Possible Trade-Back Scenarios

Just Want A Title

This draft is deep at DE, TE, WR and OG.  The good news is the strength of the draft mirrors the Lion's biggest needs.  That being said, I think it would be awesome if we could get extra picks in the second and third round.  Do you see any realistic scenarios where that could happen?  The way I see it, if someone trades up it will be for Andre Dillard, Jawaan Taylor or Drew Lock.  They might trade up for what they consider to be an elite D-Lineman if they really man-crush on a prospect.  Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Philadelphia and New England have two second round picks.  Cleveland, Jacksonville, New England and Washington have two third round picks.  Compensatory picks can be traded now so this might make things really interesting.

I could see Cleveland or Houston moving up for O-line help.  Indianapolis might be willing to move up if they think there is a guy that will push them to a Super Bowl.  What trade scenarios do you think are feasible?

if a qb falls I could see someone moving up with us. if a WR/TE is there... I wouldn't be upset if we trade back I keep hear the cbs podcast keep saying minus the top tier of prospects 1-5. there really is no difference in the 2nd/3rd tier, were not 1 player away from a super bowl so get more ammo to make a deep run for the future.

Denver (10), Cincy (11), Miami (13) and Atlanta (14) are the teams that I think are probably trade candidates.

If there's more than a few QB's taken near the top of the draft (Murray at #1, Haskins at #6) the Broncos could be inclined to move up to get their guy and not let a team like the Bengals or Dolphins move up to draft a QB. Move the Sticks was comparing Montez Sweat to Vic Beasley and that he would be a good fit with the Falcons. Beasley has a $12M cap hit. It's possible the Falcons trade up to get a cheaper version of Beasley and/or get a guy to pair with him. They've franchised Grady Jarrett and they have a fairly talented roster.

If the Lions want to address the TE spot through the draft, there's a very good chance that Hockenson or Fant is going to be sitting there at 14 (probably both).

4 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

This draft is deep at DE, TE, WR and OG.  The good news is the strength of the draft mirrors the Lion's biggest needs.  That being said, I think it would be awesome if we could get extra picks in the second and third round.  Do you see any realistic scenarios where that could happen?  The way I see it, if someone trades up it will be for Andre Dillard, Jawaan Taylor or Drew Lock.  They might trade up for what they consider to be an elite D-Lineman if they really man-crush on a prospect.  Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Philadelphia and New England have two second round picks.  Cleveland, Jacksonville, New England and Washington have two third round picks.  Compensatory picks can be traded now so this might make things really interesting.

I could see Cleveland or Houston moving up for O-line help.  Indianapolis might be willing to move up if they think there is a guy that will push them to a Super Bowl.  What trade scenarios do you think are feasible?

Washington is trading for Keenum. With Colt McCoy also on the roster, it wouldn't shock me if they stayed put and took a guy at their current spot. There's a little less pressure to make sure they have a starting QB for this season with this trade. 2020 has a better looking QB class and they can always take a guy like Lock if he does fall to them if they want to.

I think whoever moves up, it will not be for a QB unless Haskins or Murray fall, which is unlikely.  Someone needs to fall in love with DK Metcalf or one of the OT's or even one of the edge guys that they see as being head and shoulders above the rest.  I think its not going to be an easy year to get good value in a trade back as most teams seem to have a similar feeling and would rather stay put and have more picks.

14 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think whoever moves up, it will not be for a QB unless Haskins or Murray fall, which is unlikely.  Someone needs to fall in love with DK Metcalf or one of the OT's or even one of the edge guys that they see as being head and shoulders above the rest.  I think its not going to be an easy year to get good value in a trade back as most teams seem to have a similar feeling and would rather stay put and have more picks.

I do think that a trade with the Falcons is a possibility. They're a team that is closer to being a competitive playoff team. The Lions have more holes to fill and could use extra picks.

I agree with your assessment. The general consensus is that it is a very deep draft so teams are better having more picks than less. It would take special players and/or circumstances for teams to decide to move up.

This is the trade down that I want:

detroit flips their pick with Miami and perhaps we toss in next years 2nd or 3rd for Xavian Howard. There were rumors he was on available at the deadline last year. He wants to be the highest paid CB and pairing him with Slay gives us an amazing CB tandem and fills the “playmaker” tag Quin wants. 

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:03 PM, Millenhater said:

This is the trade down that I want:

detroit flips their pick with Miami and perhaps we toss in next years 2nd or 3rd for Xavian Howard. There were rumors he was on available at the deadline last year. He wants to be the highest paid CB and pairing him with Slay gives us an amazing CB tandem and fills the “playmaker” tag Quin wants. 

we cant afford to make Xavien Howard the highest paid CB in the league though..

It doesn't appear were in a good spot for a team looking for a QB. I'd guess if we moved down it would be dline or tackle that our trade partner would be targeting.

I'd love a trade down then select Hockenson....the kid is a beast with more upside left and the frame to bulk up even more.

