

Edge: Kennard

MLB: Davis

WLB: Jones (probably also would be in line to be replaced in 2020)

LCB: Slay

SCB: Coleman

RCB: Ramsey

FS: Walker

SS: Diggs

I would rather draft Gary with our pick 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

I'm not sold on Gary. Hand has played well for us and one of our biggest needs is a corner opposite of Slay. Ramsey is a proven commodity.

Yeah nobody...NOBODY is worth multiple guys...especially a cocky dramaqueen...and we could land our own with the kid from LSU...or draft down and get one of the other studs (murphy or baker or ya-sin, or wait until later and get Bunting from CMU. IF, you're not sold on Greedy cause he does look a little thin. But he did say he going to keep adding weight. but will he be able to still break the same and be as fast is the question. Im happy at least you're not saying to draft Metcalf. Still. You don't have to be sold on Gary either. I bet he's a stud though. I guarantee it. But everyone knows pass rush is huge....they make a CB look like a pro bowler...just think about it...I dont care if you have deion freakin sanders...if you dont generate pressure...they will tear him apart and tire him out...also love devin white but i think hell suprise and go top 5. also like trading down and getting the LB from Michigan. (not a michigan fan)  

1 minute ago, NFL_Fan said:

Ramsey will be 20 million + cap for the next 5 years off anyones contract...and I bet it's the Jags...or his favorite team...certainly not us..

You could be right. Oddly enough, the Jags are in a bit of a worse cap situation than we are. This does get solved with cuts of Dareus and Campbell for nearly $30M (cap space of about $45M when all is said and done).

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You could be right. Oddly enough, the Jags are in a bit of a worse cap situation than we are. This does get solved with cuts of Dareus and Campbell for nearly $30M (cap space of about $45M when all is said and done).

Jags also prove signing names wont win anything...comes down to a bunch of factors. but mainly coaching...so we shall wait and see.

Just now, NFL_Fan said:

Yeah nobody...NOBODY is worth multiple guys...especially a cocky dramaqueen...and we could land our own with the kid from LSU...or draft down and get one of the other studs (murphy or baker or ya-sin, or wait until later and get Bunting from CMU. IF, you're not sold on Greedy cause he does look a little thin. But he did say he going to keep adding weight. but will he be able to still break the same and be as fast is the question. Im happy at least you're not saying to draft Metcalf. Still. You don't have to be sold on Gary either. I bet he's a stud though. I guarantee it. But everyone knows pass rush is huge....they make a CB look like a pro bowler...just think about it...I dont care if you have deion freakin sanders...if you dont generate pressure...they will tear him apart and tire him out...also love devin white but i think hell suprise and go top 5. also like trading down and getting the LB from Michigan. (not a michigan fan)  

There's different philosophies and I think you really need a balance. If you can get pressure but no coverage, a good QB is just going to get the ball out quick. If you have coverage but no pressure, the QB can just sit back and wait for something to develop. Now that we've added Flowers, we should be getting more pressure on the QB (even if they don't become double digit sacks) which should help our guys in coverage. If we get a guy opposite of Slay (whether it's Ramsey or G. Williams, etc.) then it should force the QB to take a bit longer and help generate more sack and/or incompletion opportunities. We've already addressed the pressure part with Flowers... let's get him some more time with a coverage guy and lock down both sides of the field. Harrison and Hand are elite against the run. So this would be a defense that is very, very difficult to play against.

I do really like Devin White and would like him at #8 if he's there.

5 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

Jags also prove signing names wont win anything...comes down to a bunch of factors. but mainly coaching...so we shall wait and see.

Agreed 100%. However, Ramsey is young and proven.. which is why any team would be willing to pay him close to the $15 - $20 M contract he's surely going to get.

It's possible that the Lions don't even need to bother going that route and find a young guy in the 2nd or 3rd round that can do the job. Just interesting to see that trading for a guy like Ramsey wouldn't be totally out of the question and addresses a huge need for us.

1 hour ago, NFL_Fan said:

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA at even the thought going through your head that the Jags would give up Ramsey for anything.....that's like the Lions selling Calvin at 24 yrs old prime for a 1st...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'd just stop wasting your time thinking about it. Never EVER EVER. Will Jalen Ramsey play for the Detroit Lions....why dont we get Myles Garrett while were at it

I don't think it will happen... but no one really expected Odell or AB to get traded until they forced the issue. If Ramsey presses things to get out AND wants to get paid, a team like the Lions aren't totally out of it. We're not in the AFC, we'd have cap space to manage it, he'd have other solid pieces in the defensive backfield and a guy up front in Flowers that generates pressure.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

If we were to do it, we'd have to get Ramsey in on a new contract but structure it like they've done with Flowers and/or Coleman... Maybe $6M/year this season and then up to $15M next season. Stafford carries a heavy cap hit but he's really only a lock on the roster until 2021. He'd carry a $20M dead cap hit if he's cut next season but only $10M in 2021. So there'd be the one year where it could be an issue. If the team wants to stay with Stafford then they might restructure his contract. If they want to move on, it wouldn't hurt us cap wise in 2021. The QB class is deep next year and with a 2018 top 10 d that now adds Flowers, Coleman and Ramsey... the only way we're picking in the top 10 again is because our offense just tanked.

That's what I'm talkin bout  

1 hour ago, NFL_Fan said:

Bottom line is Jacksonville may not want to pay

1 minute ago, Rockcity2 said:

That's what I'm talkin bout  

I do think that it's HIGHLY unlikely to happen but if the Jags ever were ready to move on, we likely could manage it. Peterson is a more realistic candidate if we actually go that route. A large part of this depends on what the plans are for Coleman.

Archived