Possible Trade-Back Scenarios

Just Want A Title

19 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

The understanding that I have of the Patriots style defense is that they aren't looking for a double digit sack artist. They're looking for a bunch of guys that can get 6 or 7 sacks, generate pressure and allow the DB's to cover. If a guy like Oliver or Allen are sitting there at 8 and wind up with 10 sacks, I don't think they'll complain. I just don't think that they'll be trading up.

In his press conference today, he was talking about so called "undersized OL who people think should be kicked inside". He was using Matt Light as an example but clearly was referencing Jonah Williams.

I understand the Patriot way of doing things however the Patriots don’t draft top 10 so comparing top ten picks with the last few picks in the first round isn’t really relevant.

The Patriots look for guys based on where they’re drafting. Do you think the Patriots would choose not to add elite talent if they drafted top 10? 

The Lions draft scenarios are totally opposite to the Patriots. 

I read the bit about Williams. Assumptions can be made about anything Quinn says. 

Edited by diehardlionfan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

I understand the Patriot way of doing things however the Patriots don’t draft top 10 so comparing top ten picks with the last few picks in the first round isn’t really relevant.

The Patriots look for guys based on where they’re drafting. Do you think the Patriots would choose not to add elite talent if they drafted top 10? 

The Lions draft scenarios are totally opposite to the Patriots. 

I agree with this, also I am not sure how many times it can be said, the Patriot way is to have the best coach of all time who can slow down the greatest show on turf with a bunch of average players out there.  Having the best coach of all time is the thing missing whenever someone leaves the Patriots and tries to do it the "Patriot way".  I don't mind using some influence of what these guys did in NE, but putting yourself in a box and only doing it that way is a good way to fail, as every other NE protégé has shown.

58 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

I feel like punching something every time I hear this patriots way bs

Wtf have they done in the draft 

Win Superbowls?

Just because they don't draft guys that make us say "they won the draft", the whole point in all of this is to win championships. They bring guys in, get the most out of them, let them walk and replace them with another guy without a huge drop off. They do all of that and win in the double digits and bring home the hardware. 

I hate them, especially Brady, but they make it all work. 

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Win Superbowls?

Just because they don't draft guys that make us say "they won the draft", the whole point in all of this is to win championships. They bring guys in, get the most out of them, let them walk and replace them with another guy without a huge drop off. They do all of that and win in the double digits and bring home the hardware. 

I hate them, especially Brady, but they make it all work. 

Like slim said it's more the coaching 

They still don't draft well

Edited by Rockcity2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Like slim said it's more the coaching 

They still don't draft well

They usually draft well enough. But their coaching gets the most out of players in that system/scheme.  That's why a lot of players struggle when they go elsewhere as well.  Its partly why I am nervous about Flowers, but at least we run a similar scheme. They find players that excel in their scheme and that's good drafting to me. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

They usually draft well enough. But their coaching gets the most out of players in that system/scheme.  That's why a lot of players struggle when they go elsewhere as well.  Its partly why I am nervous about Flowers, but at least we run a similar scheme. They find players that excel in their scheme and that's good drafting to me. 

Kinda makes no sense.. they draft well enough but not well enough to keep them...

3 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Kinda makes no sense.. they draft well enough but not well enough to keep them...

What does that mean?  They draft guys that fit their system.  they then don't resign them because they are confident in their next draft picks instead of paying them 18M a year.  They have drafted quite well over the years, finding guys who excel in their system and lead them to championships.  Just because they don't overpay to resign them doesn't mean they suck at drafting.

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

What does that mean?  They draft guys that fit their system.  they then don't resign them because they are confident in their next draft picks instead of paying them 18M a year.  They have drafted quite well over the years, finding guys who excel in their system and lead them to championships.  Just because they don't overpay to resign them doesn't mean they suck at drafting.

But who would they be over paying?? I get why they let flowers go but who else.. 

Just goes to show how far a great qb and great hc can take you

16 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

But who would they be over paying?? I get why they let flowers go but who else.. 