1 hour ago, detroitroar said:

It doesn't appear were in a good spot for a team looking for a QB. I'd guess if we moved down it would be dline or tackle that our trade partner would be targeting.

I'd love a trade down then select Hockenson....the kid is a beast with more upside left and the frame to bulk up even more.

I dunno about that.

Den (10);  Mia (13); Wsh (15) are all strong candidates with only 3 QB's that teams seem to be high on in the 1st round (Murray, Haskins, Lock). Guys like Jones, Stidham and T. Jackson could be taken late 1st - 2nd round. Teams like Cincinnati (if they want to move on from Dalton), Oakland (if Gruden wants to move on from Carr), Tennessee (if they aren't sold on Mariota's health), Chargers and Patriots are also in the mix to find their next guy.

***CHARGERS SIGNED TYROD TAYLOR TO 2 YEAR DEAL*** So that squashes the Chargers as being a player in the QB market for this season.

Edited by Karnage84

I don't hate the idea of trade back as long as it's not too far. I don't really wanna drop in the 20's. Also, Lots of good players should be there at 8. It is ok to take a great player instead of trading back for picks so people can get their TE that isn't a HOF TE.

If you're not a HOF TE, literally, you don't belong in the first round. Ever. 

Ok, Literally I don't know if Hock can or cannot be a HOF'er, but, this is what he's set up for before even taking the field. HOF career or bust. Eric Ebron wouldn't of been a bad pick in the 2nd round. No one would be saying squat about him. But, because he was picked at 10 it comes with major expectations... You're no longer aloud to be just good or even average TE. 

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

I don't hate the idea of trade back as long as it's not too far. I don't really wanna drop in the 20's. Also, Lots of good players should be there at 8. It is ok to take a great player instead of trading back for picks so people can get their TE that isn't a HOF TE.

If you're not a HOF TE, literally, you don't belong in the first round. Ever. 

Ok, Literally I don't know if Hock can or cannot be a HOF'er, but, this is what he's set up for before even taking the field. HOF career or bust. Eric Ebron wouldn't of been a bad pick in the 2nd round. No one would be saying squat about him. But, because he was picked at 10 it comes with major expectations... You're no longer aloud to be just good or even average TE. 

I'd be shocked if we didn't a) stay put at 8 or b) traded with Miami. They aren't trading with Buffalo (pick 9) and Denver probably needs a QB (pick 10). Lock is probably going to be sitting there unless the Broncos move up to take him with Cardinals and Giants in the mix for Murray/Haskins.

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I dunno about that.

Den (10);  Mia (13); Wsh (15) are all strong candidates with only 3 QB's that teams seem to be high on in the 1st round (Murray, Haskins, Lock). Guys like Jones, Stidham and T. Jackson could be taken late 1st - 2nd round. Teams like Cincinnati (if they want to move on from Dalton), Oakland (if Gruden wants to move on from Carr), Tennessee (if they aren't sold on Mariota's health), Chargers and Patriots are also in the mix to find their next guy.

***CHARGERS SIGNED TYROD TAYLOR TO 2 YEAR DEAL*** So that squashes the Chargers as being a player in the QB market for this season.

You have as many as 4 teams ahead of us who may go QB....then the 2 teams in front of us and the one behind us likely won't.

I hope I'm wrong cause a team moving up for a QB would likely net the biggest haul but I don't see it as of now. 

16 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

You have as many as 4 teams ahead of us who may go QB....then the 2 teams in front of us and the one behind us likely won't.

I hope I'm wrong cause a team moving up for a QB would likely net the biggest haul but I don't see it as of now. 

1) ARI: Kyler Murray <<<QB

2) SF: Joey Bosa

3) NYJ (could be a trade up option) or Josh Allen. Wildcard pick would be top OL.

4) OAK - Q. Williams (Have Carr)

5) TB - Montez Sweat (Have Winston)

6) NYG - Haskins <<<QB

7) JAX - Have to consider OL to protect Foles

8) DET

9) BUF (Have Allen) > Likely won't trade with Miami at reasonable level

10) DEN - Lock? <<<QB

11) CIN (Might want to replace Dalton?)

12) GB (Have Rodgers and unlikely to trade up with Det)

13) MIA ***Desperate need of a starting QB***

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

1) ARI: Kyler Murray <<<QB

2) SF: Joey Bosa

3) NYJ (could be a trade up option) or Josh Allen. Wildcard pick would be top OL.

4) OAK - Q. Williams (Have Carr)

5) TB - Montez Sweat (Have Winston)

6) NYG - Haskins <<<QB

7) JAX - Have to consider OL to protect Foles

8) DET

9) BUF (Have Allen) > Likely won't trade with Miami at reasonable level

10) DEN - Lock? <<<QB

11) CIN (Might want to replace Dalton?)

12) GB (Have Rodgers and unlikely to trade up with Det)

13) MIA ***Desperate need of a starting QB***

Well we disagree on 3 teams.

I think Oakland and Tampa could be eyeing QB's. 

I don't think Denver is in a rush to draft one.