Possible Trade-Back Scenarios

Just Want A Title

23 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm just hoping to see Haskins, Lock and Jones get pushed up so that we can move down, get extra picks and still get a stud player.

While I am definitely looking forward to it, I always find the draft to be a bit of a let down. You fawn over certain players and how they'll fit on your team for months. Then the draft rolls around, your team drafts a couple people that you like, some you're unsure of and some you've barely heard of. Then we have to wait several months before seeing any of it come to fruition. Season ends and then we're right back into it. It's addictive lol

I feel like we may be able to count on these qbs being pushed up the board. It just always seems to work out that way. The 49ers fleeced the Bears for Tribisky to move up one spot.

To your second point; that is the part that is exciting for me.. Going through all the film, profiles, etc. of guys I didnt see coming drinking the koolaid all the while 😀

Im not Coach. I do play a lot of Madden. and for my TE if he has the will to be physcial (chip a DE)  and can run about 3 routes and catch the ball and not fumble. Thats all I need lmao. Also, most teams with a sweet TE dont have a sweet WR. So their numbers will look better....or they had a HOF QB lol...I think its harder to find great pass rushers....obviously QB if your coaches stink...MLB and CB is also very very tough. cause you make one wrong turn or wrong gap its gameover...I personally wouldnt draft Fant. At all. Maybe in the third. but thats where i value TE's. I think we can get same production out of a undrafted guy if he stays healthy and is coached well. I personally like trade back for Brian Burns. Funny I drafted him in Madden a year ago and HE WAS SICKKKKKKKK. lol ( i know madden is a video game and not realistic look)

26 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

Im not Coach. I do play a lot of Madden. and for my TE if he has the will to be physcial (chip a DE)  and can run about 3 routes and catch the ball and not fumble. Thats all I need lmao. Also, most teams with a sweet TE dont have a sweet WR. So their numbers will look better....or they had a HOF QB lol...I think its harder to find great pass rushers....obviously QB if your coaches stink...MLB and CB is also very very tough. cause you make one wrong turn or wrong gap its gameover...I personally wouldnt draft Fant. At all. Maybe in the third. but thats where i value TE's. I think we can get same production out of a undrafted guy if he stays healthy and is coached well. I personally like trade back for Brian Burns. Funny I drafted him in Madden a year ago and HE WAS SICKKKKKKKK. lol ( i know madden is a video game and not realistic look)

Travis Kelce + Tyreek Hill

Jimmy Graham  + Doug Baldwin

Tyler Eifert + AJ Green

Zach Ertz + Alshon Jeffery

OJ Howard + Mike Evans

Evan Engram + OBJ (he was there when he was drafted)

Ebron was drafted to pair with Calvin, which is why we passed over OBJ, Donald, etc.

This is just a handful of the combinations of top level WR's and their top level TE. If your TE is supposed to be a safety blanket, then they need to be a reliable pass catcher (Ebron was not). If you're looking to stretch the field and have a mismatch weapon, you're not doing that with a superb blocker running a 4.8. You're better off with a big WR if you're not looking for them to chip in as a blocker.

When you get past the 3rd round, the average TE that is even moderately successful has 25 - 30 receptions/year, 250 - 300 yards, 2-3 TD's. There's a ton of these guys that wind up on practice squads or don't stick around for long. There aren't that many Antonio Gates' or George Kittle's.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Travis Kelce + Tyreek Hill

Jimmy Graham  + Doug Baldwin

Tyler Eifert + AJ Green

Zach Ertz + Alshon Jeffery

OJ Howard + Mike Evans

Evan Engram + OBJ (he was there when he was drafted)

Ebron was drafted to pair with Calvin, which is why we passed over OBJ, Donald, etc.

This is just a handful of the combinations of top level WR's and their top level TE. If your TE is supposed to be a safety blanket, then they need to be a reliable pass catcher (Ebron was not). If you're looking to stretch the field and have a mismatch weapon, you're not doing that with a superb blocker running a 4.8. You're better off with a big WR if you're not looking for them to chip in as a blocker.

When you get past the 3rd round, the average TE that is even moderately successful has 25 - 30 receptions/year, 250 - 300 yards, 2-3 TD's. There's a ton of these guys that wind up on practice squads or don't stick around for long. There aren't that many Antonio Gates' or George Kittle's.

only one i agree with is Kelce and Hill....neither drafted before the 3rd...thanks for proving my point....