Just goes to show how far a great qb and great hc can take you

Malcom Butler
Asante Samuel
Nate Solder
Jimmy G
Matt Cassel
Patrick Chung the first time, got him on a reasonable deal when he came back
Vince Wilfork

Guys they have drafted and kept as key pieces of their team
Tom Brady
Julian Edleman
Gronk
Gostkowski
Donte Hightower
Marcus Cannon
Devin McCourtey
Sony Michel
Isiah Wynn
David Andrews

There have been plenty more over the years that they have let go when others thought they should have kept them.  they also do a great job of making gold out of others trash like Trent Brown, Kyle VanNoy...  And those guys they do not overpay when they are due big money.  They either draft a replacement or slip a mid/late pick for someone.  They just don't overpay and they don't have to because they get enough out of their draft picks, which again is coaching but if you are talking about the success of drafts based on how many guys help you win a super bowl, they are doing a pretty good job at it. Especially since they are always drafting at the bottom of the first round.

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Malcom Butler
Asante Samuel
Nate Solder
Jimmy G
Matt Cassel
Patrick Chung the first time, got him on a reasonable deal when he came back
Vince Wilfork

Guys they have drafted and kept as key pieces of their team
Tom Brady
Julian Edleman
Gronk
Gostkowski
Donte Hightower
Marcus Cannon
Devin McCourtey
Sony Michel
Isiah Wynn
David Andrews

There have been plenty more over the years that they have let go when others thought they should have kept them.  they also do a great job of making gold out of others trash like Trent Brown, Kyle VanNoy...  And those guys they do not overpay when they are due big money.  They either draft a replacement or slip a mid/late pick for someone.  They just don't overpay and they don't have to because they get enough out of their draft picks, which again is coaching but if you are talking about the success of drafts based on how many guys help you win a super bowl, they are doing a pretty good job at it. Especially since they are always drafting at the bottom of the first round.

Well they paid rob.. And have a qb who actually cares about winning more than the money.. if Brady wanted to be the highest paid player I'm sure he could have been...would they let him walk...and that in its self changes a lot

Think they overpaid Hernandez too

They are creative with fa and take shots there even with "troubled players" something the lions refuse to do

Rob got paid but didn't get overpaid.  he was still well below any #1 WR and put up similar numbers while also being one of the best blockers ever.  So they paid him, but didn't overpay him. 

Hernandez was similar, and had his unfortunate situation not arose, he would have likely still been a decent contract. 

They take shots with troubled players because they have the culture to be able to do so. They also have shown they will cut a troubled player as soon as they mess up even if it would help them.  I am not sure the Lions have a culture and the right leadership to take on too much at this point.  Its a lot easier to keep someone in check when you point to your 6 rings and say my way or the highway as opposed to 1 playoff win in the Super Bowl era and pretending you know how to win.

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Rob got paid but didn't get overpaid.  he was still well below any #1 WR and put up similar numbers while also being one of the best blockers ever.  So they paid him, but didn't overpay him. 

Hernandez was similar, and had his unfortunate situation not arose, he would have likely still been a decent contract. 

They take shots with troubled players because they have the culture to be able to do so. They also have shown they will cut a troubled player as soon as they mess up even if it would help them.  I am not sure the Lions have a culture and the right leadership to take on too much at this point.  Its a lot easier to keep someone in check when you point to your 6 rings and say my way or the highway as opposed to 1 playoff win in the Super Bowl era and pretending you know how to win.

So we need rings and culture to take shots on players.. how the hell you think they got some of them rings in the first place..

2 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

So we need rings and culture to take shots on players.. how the hell you think they got some of them rings in the first place..

A more in depth answer, we don't need rings, but need to have some consistency as a winning team.  I'd like Stafford to be more of a leader and run the team, sort of like Brady.  He doesn't seem to let people screw around much and is part of that culture.  We don't have great leaders from what I have seen.  Our best players have all been humble, quiet, lead by example guys.  Those are the kind that don't do well with headcases/problem kids.  But it all boils down to a coach who can make guys fit in his system, which gives him the power to say shape up or ship out.  If Josh Gordon wants to come win a championship, he can, but when he screws up, he is out.  And they replace them with other peoples trash in Patterson, or throw to the RBs more.