Graham had really really good QB's throwing to him...his best in NO with Brees and like 3 really good WR's...im good on Jeffrey...im good in Evans....I do like Engram but only for his speed..im good on OBJ..they obviously agree.. with their picks (Couldve had OBJ)..this is why I personally think its Matthew Stafford that is our biggest weakness....and Donald was undersized to most teams at like 6'1" 280lbs...most guys are 6'3" 310 lbs (or close)

13 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

only one i agree with is Kelce and Hill....neither drafted before the 3rd...thanks for proving my point....

Graham had really really good QB's throwing to him...his best in NO with Brees and like 3 really good WR's...im good on Jeffrey...im good in Evans....I do like Engram but only for his speed..im good on OBJ..they obviously agree.. with their picks (Couldve had OBJ)..this is why I personally think its Matthew Stafford that is our biggest weakness....and Donald was undersized to most teams at like 6'1" 280lbs...most guys are 6'3" 310 lbs (or close)

Those are just the TE's that are paired with a top level WR. Gronk is a future HOF and is a 2nd rounder. I can't remember if his path crossed with Randy Moss but you can throw them into the mix there.

I don't think Stafford is the issue. I think we got the right QB at the wrong time - he came in at the end of the rookie wage scale and has always had a decent hit on the salary cap. Calvin Johnson, my favourite Lion of all-time, also was a big cap hit. The team has struggled building around him - part of it has been poor drafting and player evaluation while and another part would be the cap constraints. In this new era with the rookie wage scale, there are more financial resources to build around a young QB and have some more success. It's still very hard to find the right guy, so I don't think we should dump him. I do think the team is on the right track and hopefully Stafford can stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Those are just the TE's that are paired with a top level WR. Gronk is a future HOF and is a 2nd rounder. I can't remember if his path crossed with Randy Moss but you can throw them into the mix there.

I don't think Stafford is the issue. I think we got the right QB at the wrong time - he came in at the end of the rookie wage scale and has always had a decent hit on the salary cap. Calvin Johnson, my favourite Lion of all-time, also was a big cap hit. The team has struggled building around him - part of it has been poor drafting and player evaluation while and another part would be the cap constraints. In this new era with the rookie wage scale, there are more financial resources to build around a young QB and have some more success. It's still very hard to find the right guy, so I don't think we should dump him. I do think the team is on the right track and hopefully Stafford can stay healthy.

Unfortunately Stafford can’t play forever and to date the Lions have squandered the best QB in franchise history.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Unfortunately Stafford can’t play forever and to date the Lions have squandered the best QB in franchise history.

The Lions seem to have a habit of doing that with their best players. It'd be fitting if it also happened with Stafford.

He's still a relatively young guy and his contract isn't going to be as much of an issue over the next couple years. If the team doesn't start moving in the right direction by then, there should be a decent enough nucleus to bring in another guy and hopefully get that upward trajectory we're looking for.

7 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

The Lions seem to have a habit of doing that with their best players. It'd be fitting if it also happened with Stafford.

He's still a relatively young guy and his contract isn't going to be as much of an issue over the next couple years. If the team doesn't start moving in the right direction by then, there should be a decent enough nucleus to bring in another guy and hopefully get that upward trajectory we're looking for.

All true by both of you. Stafford is my favorite player in the league. When he is on, it is one of kind magic. But... he is not without faults to be sure. I think we will begin to have a defense that can be relied upon which should in theory allow for relaxed play, provided the play calling is balanced and varied. If these things hold true, my personal projection this year will be 4100- 4500 yards, 23-30 Tds, 65+ completion percentage and QB rating of 95+. If it works out this way, we have a strong foundation for success this season.

8 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

All true by both of you. Stafford is my favorite player in the league. When he is on, it is one of kind magic. But... he is not without faults to be sure. I think we will begin to have a defense that can be relied upon which should in theory allow for relaxed play, provided the play calling is balanced and varied. If these things hold true, my personal projection this year will be 4100- 4500 yards, 23-30 Tds, 65+ completion percentage and QB rating of 95+. If it works out this way, we have a strong foundation for success this season.

When Stafford is in form and the play calling is right he’s phenomenal. I think the stats you listed are exactly what the offence needs to be effective.

Don’t expect the Lions to move up in the first round of the draft next week, but they might move down. Lions General Manager Bob Quinn said today that he could see himself moving down, but he doesn’t think he has the ammunition to move up any higher than where the Lions currently are, at No. 8.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/18/bob-quinn-could-see-the-lions-move-down-but-not-up/

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Don’t expect the Lions to move up in the first round of the draft next week, but they might move down. Lions General Manager Bob Quinn said today that he could see himself moving down, but he doesn’t think he has the ammunition to move up any higher than where the Lions currently are, at No. 8.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/18/bob-quinn-could-see-the-lions-move-down-but-not-up/

I wonder if all of this has been smokescreen.

I wouldn't be shocked if we moved up 2 to 3 spots if Allen falls.

1 minute ago, detroitroar said:

I wonder if all of this has been smokescreen.

I wouldn't be shocked if we moved up 2 to 3 spots if Allen falls.

If Allen does fall to 6 and it's not too costly, I wouldn't rule that out. I also wouldn't rule out multiple trade downs. I could see a scenario where the Lions trade down with Washington in order to grab their QB. The Lions could then also look at trading down with the Patriots if Hockenson is there. They have 12 picks in the draft and a much shorter window and arguably a greater need at TE with the retirement of Gronk. They have 2 2nd's and multiple 3rd's.

I've seen articles about the Steelers possibly looking for a TE. Most TE's are taken in the bottom 1/3 of the draft. Steelers pick at #20.  New England does have friends here and they could work something out favourable to both sides.

Seattle is looking to trade down - we'd have plenty of ammo to move up and down the board if there's a guy available that we want.

I think Quinn has been blowing smoke.

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see them move up for Allen or maybe even Oliver.

If they do move back I would expect it will be a small move unless there’s a significant haul attached to it.

All of this seems predicated on how satisfied the Lions are with the pass rush.

If they like the rush then trade backs make sense. They can grab a corner and a lesser know DE. 

The trade should offer sufficient picks to allow Detroit to leverage the second round pick to move up and get another low first round pick.

I think the draft will be exciting this year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I think Quinn has been blowing smoke.

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see them move up for Allen or maybe even Oliver.

If they do move back I would expect it will be a small move unless there’s a significant haul attached to it.

All of this seems predicated on how satisfied the Lions are with the pass rush.

If they like the rush then trade backs make sense. They can grab a corner and a lesser know DE. 

The trade should offer sufficient picks to allow Detroit to leverage the second round pick to move up and get another low first round pick.

I think the draft will be exciting this year.

The understanding that I have of the Patriots style defense is that they aren't looking for a double digit sack artist. They're looking for a bunch of guys that can get 6 or 7 sacks, generate pressure and allow the DB's to cover. If a guy like Oliver or Allen are sitting there at 8 and wind up with 10 sacks, I don't think they'll complain. I just don't think that they'll be trading up.

In his press conference today, he was talking about so called "undersized OL who people think should be kicked inside". He was using Matt Light as an example but clearly was referencing Jonah Williams.

Gents-

my GM for a Day topic was my first post here....it wasn’t a hit.  So I’ll try again.   Lol

Id trade down sure.  Id stay put, I’d even trade up...... just get the right guy.   It’s not a draft value “puzzle,” and half the guys we are discussing won’t make it til round two, and another group will fall 2-3 rounds.  

At #8 we need an impact player.  Or we need to trade down and get at least 3 starters. 

Aka- Devin White better be head and shoulders above Jarred Davis.  A 23 year old lb who had 100 tackles and 6 sacks last year.  He “might be.”

will Geedy be that much better than Coleman?   We spent 9m a year on Coleman   

Will that 2nd rd guard be better than Wiggins or Crosby?

Okwara and Flowers were top 30 nfl sack guys last year.  Who do you  bench for burns or sweat?

Amendola?   Robinson?   Walker?   

Those are the 3 weakest spots in my min.

Not just Amendola, but we have 1 and 2 years max left on 2/3 of our starting wrs   Both coming off injuries    

It’s Taboo around here, but I’d argue that trading down would allow us to grab N Harry or AJ Brown.   

If we stand pat Oliver over Robinson is contract insurance, and massive upside    

• Like 1